Sponsored

Dead battery

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 2018 JLUR (2.5 years old) with 39k miles, I had the battery tested and the cells are dead. The Jeep dealership says it would be covered but its passed the 36k miles, I also have the lifetime maxcare warranty but service advisor says it doesn't cover it either.

Is it worth it to get a yellow top optima battery? Its around $294 and the stock oe battery is $199 at autozone?

Thanks
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have the aux tested as well, if it’s going bad or is bad it will pull the main battery down and shorten its life, this is the main reason I went to a dual full size battery route, also Optima batteries are not what they used to be

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have a 2018 JLUR (2.5 years old) with 39k miles, I had the battery tested and the cells are dead. The Jeep dealership says it would be covered but its passed the 36k miles, I also have the lifetime maxcare warranty but service advisor says it doesn't cover it either.

Is it worth it to get a yellow top optima battery? Its around $294 and the stock oe battery is $199 at autozone?

Thanks
Do NOT get a yellow top. I nearly made that mistake last month, but learned in another thread in this forum that those batteries are awful. Supposedly the company was bought out and quality took a dump.

Who tested your batteries? Be sure that they are tested in isolation. I’d bet my lunch your aux battery needs to be replaced, too (or instead).

In the same thread where I was warned about Optima I learned about Full River: https://www.fullriverbattery.com/

I couldn’t wait for an order to ship, so I ended up buying an Interstate battery. (This was for my wife’s GMC, not my Jeep.)

Edit - here’s the thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...et-battery-are-you-running.52977/post-1287707

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@OldGuyNewJeep I found out about Full River batteries when I went to my dual system, they do have slightly less CCA and reserve capacity but I believe the resistance is slightly lower which makes them slightly easier to charge but not by much and the pricing is close, if I had to do over I might have went the Odyssey route as they provide a bit more for the small difference but the Full River tech guys actually answer the phone when you call and that surprised me a lot.

I told them I was testing a NOCO 10 and Odyssey 20 and they love the NOCO chargers and said they prefer either the NOCO 10 or G1500 and I was surprised by that as the charging curve on the Odyssey matches the Full River batteries better but they said that’s only part of what they look at and I could use either one but said AGM’s like to be charged low and slow and NOCO does a good job of that and it’s packed with more features than the Odyssey like recover and force mode and charges a variety of batteries.

I was going to send the Odyssey back but have decided to keep both and maybe once a month use the Odyssey to really ramp up the charge as it holds the batteries at 14.7 longer than the NOCO does

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You should always replace the batteries as a set. The battery should have been under its own warranty separate from the vehicle, unless it was a late 2017 build.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You should always replace the batteries as a set. The battery should have been under its own warranty separate from the vehicle, unless it was a late 2017 build.
I did a factory order in Feb 2018, and got it delivered March 2018.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I did a factory order in Feb 2018, and got it delivered March 2018.
the battery has a 3 year free replacement warranty independent of mileage.

Note that the aux battery does not, it is a 1 year.

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
the battery has a 3 year free replacement warranty independent of mileage.

Note that the aux battery does not, it is a 1 year.
I called the dealer and told them that I had my battery tested and it was dead, I told them that my jeep has 39k miles and 2.5 years old, also that I have the Mopar maxcare lifetime warranty and the dealer said it was out of warranty!!!!!! And didn't mention anything about the battery being under warranty, is there anything I could do? I've already replaced my battery.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I called the dealer and told them that I had my battery tested and it was dead, I told them that my jeep has 39k miles and 2.5 years old, also that I have the Mopar maxcare lifetime warranty and the dealer said it was out of warranty!!!!!! And didn't mention anything about the battery being under warranty, is there anything I could do? I've already replaced my battery.
nope. Next time drag them battery up to them, drop it on the counter and tell them to check it and warranty it.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I had to replace both of my 12v batteries a few months ago, they were completely dead. I only had 17,000 miles on my 2018.