Sponsored

Cracked Windshield Club

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'd keep all the receipts for replacement glass for sure. The problem is more widespread then JLs and FCA products. Something will probably be done IF enough consumers voice up. Or if some enterprising lawyer smells a class action lawsuit in the making.

Looks like the problem probably is the Acoustic Glass. I just did a quick search on acoustic glass. Audi, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru Forums all have reports of acoustic glass being fragile and cracking at much higher rates then previous non-acoustic windshields. Subaru extended the warranty on it's acoustic glass due to cracks from thermo expansion.

FCA must have known about how fragile the acoustic glass is because they offer a 'optional' Gorilla glass that is advertised as more durable. I wonder how much more durable the Gorilla Glass Windshield is? Anyone have a idea of the cost difference between the acoustic glass and Gorilla Glass? FCA probably should have installed the Gorilla Glass as a standard feature but I am sure the bean counters threw that out the window.

I would also be super careful when dropping your windshield if that's you type of thing.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This thread / Drama drama drama... :puke:

RegalZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 Raptor, 2015 JKUR
Never had a cracked or chipped windshield in 30 years, including 4 years in a JK. Got my first one driving back from the dealer last week in December. Finally had it replaced through insurance yesterday morning.

Three hours later on the interstate and hear what sounds like sand hitting the windshield, one of which caused an obvious chip. Stopped to look close and there are literally 6 small chips, one large chip and a 4 inch crack moving up from the bottom, all caused by nothing more than sand sized impacts. This glass is clearly not up to the task

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if this has been brought up before (it's a pretty lengthy thread) but I've read several reports of windshields cracking during remote start and warmup. Several websites discourage remote starting and warming up a vehicle in very cold weather for this very reason. The Jeep heats up FAST and is blowing warm air over a very cold windshield, the thermal shock could easily crack a windshield. I haven't actually measured how long it takes from start to actually blowing hot air, but I'll bet it's not long (2 minutes if that).

Has anyone noticed any correlation between spontaneous cracking and remote start & warmup in cold temps?

Given the frigid conditions many parts of the country have seen this year... maybe it's all due to climate change? :idea:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Less than 2 weeks for me...~$550 for Safelite to replace it for the equivalent acoustical glass.

E18DAA34-BE9E-4E4B-949A-FDAF189E459F.jpeg

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
10 months and 9500 miles, and big crack from bottom center.

In fairness, passed a dump truck last week that was flinging all kinds of marble size rocks up. I was in no position to avoid them. No crack until this morning though.

Last edited:

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Joined the club yesterday. I cannot get over how DEAD CENTER this chip is. I saw it coming on the highway off a semi truck from about 150 feet ahead. Somehow just seems superficial, for now...
IMG_20190306_123823.jpg
2003229782.png

Sponsored

Kevin’s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
I rejoined yesterday. Hit right in the center under the wipers. Heard the hit and didn’t see anything. About the time I gave out that sigh of relief I saw a runner appear moving up very fast. About ten inches long now (my wife says it’s really four inches).

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
I feel so proud to be welcomed into this auspicious club.

Just a hair less than 5k miles: tiny rock or something hit toward the left side and it cracked right away.
Haven't even had an oil change yet and I need new glass.

IMG_20190309_142857.jpg

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
Well not sure this qualifies for this tread, but had a NM storm front come through and within two minutes and two blocks the damage is done. Hundreds of little chips in windshield! Man this is crazy how it doesn't take anything to chip or crack! Piant has some tiny hits, but not like windshield. Headlights (LED) took some hits also. I guess I'll be getting it replaced. Wife's 2019 CR-V took a direct hit dead center in her windshield and made a big scratch, but no crack. I think the size of rock would have gone through the JL.
upload_2019-3-10_11-40-20.jpeg

upload_2019-3-10_11-40-37.jpeg

Big Mo

First Name
99ProblemsJeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Well not sure this qualifies for this tread, but had a NM storm front come through and within two minutes and two blocks the damage is done. Hundreds of little chips in windshield! Man this is crazy how it doesn't take anything to chip or crack! Piant has some tiny hits, but not like windshield. Headlights (LED) took some hits also. I guess I'll be getting it replaced. Wife's 2019 CR-V took a direct hit dead center in her windshield and made a big scratch, but no crack. I think the size of rock would have gone through the JL.
upload_2019-3-10_11-40-20.jpeg

upload_2019-3-10_11-40-37.jpeg
Just had mine replaced last week in Abq using technaglass at the jiffy lube off Menaul. They have the acoustic without the jeep in the corner. After some wheeling and dealing with the corporate office in Utah and military discount, I made it out under 400 installed.

arch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Sting Gray, 1950 Red GMC pickup
I joined the club. similar experience that many mention here. I didn't hear anything hit the windshield, just heard the glass split. had about a 3 or 4 inch run almost dead center at the top that eventually ran to about 8 inches or so. If you look very closely though there was some very small glass chipping in the area of the split, so I guess it had been hit by something at some point. Had it replaced today. I have 13000 miles on vehicle. had one previous rock chip down much lower on the glass that did not run without treatment. I do not believe mine was defrost related. I don't remember if I had defrost on, but I was driving on the interstate and had been driving for over 30 minutes when the split happened. It was in the mid 40's and wet/rainy out. I have never replaced a windshield in my 20 years of driving except for on a rental car once. This is my first Wrangler though.
Sponsored