Sponsored

Did I fuq up? Potential Lift / Wheel mismatch?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Preface all of this with this is my first Jeep, so I'm a newb.

OK, so I had been so damn proud of myself. I purchased lovely Hostile Predator wheels in a 20x9 size. They have a -0 offset and 5 inch backspace. On these I put 37x12.50R20 Ridge Grapplers. I love the look of the combo and they ride great. Please no unhelpful comments about 20s on a Jeep, as this is what I wanted, pure and simple. Anyway, I really dug the way the -0 offset stick out about an inch, which really looked right to me initially. Of course, with no lift and no inner fender mods, I'm rubbing like crazy and have been spending an inordinate amount of time researching suspensions.

Anyhow, here's the main issue. Many of the serious lift companies (looking at Rock Krawler and Metalcloak recommend no more than 4.5 inches of backspace. I have 5 inches.

Now I'm wishing I had gone with a wheel with more negative offset, and less backspace. Have considered Synergy wheel spacers, but that would equal -42mm of offset on my currently -0 offset, and way more than I wanted. I mean that's pretty bow-legged if you know what I'm saying.

So my question is , how badly did I screw myself if I wanted to a serious lift? At there any other options out there?

Or am I just tripping over nothing and should not worry about it?

Side (2).jpg
Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I think you be trippin', bro. If you're happy with the way your ride looks and you're not breaking any laws in the process, From what I can see in the photo, I don't think it looks bad...in fact, it's about like mine...maybe just a tad different than mine. I'd say you're lookin' good. :like:

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Once you lift your Jeep i think you should be fine. I'm running 4.75 backspace wheels with -6 offset I believe with no rubbing. 4.5 backspacing is a "recommendation" does not mean you have to run that. As long as you don't have massive control arm or inner fender well rubbing on the body side you should be fine.

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have 5in back spacing on my wheels with 35x12.5 tires. I have Rubicon springs and shocks along with Taraflex 1.5in leveling kit. Also mopar lower control arms. No rubbing at all.

Last edited:

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
If I am reading this right, you could always add wheel spacers if you don’t like the look. Is it rubbing on the LCA’s?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Preface all of this with this is my first Jeep, so I'm a newb.

OK, so I had been so damn proud of myself. I purchased lovely Hostile Predator wheels in a 20x9 size. They have a -0 offset and 5 inch backspace. On these I put 37x12.50R20 Ridge Grapplers. I love the look of the combo and they ride great. Please no unhelpful comments about 20s on a Jeep, as this is what I wanted, pure and simple. Anyway, I really dug the way the -0 offset stick out about an inch, which really looked right to me initially. Of course, with no lift and no inner fender mods, I'm rubbing like crazy and have been spending an inordinate amount of time researching suspensions.

Anyhow, here's the main issue. Many of the serious lift companies (looking at Rock Krawler and Metalcloak recommend no more than 4.5 inches of backspace. I have 5 inches.

Now I'm wishing I had gone with a wheel with more negative offset, and less backspace. Have considered Synergy wheel spacers, but that would equal -42mm of offset on my currently -0 offset, and way more than I wanted. I mean that's pretty bow-legged if you know what I'm saying.

So my question is , how badly did I screw myself if I wanted to a serious lift? At there any other options out there?

Or am I just tripping over nothing and should not worry about it?

Side (2).jpg
Most likely they’re talking about rubbing when turning the wheels, possibly hitting the lcas. Just turn out your steering stops a little, that should keep you from rubbing while turning.
Sponsored