RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Well, damn...hello club members :(.

I got a chip/small crack (¼ inch) on the way home today. I do my best to keep my distance from vehicles in front of me, but this freeway merge area is impossible. No trucks ahead, just some cars. Now to see about getting it fixed.

Edit: Safelite quotes $140 to repair a chip :angry:. Time to shop around.

Edit 2: found a local company to come to my house to do it for half that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MGW801

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
Ugh!!
Bought a brand new 2018 loaded Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL) less than 4 weeks ago. A rock smacked the center of the windshield the first week on the freeway. Took 2 weeks to replace. Today - less than a week after the replacement - a small SUV on a side street kicked a rock up and sent a crack down my windshield again . I have had a dozen cars and never seen a windshield crack so easily!!

7902B5B9-56D7-41B7-ACE7-E0A6C25F8D46.jpeg

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Well, damn...hello club members :(.

I got a chip/small crack (¼ inch) on the way home today. I do my best to keep my distance from vehicles in front of me, but this freeway merge area is impossible. No trucks ahead, just some cars. Now to see about getting it fixed.

Edit: Safelite quotes $140 to repair a chip :angry:. Time to shop around.

Edit 2: found a local company to come to my house to do it for half that.
Call your insurance company, it might be free. I called mine before my Jeep came in to ask how a cracked windshield would be covered. They told me to call right away if I notice a chip, they do chips for free. That was Nationwide, no idea what others do.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Since windshields are a frequent replacement item, has anyone tried Sticker Shields? Supposedly a reusable film for you registration, camping and toll tag stickers that allow you to move your stickers to another windshield without damage.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
tho i've been lucky so far. not jinxing. knocking on wood. etc. but i have to ask. are all these windows acrusic window? also if you have window coverage, is the window replacement will be the same as the oem. or you're gonna get a generic one.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
d*mn, we just joined the club today... :-( Only 1,500 miles on our MOAB, (have had it for 6 weeks). Driving down the Superstition Freeway, and "bam". Nice rock! With the heat we have here in Phoenix, the crack is crawling pretty good. Rats!!!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Every reply to this thread makes me more certain that my time is coming.

Bought a RainX repair kit at Walmart yesterday, and put it in the console.

If I get hit, I’m going to pull over immediately and do my best to fix it.

JPOutlaw

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL - The GOAT; 2012 JK - Junior
I used to have to replace my TJ windshield every other year roughly..... JL, I'm on my second in 6 months and it's cracked. It doesn't seem to matter how big or small the stone, it just splinters and goes very quickly. I'd be interested if they have the film like Nascar that might provide some added protection. I have zero deductible on my glass but hate to have the insurance co bitch every 6 months a new $400 windshield.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I got a tiny chip about 8 months ago never a problem with a crack. My wife on the other hand attracts focus for some reason and her car is littered with cracks and chips.

Well had to make the 6 hour drive to Houston the other day and I drove the whole time! I also drove the whole time there but when it come time to leave I had a migraine the night before so once I crossed the Texas line back into Louisiana I let her take over since I was starting to have trouble staying awake.
Damn if five minutes behind the wheel she gets a small rock in the upper drivers corner and within five more minutes a crack half way across the drivers side of the windshield!

So now I am officially a true member of the cracked windshield club! And my insurance has a $500 deductible!

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I officially joined the club this past weekend after just 1,800 miles. :( Just a chip at the bottom centre, no meteor strike! I was doing the speed limit on a recently resurfaced road and some a-hole decided to overtake me and threw up a heap of chips as he went past. If I didn't know better I'd say he knew what he was doing :mad:

Reading through the posts it looks like a good majority of chips/cracks occur at bottom centre, it must be an aerodynamics thing which directs the stone to that area. Speaking of which, I have never owned a vehicle which collects so many bug strikes on the windshield! Have to clean em off every 2-3 days!

Joe650

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicom, 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Occupation
Director, Comm & Signals at Alaska Railroad
I didn't make it past 2,000 miles but I live in Alaska. If you don't have a chipped or cracked windshield here it's because you haven't driven it off the dealer's lot yet.
Sponsored