Sponsored

Dead Battery

hotrockparis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I dont know who to ask or if im even posting correctly but apparently no tech at the dealership has fixed the problem.

I have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I do not use it daily. I left it sitting for about two weeks in my driveway bc I had a busy work schedule and used my second vehicle instead. When I finally got in my Gladiator to take her for a spin, right away i noticed the key fob would not unlock the doors. i manually had to unlock the door with the key and of course the engine wouldnt turn at all. I called to have my Gladiator jump started and i took it to the dealership and they replaced the battery. Again, the Gladiator sat in my drive way for a week without it being used due to it not being my primary driving vehicle. when i finally came around to using it, right away i noticed the key fob would not unlock the doors. when i tried to turn it on, it would not turn over all the way to start the engine. this time i had it towed to the dealership without having it jumpstarted bc i wanted them to see and know the issues i was having. this time they replaced a battery relay. i shit you not i left it sitting in my driveway for a week after this and again it wouldnt start. i jumpstart it myself and noticed the auto start/shutoff was disabled. ive always hated this feature and thought well, lets let it sit for five days in the driveway to see what happens with the auto start/shut off disabled. weirdly enough it actually turned on. once the jeep is on, there are NO other issues. she drives like a beauty and i love my Gladiator. i jst find it super frustrating that i bought her brand new and im having to deal w these problems. it’s annoying af! i havent taken it back to the dealership since this last time but im hoping im NOT the only one having to deal with this issue and i HOPE someone can tell me what corrections need to be done. Something, anything because everytime ive explained this to the dealership, they think its ONLY the battery. for now i just her sitting there w the auto start/shut off disabled and hopefully like this, the problem is “fixed”
Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The auxiliary battery doesn’t like to go unused. Either drive it daily or hook your Gladiator up to a trickle charger between use. There are other more elaborate/expensive battery delete/replacement options but a trickle charger is just easier.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I have a similar story but was able to resuscitate the battery.

My car was sitting for a bit. Was doing a few mods one after the other on my free time and completely drained the battery... was all the way down to 4V. I have a NOCO Genius 3500 maintainer so I hooked it up and no luck. Gave me the error message that the battery wouldn't hold a charge. It seems AGM batteries really don't like to be drained and an old style trickle charger is not really recommended for a sealed AGM battery. Also the older maintainers like the G3500 don't recognize a battery that's drained all the way down to 4V... won't even start charging. I assumed my battery was toast.

I did a little research and found a few tricks on line. One being to pull the battery and put it in parrallel with a second charged battery so the combined voltage would be enough for the maintainer to start charging. However prior to doing that I decided to try giving it a jump. At first no luck so I let my jeep sit for about 30min with the jumper cables connected and the other truck running. This time my jeep started so I let it idle for about a half hour and it was around 11-12V. I then hooked it up to my maintainer over night and all is good.

On a side note I did not disconnect the auxiliary battery from the Main battery. I also purchased a new Maintainer the NOCO Genius 10 which says it will charge a battery drained to 1V something I hope never to test...

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Your aux battery might be bad, but if it was drained when the new battery was installed, the new battery would get run down by charging the aux battery. Get it back to the dealer and have them charge and verify both batteries. You should be able to leave it for 2 weeks without the batteries draining.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Also there is a JeepGladiatorforum.com if you want to post there for specific Gladiator questions but the JL and JT share a lot of parts.

Also the search function will bring you a lot of information.

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Your aux battery might be bad, but if it was drained when the new battery was installed, the new battery would get run down by charging the aux battery. Get it back to the dealer and have them charge and verify both batteries. You should be able to leave it for 2 weeks without the batteries draining.
Yes! I have a 2018 JLR 18,000 + miles delivered 7-4-2018. I go two + weeks about every month with out starting and have never failed to start!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes! I have a 2018 JLR 18,000 + miles delivered 7-4-2018. I go two + weeks about every month with out starting and have never failed to start!
@Jimac

Sure, there are owner's like yourself that report they have let the JL, sit, 2, 3, 4, weeks without starting and when they went to start the JL, it started right up.. BUT, many more here have reported and are still routinely posting here that their JL when left for 2-3 weeks would not start.... or they were getting ESS, related EVIC notices..

While the 2018 JL, Owner's Manual makes no mention, the 2019-2020 Owner's manual warns the owner that if the JL is to be left for more then 17 days, I think they say, that the battery(s) cables should be disconnected... FCA is aware, obviously, that the JL does not deal well with sitting unstarted/unused for periods like 2+ weeks..

Remember, UConnect/your JL, in essence.... is lets say alive/online lets say/communicating 24/7 with ..... IF it was not, you could not remote start with the app, find your vehicle with the app, get your health reports, proximity, etc, etc...

With that said there is a heck of a lot going on with your JL, even when it is parked and the ignition is in the off position. LOTS of natural 12v draw and also parasitic draw from say an errant add on... from say a programmer, etc..

My vote is for the JL to be attached to a Battery/Tender maintainer if it is going to sit unused for days, have little driving time,seeing lots of short trips weekly and the like. SURE, like jay walking you may or may not suffer a consequence by disregarding things lets say, but............

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
@Jimac

Sure, there are owner's like yourself that report they have let the JL, sit, 2, 3, 4, weeks without starting and when they went to start the JL, it started right up.. BUT, many more here have reported and are still routinely posting here that their JL when left for 2-3 weeks would not start.... or they were getting ESS, related EVIC notices..

While the 2018 JL, Owner's Manual makes no mention, the 2019-2020 Owner's manual warns the owner that if the JL is to be left for more then 17 days, I think they say, that the battery(s) cables should be disconnected... FCA is aware, obviously, that the JL does not deal well with sitting unstarted/unused for periods like 2+ weeks..

Remember, UConnect/your JL, in essence.... is lets say alive/online lets say/communicating 24/7 with ..... IF it was not, you could not remote start with the app, find your vehicle with the app, get your health reports, proximity, etc, etc...

With that said there is a heck of a lot going on with your JL, even when it is parked and the ignition is in the off position. LOTS of natural 12v draw and also parasitic draw from say an errant add on... from say a programmer, etc..

My vote is for the JL to be attached to a Battery/Tender maintainer if it is going to sit unused for days, have little driving time,seeing lots of short trips weekly and the like. SURE, like jay walking you may or may not suffer a consequence by disregarding things lets say, but............
I wonder if having a sport (no power locks or remote anything) makes a significant difference in the key off power draw.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I wonder if having a sport (no power locks or remote anything) makes a significant difference in the key off power draw.
For sure, it would make a little difference.

UConnect in general though, is a major offender let's call it.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
@Jimac

Today i was prepping for a run in the sierras (Dusy of grid 7-8 days).. bumping my country while i was installing my stickie tires, loading gear, changing oil.. and boom.. music stopped.. which was normal cause the stupid program shuts off the sounds every 20min, i assume as a battery saver.. normally I can run the radio for 6+ hours, today was 3-4 and what really bugged me is the programing did not save enough energy for it to restart.. so now I have to go into custom solution to solve for Jeeps poor engineering.. you would think they would account for this scenario vs stranding somebody for listening to the radio too long..

That said, I am looking to the smart folks on this forum for a path forward, just buy a better battery (s), dual battier, carry a spare (yeti etc)..

Love to hear your thoughts..

TC

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Good points, I am leaning hard on going with, Cutting edge power.. here was they said based on the requirments I sent them:

Hey Tom,

We’ve had a lot people asking for things like you describe, only they haven’t been as clear and descriptive as yours.

Here is what I take from your email:

I think it would be best to start with our Fortress model. Do you need a 120VAC output (inverter)? If so, the 500W would be versatile and small enough to mount inside.

• We could compress the size of the Fortress, and use this enclosure:

• The product needs jumper terminals like this installed on the side:

• 5/16” Post terminals on the side for Warn Winch, similar to what we use on our standard boxes:

• Isolator so that Jeep doesn’t die, and alternator charges both batteries:
https://cuttingedgepower.com/produc...or-to-trailblazer-or-fortress-solar-generator

• Rugged upgrade 4x4 mount for Optima battery:

• A rugged, waterproof, shockproof MPPT charge controller

I am a little concerned with the requirement of charging the Jeep battery with solar. It’s definitely possible but it may be difficult to do without voiding your Jeep’s warranty.

These upgrades would bring the price up to about $1,344. After discussing with my team here though, we feel this product has a lot of potential, and we would love if you could be the first one to give us feedback on it. So, I was able to get you a discount of 25% down to $1,008.

Let me know what you think, or if you think we need to add / remove or adjust any of these features.

Thanks again,

Bobby Cardona

Innovative Renewable Energy Solutions

CuttingEdgePower.com

Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 7:49 PM
To: Sales <[email protected]>
Subject: product recommendations for off grid Jeep

Recently I was prepping for camping out in the sierras.. and the battery died after 2 hours of use.. Jeep wont allow dual batteries without voiding the warranty..

Thus my research begins…

I need the following:

A box that fits a Optima DH6 AGM battery (11x7x8H)

Plug in jumper cable (fast connect) to jump my Jeep when it fails

Connections to Warn Winch

Trickle charge both the jeep battery (AGM) via solar and or off grid battery (AGM) >10amp

Monitor and automatically charge both engine and off grid AGM batteries, detect when engine is on, thus use alternator vs battery for Jeep battery recharge

The ability to ensure the battery box and the Optima (in the box) are well secured for extreem bumpy 4x4 roads

The ability to be off grid 7 days while using modest stereo and camp led lighting

Seems like https://cuttingedgepower.com/products/trailblazer is pretty close, but maybe over kill..

I would “Like” the following:

The ability to connect to 300-500 watts of solar

ARB Fridge (2amp/hr or 50 amps per day)

MPPT controller

The ability to daisy chain 1 or more AGM battery boxes for extended off grid (when whether is bad = no sun)

https://cuttingedgepower.com/produc...-our-powerhouse-solar-generator-battery-boxes ?

Thanks in advance..

TC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

------------------------------------------

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.. and or better ideas..
Sponsored