Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Easy to detach for storage when the top is down and doors are off?
Assuming the back camera was mounted with, say, twisty ties and not mounting tape as I did then yes, it would be trivial to, say, disconnect and store the cameras in say a locked glove box or console.
Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I installed a BlackVue dashcam this past weekend. Mounted the front camera just in front of the rear view mirror and mounted the rear camera just behind the rear view mirror for interior surveillance during parking mode. For power I used BlackVue's Power Magic EZ OBD2 adapter. Easy install and very happy with the results. Cameras are not effected by top removal, nor windshield folding.

DCAM - FRONT1.jpg

DCAM - FRONT2.jpg

DCAM - REAR.jpg

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I installed a BlackVue dashcam this past weekend. Mounted the front camera just in front of the rear view mirror and mounted the rear camera just behind the rear view mirror for interior surveillance during parking mode. For power I used BlackVue's Power Magic EZ OBD2 adapter. Easy install and very happy with the results. Cameras are not effected by top removal, nor windshield folding.

DCAM - FRONT1.jpg

DCAM - FRONT2.jpg

DCAM - REAR.jpg
I have been *trying* to hard wire my BackVue in, and there is something going wrong between the fuse box and the Power Magic. I am pretty much to the point of just going with the OBD adapter instead since this thing is driving me nuts. I have spent more time trying to troubleshoot my connection than I care to think about.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have been *trying* to hard wire my BackVue in, and there is something going wrong between the fuse box and the Power Magic. I am pretty much to the point of just going with the OBD adapter instead since this thing is driving me nuts. I have spent more time trying to troubleshoot my connection than I care to think about.
Do you have the aux package?

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the aux package?
I do, but I had it installed after I bought my Jeep. I only have 4 wires (not 6), and they are all under the hood. I am trying the add a fuse method for the ignition controlled wire, and I have the always live coming off the battery. I know the Add A Fuse is wrong in this photo since it is missing the second fuse. I removed it so I don't have live wires in my footwell that are not attached to anything.

The ignition controlled add a fuse is going to the fuse for the heated mirrors. I checked it with a multimeter, and it comes on every time the Jeep is started, even when the heated mirrors are not in use.

DashCamWiring01.jpg
DashCamWiring02.jpg

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I do, but I had it installed after I bought my Jeep. I only have 4 wires (not 6), and they are all under the hood. I am trying the add a fuse method for the ignition controlled wire, and I have the always live coming off the battery. I know the Add A Fuse is wrong in this photo since it is missing the second fuse. I removed it so I don't have live wires in my footwell that are not attached to anything.

The ignition controlled add a fuse is going to the fuse for the heated mirrors. I checked it with a multimeter, and it comes on every time the Jeep is started, even when the heated mirrors are not in use.
Can you please tell me how you have wired it up so far. So you have the red wire going straight to the battery, the yellow attached to an add a fuse and you're using the heated mirror fuse. And you have it grounded correct? Is the orientation for the two fuses on the add a fuse correct?

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you please tell me how you have wired it up so far. So you have the red wire going straight to the battery, the yellow attached to an add a fuse and you're using the heated mirror fuse. And you have it grounded correct? Is the orientation for the two fuses on the add a fuse correct?
No, it is yellow (always on) to the battery. Red (switched) to the add a fuse. It is grounded to bare metal in the driver's side footwell. Both fuses in the add a fuse are the same.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@wranglerguyman it turns out the first Power Magic Pro I ordered was defective. So was the second. I plugged in the third, and everything turned on and worked perfectly. I wasted so much time checking wiring and fuses that were done correctly :mad:

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
@wranglerguyman it turns out the first Power Magic Pro I ordered was defective. So was the second. I plugged in the third, and everything turned on and worked perfectly. I wasted so much time checking wiring and fuses that were done correctly :mad:
Nice! Sorry for the late response, got caught up a bit. The PMP looks really cheap and flimsy so I'm not surprised honestly. A lot of people had issues with it. Luckily mine worked from the get go but I don't think it's working properly. I had it set at 12hours and once the time elapsed it would shut down and wouldn't start up when I turned on the Jeep. So now I just leave it at unlimited.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Sorry for the late response, got caught up a bit. The PMP looks really cheap and flimsy so I'm not surprised honestly. A lot of people had issues with it. Luckily mine worked from the get go but I don't think it's working properly. I had it set at 12hours and once the time elapsed it would shut down and wouldn't start up when I turned on the Jeep. So now I just leave it at unlimited.
I wish there was a different option. At least my wiring is fine so if it dies on me, I can just pop a new (hopefully working) box on again.

Sponsored

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey

DCAM - FRONT1.jpg

DCAM - FRONT2.jpg

DCAM - REAR.jpg
I'm about to order the same exact setup.
Just curious about the Power Magic EZ.
You've said that install was a breeze, and that's what I'm looking for.
How has it been affecting your car battery?
Do you use parking mode?
Thanks

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'm about to order the same exact setup.
Just curious about the Power Magic EZ.
You've said that install was a breeze, and that's what I'm looking for.
How has it been affecting your car battery?
Do you use parking mode?
Thanks
I do use parking mode and the battery has been fine. I have the Power Magic EZ set to shut off if voltage goes below 12.0 and the voltage drop has not gone low enough to shut off camera. Longest parking duration has been about 20 hours. I'm still adjusting parking mode sensitivity so I don't record every leaf blowing by. So far, I'm very please with the set-up.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do use parking mode and the battery has been fine. I have the Power Magic EZ set to shut off if voltage goes below 12.0 and the voltage drop has not gone low enough to shut off camera. Longest parking duration has been about 20 hours. I'm still adjusting parking mode sensitivity so I don't record every leaf blowing by. So far, I'm very please with the set-up.
Thanks for the feedback.
Much appreciated!

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Finally installed mine today. It's a cheap BlueSkySea I used in my prior vehicle. Works well and not expensive if it gets stolen. I like the idea of mounting on the plastic by the rear view mirror since the windshield will be replaced frequently. I ran the wiring kit down the driver's side and made a hole in the grommet which was easy to reach compared to the passenger side. Unfortunately, my wiring kit came with 3 fuse taps but not a micro2 so that's on order. I tapped into my trailer light fuse and verified it worked though and was surprised my wiring kit was long enough without having to go directly down the passenger side.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I received my Blackvue today and I'm going to mount it this weekend.
Just have 2 more questions for you :)
1. Is the camera holding well on the plastic behind the rearview mirror? Did you use any special tape?
2. Where did you hide all that extra wire that connects the front camera to the rear camera??
Thanks
Sponsored