Cracked Windshield Club

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
A YJ and two JKUs... thousands of miles on the interstates, highways, country roads, and offroad... and never one single crack or chip in any of my windshields. Not sure what you guys are doing to see this happen. Hmm...
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
A YJ and two JKUs... thousands of miles on the interstates, highways, country roads, and offroad... and never one single crack or chip in any of my windshields. Not sure what you guys are doing to see this happen. Hmm...
Yeah, we are totally doing something to cause rocks to hit our windshields and crack them. Please tell us what that is, so we can stop doing it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, we are totally doing something to cause rocks to hit our windshields and crack them. Please tell us what that is, so we can stop doing it.
Driving too f****** close to trucks? I dunno, has to be some reason why I've never seen this happen to Wranglers, and I pull this thread up and it's loaded with cracked windshields. It's not like Wrangler windshields are polarized with magnetic rock-drawing material or something. It's a boxy 4x4 like all the other boxy 4x4s we grew up with.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Driving too f****** close to trucks? I dunno, has to be some reason why I've never seen this happen to Wranglers, and I pull this thread up and it's loaded with cracked windshields. It's not like Wrangler windshields are polarized with magnetic rock-drawing material or something. It's a boxy 4x4 like all the other boxy 4x4s we grew up with.
The windshields are much more vertical than other windshields. Mine caught a rock on the freeway when I wasn't even close behind anyone. In your case, it is better to be lucky than good.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JL Rubi Khan

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
The windshields are much more vertical than other windshields. Mine caught a rock on the freeway when I wasn't even close behind anyone. In your case, it is better to be lucky than good.
WXman is signing himself up to catch about 5 new windshields in the next year now... shouldn't have said anything!!

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yesterday at Easter Jeep show a rep from Corning glass was showing a more durable Wrangler windshield. The outer layer of glass is thicker and much more crack resistant. He had a demo piece that did not crack, it only had a small nick in it. The stock glass with the same impact shattered.
Available from Mopar. No idea on price or whether your insurance company would go for it.. It did have all the jeep logo stuff on it.

OP
OP
JL Rubi Khan

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday at Easter Jeep show a rep from Corning glass was showing a more durable Wrangler windshield. The outer layer of glass is thicker and much more crack resistant. He had a demo piece that did not crack, it only had a small nick in it. The stock glass with the same impact shattered.
Available from Mopar. No idea on price or whether your insurance company would go for it.. It did have all the jeep logo stuff on it.
It would definitely be a worthwhile investment for insurance companies to allow for glass that would be more easily repairable than typically having to replace the whole thing!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm a member of the JK Cracked Windshield Club. I've gone through 7 windshields with my 2012 Jeep. My next windshield will be on my 2018 JL so I'm looking forward to joining...
Hah! Same here. I replaced windshields on the JKs I owned almost every single year. It practically became routine maintenance. Although, I always felt like the '10 and earlier windshields could take a bigger beating before they fully cracked.

Sponsored

Steve_South

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
isuzu dmx, prado landcruiser
you can get that windshield from the one that is totall loss on this site.it looks intact, weird.you get a rock he gets a crash..but your window gets a crack, his doesnt.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
unfortunately I’m in the club now too. Have any of you guys been able to find replacement glass? If so how much was it?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
unfortunately I’m in the club now too. Have any of you guys been able to find replacement glass? If so how much was it?
Safelite can get it. You need to call them. Tell them you want the "acoustical glass" windshield for a 2018 Jeep Wrangker JLU. Cost is around $700-800.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Now you all may think I'm crazy, but after reading about so many windshield's cracking AT NEW!!!

My idea is , when I pickup my NEW JLR, I'm going to DETORQUE the four windshield bolts, so the driving/turning/stopping/accelerating won't introduce NEW STRAINS/STRESS'S on the windshield glass--

Because of the new stress of multiple ambient temp. changes and the fact, that these JLs aren't test driven LOOSE and then everything retorqued (like we do for major suspension changes !

It may be wrong, but simple-worth a try !

Whatever

JIMBO
Sponsored