Dash Cam (for beginners)?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I’ve been eyeing BlackVue. Let us know how the install goes. Will you hard wire? That’s how I want to do it. Maybe tap the garage door opener power source?
OGNJ, My garage door opener doesn't work unless the engine is running, not even in "accessory" mode. It's really been a nuisance since all my other vehicles have power constantly and often park and shutdown in the street or driveway, then remember to open the garage door. I may have to see about re-wiring that circuit.
Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I received my Blackvue today and I'm going to mount it this weekend.
Just have 2 more questions for you :)
1. Is the camera holding well on the plastic behind the rearview mirror? Did you use any special tape?
2. Where did you hide all that extra wire that connects the front camera to the rear camera??
Thanks
The adhesive that came on the camera held for about 4 weeks before the camera fell and hung by the wires. I replaced the original adhesive with 3M VHB 4950 Tape. So far it is holding fine. Just be sure to clean the plastic with an alcohol prep wipe.

That long cord to the rear camera sucks. I contacted BlackVue for a shorter cord, but none is available. I tucked the excess cord under the windshield header trim.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
The adhesive that came on the camera held for about 4 weeks before the camera fell and hung by the wires. I replaced the original adhesive with 3M VHB 4950 Tape. So far it is holding fine. Just be sure to clean the plastic with an alcohol prep wipe.

That long cord to the rear camera sucks. I contacted BlackVue for a shorter cord, but none is available. I tucked the excess cord under the windshield header trim.

Thanks once again :)
In the meantime i found a replacement wire for the rear camera. Hope 1.5ft is enough to mount it like you did.
https://www.thedashcamstore.com/rep...-550-650-750-900s-2-channel-secondary-camera/

VGxHC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU
I installed a BlackVue dashcam this past weekend. Mounted the front camera just in front of the rear view mirror and mounted the rear camera just behind the rear view mirror for interior surveillance during parking mode. For power I used BlackVue's Power Magic EZ OBD2 adapter. Easy install and very happy with the results. Cameras are not effected by top removal, nor windshield folding.

DCAM - FRONT1.jpg

DCAM - FRONT2.jpg

DCAM - REAR.jpg
What model Blackvue?

Sponsored

Chooglin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
A pro-tip that I will share after testing for about 2 months now. If you want a constant recording cam that does not drain your battery or bank account... you can install a 10-20,000 MaH power bank (USB portable battery charger) inline between the power source and your dash cam. I have an old Anker power bank behind the dash and this keeps the camera recording (loop mode, overwrite old files unless shock sensor is triggered) 24x7. Daily driving and road trips keep the power bank charged. Last time I inspected the battery pack after a week of just light daily driving it was at over 75%.

My dashcam is nothing special, older 1080p amazon cheapo. It works fine, just needed to bump the "shock sensor" to the highest tolerance or else it will fill up the SD card with saved clips on every speed bump or gravel road.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
So, I finally mounted the Blackvue DR900S-2CH with the Power Magic EZ.
Setup was pretty easy and is working just fine, and is discrete enough.
I´m having a little trouble with the EZ. Just managed to get it to work with the setting on the photo. Every other combination does not power the dash cam, even with the car running. :/

Blackvue 1.jpg

Blackvue 2.jpg

Blackvue 3.jpg

Blackvue 4.jpg

Blackvue 5.jpg

Blackvue 6.jpg

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked through some threads and haven't seen too many responses, other than Owl as being expensive but possibly worth it. Any suggestions for someone who just wants to defend himself, should there be a reason to? Someone pulled out in front of me this morning and luckily I reacted quickly enough. But someday, I might not be so fortunate. I'd want it to be easily removable for quick storage when riding with no doors/top.
I use a VanTru, it works great. Cheap, effective!

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
OGNJ, My garage door opener doesn't work unless the engine is running, not even in "accessory" mode. It's really been a nuisance since all my other vehicles have power constantly and often park and shutdown in the street or driveway, then remember to open the garage door. I may have to see about re-wiring that circuit.
It’s not supposed to work unless you have it running so if someone were to break into your Jeep or you had the top down at night they will not be able to open your garage door

Jasper519

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Has anybody installed a dash cam that has an 'eyebrow' tint on the front windshield? If so, how well is the camera working to see through it? Still enough clarity?

Thanks

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
So, I finally mounted the Blackvue DR900S-2CH with the Power Magic EZ.
Setup was pretty easy and is working just fine, and is discrete enough.
I´m having a little trouble with the EZ. Just managed to get it to work with the setting on the photo. Every other combination does not power the dash cam, even with the car running. :/

Blackvue 1.jpg

Blackvue 2.jpg

Blackvue 3.jpg

Blackvue 4.jpg

Blackvue 5.jpg

Blackvue 6.jpg
On the photo of the rear, can you tell me what that is that is metal and the Jeep Carpet?
Sponsored