Cracked Windshield Club

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Here is a pic of the OEM/ Mopar acoustic windshield for the JL/JLU. It displays clearly the Mopar part# and the word "Acoustic".

JLacoustical glass.JPG

Pic courtesy of @iflyimpilot
Sponsored

OP
OP
JL Rubi Khan

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Got my new glass installed today and it looks great - correct acoustic glass and everything. Looks good as factory! Hilarious that the “list price” of it is $675 but the “selling price” is $202.50. Oh well... glad I only had to pay my $100 non-collision deductible instead of the full $368.82 it would have been otherwise. Now please Jeep Gods let this glass last for a while!! :fingerscrossed::please:

F96D4703-DBB7-4BF7-924D-CB9920F4AD0B.jpeg

RKinNH

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Norton Commando, BMW R1200GSA, Triumph TR6, SAAB Aero, Prius
It was 2 weeks to the hour and 1100 miles since I took delivery and windshield crack today. Impact right under wiper blade. I kinda knew about the propensity for cracks from reading this thread. Never thought I would be posting so soon.

But under the doctrine of full disclosure: This is my wife's Jeep. And in the 2 weeks we've had it she has allowed me to drive only a couple of times. Keeps on saying 'when we had a minivan you never wanted to drive that' or 'when we had the SUV you never wanted to drive that but now that I have a Jeep you want to drive it'. She has a point there and now I have an additional strike against me. Guess who was driving it today when the windshield cracked? Right - me and I'm now the bad guy. Well, it was nice driving it & I was enjoying the 6-speed but I think it will be awhile until I'm back in the pilot's chair.

Bluerhino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2005 Porsche 911 S
3 weeks. 1300 kms, Crack! :angry:

I am all for clubs but didn't really want to join this one!

ParkerS12

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jku Sahara 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
I’m still debating whether to get the Corning glass or not. Will insurance still pay out with that option?

Sponsored

re2dan

First Name
Elena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4X4
So sorry to be part of this club. Just bought my 1st Jeep and with only 2oo miles was driving and heard a large crack. Noticed this crack the next morning. I know the Jeeps have lots of windshield issues, but after reading all these posts, it would seem there is a design problem with these new windshields. I'm going to fight to get this repaired under warranty. Wish me luck!!
IMG_3898.JPG

JL1LE

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU White Rubicon
First drive home... and I get I nice welcome to the cracked windshield club. At least the drive across Utah was nice, going back to CA.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cracked Windshield Club {filename}

Last edited:

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
There's a user here that cracked his windshield during a test drive. That has to be the record.

It's like being a member of the club without officially joining.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a pic of the OEM/ Mopar acoustic windshield for the JL/JLU. It displays clearly the Mopar part# and the word "Acoustic".

Pic courtesy of @iflyimpilot
Mine on my sports says almost exactly the same thing except on the left where it says AS1 17 mine has an 18. Same on the right above the Made in USA mine says 17 not 18. Otherwise all the numbers are the same, including saying acoustic.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
If you're going to have a Wrangler, you definitely need to make sure you're aware of what your non-collision deductible is and make sure that includes windshield glass. Figure out what the impact on your premium is and then choose wisely based on the fact that essentially replacing an OEM Wrangler windshield is typically around $400-500+... I think I've read on here that the acoustic Rubican windshield is like $600-700 installed. So really doesn't make much sense to have like a $500 deductible if it's only another $5-10 on your policy premium to have a much lower deductible, because at $500 you're basically paying out of pocket for almost all of the windshield anyway.

I have a $100 deductible and with the amount of windshields I've had to replace, I've gotten good value out of it and the associated premium impact.
So my dealer is selling an "appearance package" for $560. 7 years. Covers, dents, dings, glass and interior damage with no deductible. Sounds worth it alone for the glass.

OP
OP
JL Rubi Khan

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
So my dealer is selling an "appearance package" for $560. 7 years. Covers, dents, dings, glass and interior damage with no deductible. Sounds worth it alone for the glass.
Yeah sounds pretty good... almost too good. Guess I'd just read the fine print. But if it is indeed all that, then you could definitely up your deductible for non-collision claims on your insurance policy to lower the premium.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I’m still debating whether to get the Corning glass or not. Will insurance still pay out with that option?
Mine hasn't cracked yet (fingers crossed), but I am curious as well if providers like safelite will give an option for gorilla glass.
Sponsored