Cracked Windshield Club

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
After reading this thread and being a newbie to the who Jeep thing I emailed my Allstate insurance agent yesterday. She assured me that my $0 comprehensive gives me unlimited replacement of glass and it is original parts. It upped my 6 month policy a whopping $16.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Safelite had OEM when I replaced mine and a non-OEM version that was cheaper. OEM was like $485 and the other was half that. I never heard anything about Gorilla Glass in my efforts to have it replaced.
Could be the non-OEM might be better....can it be any worse?? lol I really dont care about acoustics or little pics of jeeps, etc. If OEM sucks time to change up.

I had my insurance company check to see if Gorilla glass was available from them and it's not. I guess it's only the dealer, and I will call tomorrow. Thing is I cant find all that much on testimonials about how well Gorilla glass works. Seems the outer layer of Gorilla glass is the same as any other glass so you will still get rock hit damage. My understanding is under that coating is the gorilla glass and it stops the hit from being as bad. If I have this wrong please post up.

I'm willing to pay the difference between OEM and Gorilla if it works. I get free replacement but who wants to go through that all the time. I'd rather pony up the cash and be done with it....again if there is a substantial quantitative advantage to gorilla glass.

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Don’t plan on replacing until have to love Jeep glass it’s so thick..

5D97B29F-B5BC-439C-AA3A-5F3682B33171.jpeg

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Oh good, the club is still accepting members. Stone chip and the crack is slowly spreading below my ACC unit. Had my JLR 3 months, 5,400 kilometres and this happens on the highway. Takes a pounding off road though. Go figure.
As thousands have said before me, really Jeep? C'MON MAN.
20190801_080854.jpg

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t realize gorilla glass for the JL had finally even been released.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I am now at 18,000 miles and just finished a driving trip from Michigan to Fairbanks & Anchorage Alaska and with all the Canadian parts in between. Great trip, took about 19 days, around 8,750 miles, and the actually MPG overall was 24.6 (calculated on actual fill up of gallons - with liters converted to gallons). I expected my windshield would get dinged as the chipped rocks sealing on the roads do fly well. I was not disappointed, as I end up with 3 separate strikes ending with long cracks. However, no dings on the body that I could find, so life is great. Oh, one main goal accomplished was to play golf in every Canadian providence I entered and Alaska cities, also added Wasilla on this one. One of the best courses was in Yukon at Whitehorse, Mountain View track.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
6 months in and first crack. Thanks to this forum, I added zero comprehensive to my auto policy and it will cost me nothing.

Safelite showed up with the wrong window. I had told them on the phone I had the ACC window. Now I am waiting for them to find me the correct one.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
2 weeks and less than 750 miles I had my first crack. Local place wants $375 for aftermarket glass.

Sponsored

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
IS anyone having issues with getting OEM glass with ACC camera in windshield?

shannond12

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
IS anyone having issues with getting OEM glass with ACC camera in windshield?
Replaced mine in April with Safelite. Originally scheduled in March and took 6 weeks then so was a bit constrained, but thought it would free up by now.

DanOfTheNorth

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Mine is a 2014... about 114,000 KM and I am on windshield #5.

#1 - Took a rock on a 5 hour drive, by the time I got to the destination it had spiderwebbed all over the driver side.
#2 - Unknown ... could have been a rock ... could have been a bullet ... all I know is it exploded all over the interior of the vehicle ... slowed down and limped into the dealership, as long as they could get me to the airport they could have it for the week. My speed might have been a factor in helping it explode.
#3 - Took a large rock off a semi, I tried to slow down but none the less once more glass all over the interior of the vehicle. I was definitely doing under the speed limit due to the winter conditions
#4 - Windshield would have failed the provincial safety, so got it replaced before changing the plates on it ... under 200 kms from it being installed, a rock chipped the windshield ... all was god with just a simple chip until one night I turned on the defroster and whammo it grew.

Price point was quoted anywhere from $100 through to $700 (if I wanted the gorilla glass option), the $100 was a third party calling me and begging to bring it in. Put one through insurance, but the rest were all out of pocket.

MFSTORMTROOPER

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
zero deductible glass is the way to go, lol. is there a company that makes gorilla glass, or other stronger windshields for jeeps?

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
Three weeks in and mine is cracked. Rock hit below the wiper. Next thing I know there’s a crack running straight up the windshield. Houston freeways are bad for rocks. Glass must be paper thin. Sounds tinny when a rock hits it. I bought the windshield replacement insurance from the dealer based on threads like this one. I guess we’ll see how that works.
Sponsored