Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hi All,

I had my local dealer install the AUX switch bank in my 2019 Sahara. It has been a complete mess, to say the least, and they are currently not functioning.

To give a little background, I had the dealer order the parts - it was slightly less expensive if I ordered them myself, but I figured let them deal with it, and if something is broken, its their problem. The Dealer originally quoted me 1.5 hours labor to intsall. Sounded like a great deal based on the many threads I have read on here. When I brought the Jeep in for the appointment, they called me within a half hour to say that the install was far more complicated than what they quoted me. After an argument, we agreed on a price that I felt was still acceptable (3 hours, my limit) and they got to work. Later that afternoon they called me to say the Jeep wasn't ready and it was taking longer than expected, and they needed it overnight. No extra changes on the labor. To make a very long story short, they had it for two full days. Clearly whoever was doing this hasn't done it before. When I picked it up, the Aux functions were not programmed in the Uconnect. They assured me that they flashed it properly but forgot to add the code to my Vin. They added the code and told me to call if they didn't work. I knew it was BS but I was out of patience, needed the Jeep back and figured I'd go back in a few days to have them troubleshoot. Right now the backlights dont come on, and the orange LED's don't activate. AUX is also not present in the Settings screen, but the dealer code for the aux switches is on my VIN in the Jeep app.

I'm trying to do a little troubleshooting on my own at home. I took apart the switch bank on the interior to make sure the harness was fit properly. I re-plugged it in make sure, no change. A few questions, before I waste even more time at the Dealer:

1. If they did not properly flash the computer, would the switches still illuminate?

2. I noticed that I do not have fuses for F50 and F72; having read other threads, is that an issue, or is that all held in the PDC?

3. I have read a few things about an orange wire not being listed properly in the Mopar instructions. Were is this located - I can check that on my own.

I know this has been covered a million times with a million different problems and answers before, so thanks in advance for reading this and shedding any light.
Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I self installed the Aux Switches about a month ago. My switches didn't work until I used JScan to set them up. The orange wire mentioned is behind the passenger's kick panel inside the vehicle. The procedure is, to unplug the orange wire terminal from the big connector and put a supplied wire pigtail into the vacant spot which is then connected to the wire which was removed. Fuses F50 and F72 I don't have any info on, but I never had to remove or replace any of the fuses in the fuse panel. But did remove and replace the entire fuse panel during the install. I found it to be a fairly difficult process, but mainly due to the accessing the rubber boot where the wires pass through the firewall. If the Tech had never done this before I can assure you the he or she had a struggle. The factory instructions tell you to remove and peel back the inner fender liner ro access the firewall boot. I instead pulled out the main battery, fuse panel, small battery and all the battery mounting hardware like I was installing the Genesis Dual Battery setup. It took me a while, but after I had done this the big rubber through firewall boot was right in front of me. THe factory method has you blindly fishing around with a coat hanger trying to poke a hole in the boot from inside the fender well. In a nut shell: If the install was done correctly, and the flash was successful you should have Aux switches that will illuminate when pressed.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Thank you. I will take a look at the orange wire tomorrow.

I know that the flash was not done properly since the Aux settings are not present in the Uconnect system. That may be the root of the problem.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Thank you. I will take a look at the orange wire tomorrow.

I know that the flash was not done properly since the Aux settings are not present in the Uconnect system. That may be the root of the problem.
I installed them myself.

I wouldn't even mess with the orange wire or anything else until it is enabled properly in UConnect. Until it is, the buttons won't work and the orange lights won't come on. You paid them to do it. I wouldn't give them any reason to blame you.

I would take it back in and make sure they've set the vin correctly. Once I got mine flashed/setup at the dealer, it took about 30 mins for the aux buttons to show up.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I installed them myself.

I wouldn't even mess with the orange wire or anything else until it is enabled properly in UConnect. Until it is, the buttons won't work and the orange lights won't come on. You paid them to do it. I wouldn't give them any reason to blame you.

I would take it back in and make sure they've set the vin correctly. Once I got mine flashed/setup at the dealer, it took about 30 mins for the aux buttons to show up.
Agreed. I did check the wiring under the hood and noticed that the ground was not attached. That may be the reason that the flash didn't work properly. I also checked the 5 amp inline fuse near the battery connection, and that was OK. I'm taking it back in Monday morning. Hopefully this is as simple as them not flashing it properly. The whole reason I was willing to pony up the money for a dealer install was for them to make sure it worked properly and was warrantied!

Would the nighttime backlights work if its not flashed? Currently I have no backlighting on the switch bank.

Sponsored

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Would the nighttime backlights work if its not flashed? Currently I have no backlighting on the switch bank.
They won't have lights at all if the aux buttons aren't enabled properly.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
They won't have lights at all if the aux buttons aren't enabled properly.
Good to know - thank you! Hopefully I'll have some answers Monday.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never had mine flashed at the dealer. I enabled the Switches using my JScan. The only problem I see with this is, that it is not added to my VIN. Therefore it is not covered under my warranty but I believe that my added Genesis dual battery installation, lift, Rhinorack, bumpers and winch has probably technically voided my warranty anyway.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Went to the dealer this morning. About 2 hours later, nothing has changed. They said the switches and wires are all getting power, but the settings are not in Uconnect and they do not illuminate. I suggested they reflash the system and they refused to. The guy there was actually kind of rude and basically told me to fuck off, there was nothing else they could do. They said the system will not work unless I have something hooked up to it. Is this correct? I have some lights coming in a few days.

I’m really frustrated at this point. I feel like I’m getting the run-around and have no way to resolve this. Thoughts?

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
No. They haven't flashed it properly and/or assigned the Aux buttons to your VIN (or the install is bad... my guess is the vin assignment). The lights on the Aux buttons will illuminate regardless whether anything is hooked up. If the buttons don't show up on UConnect, my guess is that the flash/vin assignment hasn't been completed. My guess is they don't have any experience with the install, don't know how to resolve it, and have given up.

I would contact @JeepCares and see if they can verify the assignment went through properly. You paid ~$150 to have the vin assignment completed so I wouldn't give up yet.

You can always purchase something like a tazer to enable the buttons. Since you already paid the dealer though, I think that would be a last resort.

Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never got my AUX assigned to the VIN by a dealer. I simply used JScan and the security bypass harness to set up the AUX module with my Smartphone and it worked. I only have one button set up so far for my light bar. All the buttons illuminate when pressed even though only one has something attached. I have the basic UConnect setup so it doesn't show up there anyway.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
No. They haven't flashed it properly and/or assigned the Aux buttons to your VIN (or the install is bad... my guess is the vin assignment). The lights on the Aux buttons will illuminate regardless whether anything is hooked up. If the buttons don't show up on UConnect, my guess is that the flash/vin assignment hasn't been completed. My guess is they don't have any experience with the install, don't know how to resolve it, and have given up.

I would contact @JeepCares and see if they can verify the assignment went through properly. You paid ~$150 to have the vin assignment completed so I wouldn't give up yet.

You can always purchase something like a tazer to enable the buttons. Since you already paid the dealer though, I think that would be a last resort.
I know that they did not properly flash the computer. They left the Mopar instructions in the Jeep, and the first thing in the book is how to flash the system. It needs to be added to the Vin first and then flashed. They never added it to the VIN, and only did so when I showed them that it wasn’t listed as a Dealer-Installed option in the Jeep app when I first picked it up. They did add it, but never reflashed the system.

The last step in the instructions is to active each button and confirm power with a voltmeter. If the buttons aren’t working, how’d they pull that off? Even I can tell they messed up just by reading the instructions.

I did contact Jeepcares to see if they can assist.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Small update. I’m back at the dealer. The AUX switches are now functional with the computer reflash, but none of the settings are displayed in the Uconnect screen. Frustrating.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Small update. I’m back at the dealer. The AUX switches are now functional with the computer reflash, but none of the settings are displayed in the Uconnect screen. Frustrating.
After the dealer updated my Jeep and the buttons became operational, it took a few hours for the settings to show up.... I would check later in the day.

OP
OP
Rossp

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Another update - the dealer took the car back and did a few more diagnostics. They reset the ECM and the settings showed up. As it is now, everything appears to be functioning properly. My lights are delayed in shipping, so we'll see what happens once I hook everything up. A few things I learned, to offer advice to anyone who is considering this, particularly with a dealer:

1. Make sure the dealer has done this before.
2. Get a labor quote in writing prior to proceeding.
3. The LH2 sales code for the Aux switches must be added prior to the reflash
4. If the switches are functional but there are no settings in Uconnect, an ECM reset may solve the problem.
Sponsored