AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for recommendations. On our last road trip to Montana/Idaho we had a couple close encounters with deer on the side of the road.
What is everyone using if any?
Sponsored

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember back in the day people sticking these chrome things on their bumpers. For the most part, I thought it was nothing more than to call the deer onto the road! I am doubtful they work. Deer have become used to man made sounds of cars and trucks that even a whistle deterrent might not faze them. The highway people need to stop putting deer crossing signs near the road. Damn deer keep crossing there...

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There have been many studies on the effectiveness of deer whistles. Nearly all of them conclude that do not alter deer behavior enough to have any effect on preventing deer-vehicle collisions.

Driving slower and being alert remains the best way to avoid deer collisions.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
In a similar vein, if anyone knows any good deer CALLS, that would be great as well (deer hunt coming up in a couple weeks...)

Sponsored

CWOFOR

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Avalanche/2022 Harley Freewheeler
Occupation
Retired Marine CWO-4
As previously stated, remaining alert to them is the best way to avoid the accident. Always be prepared for them to come across as you get closer.
Now for the bigger question, why are you driving on the side of the road? ;)

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I did some googling and it appears that they are mostly snake oil. I'll be investing in more lights instead to better see them coming.

BLU392

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392xr
In a similar vein, if anyone knows any good deer CALLS, that would be great as well (deer hunt coming up in a couple weeks...)
“here deer, here deer, deer, deer deer deer. Here deer, deer, deer deer deer”

Fredmilo

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 1995 YJ, 1950 M38
I used to be a Paramedic. I went on a 911 call for a San Jose police officer riding a huge Kawasaki cop motorcycle on the highway that ran into a black tail buck deer. The deer was dead, the cop had moderate injuries including a broken antler impaled into his thigh. On the long ride to the hospital he said he was concerned about hitting deer on his bike, so he installed two deer whistles that supposedly repel deer. He told me he had seen the deer alongside the road, that it had seemed to be drawn to the whistle sound. He swore if he just didn’t have those whistles he would not have had the deer collision. If you want illegally obtained venison, get the whistle.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I used to be a Paramedic. I went on a 911 call for a San Jose police officer riding a huge Kawasaki cop motorcycle on the highway that ran into a black tail buck deer. The deer was dead, the cop had moderate injuries including a broken antler impaled into his thigh. On the long ride to the hospital he said he was concerned about hitting deer on his bike, so he installed two deer whistles that supposedly repel deer. He told me he had seen the deer alongside the road, that it had seemed to be drawn to the whistle sound. He swore if he just didn’t have those whistles he would not have had the deer collision. If you want illegally obtained venison, get the whistle.
Hey the method of take is perfectly legal and there are no laws against calling deer. In fact, with this method of take, no tag or license is necessary and you may take deer in any zone all year round.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
I did some googling and it appears that they are mostly snake oil. I'll be investing in more lights instead to better see them coming.
Well actually, if you add some lighting get flood light patterns. Not spot lights, ever heard of "the deer in the headlights look"? They will literally stop, right in front of you. Flood light pattern off the side of the road will help you spot them quicker & keeping your headlights on low beams.

You are correct though, those whistles do nothing! Definitely good to stay alert & be prepared to stop.
:rock:

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
On a more practical level...
This time of year the deer start the rut. Doe blee call can work pretty well. Or rattle some antlers, even the plastic kind can work, & use a grunt call. The bucks will think other bucks are fighting over a doe & come check things out. Doe will come around too if you can hunt them. You can here in TN with a permit & the doe are pretty tasty.

But, we have soooooo many deer around here it is ridiculous.
:like:

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Never believed that deer whistles did any good (and as already mentioned, might attract deer out of curiosity). Think it would be better to get a louder exhaust or a louder horn, or something that might scare them in the other direction if anything.

Or just get one of Bub Rub's Whistle Tips installed..

;)
Sponsored