Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I wonder if it will run on Biodiesel.
I'll never put enough miles on one to make it pay
The manual says B5 is OK but they do not recommend higher concentrations of biofuels.

It's important to remember that these EcoDiesels are using the Bosch CP4 injection pump which already has a terrible reputation for blowing up and results in repair bills of $8,000 to $12,000. And, the Jeep and Ram 1500 applications only use a single fuel filter, unlike the Ram 2500 diesels which use a dual filter system. So it's very critical to use the proper fuel in these EcoDiesels. Lots of guys also use a treatment like Hot Shots EDT with their fuel to add lubricity and hopefully avoid the fuel injection repair nightmare.
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
At one point my wife and I were considering an electric car for her commute to work. I found several real life comparisons that compared the maintenance costs and fuel (or avg price per kw) for both. Turns out full electric isn’t cheaper than gas over a 5 year period.
Yep, compared a car that got around 38mpg to a hybrid of 50mpg many years ago when I commuted 120 highway miles each day. The price difference wouldn't break even until 200k miles. The diesel is for it's torque.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
For those who bought the ED for mpg purposes, are you saving money in the end after factoring in the more expensive fuel, exhaust fluid and engine upgrade cost?
Whether or not you ever break even or save a dime is entirely dependent on the cost of diesel vs 87 in your area and how many miles you plan to drive in that area. Some folks like myself are lucky to live in places where diesel costs less than 87, bringing the break-even point compared to a 3.6 well under 100,000 miles. As others have stated, buy it for the torque and range (especially if you run a heavy setup), but don’t expect to save significant amounts of $$ in the long term unless you’re among us lucky few re fuel prices.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Jeep and Ram 1500 applications only use a single fuel filter, unlike the Ram 2500 diesels which use a dual filter system.
Jeep Grand Cherokees use dual filters. Replaced mine every 15k.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My local Costco has consistently offered diesel for $1.699 for the two months that I’ve owned my JLURD. Regular costs about $.30 more at the same location. Is anyone paying less than that for diesel? Keep in mind that AZ is not normally known for cheap fuel.

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I'm paying about $1.35/gal for diesel in the south end of the valley, and I've seen it for $1.20/gal in Glendale.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those who bought the ED for mpg purposes, are you saving money in the end after factoring in the more expensive fuel, exhaust fluid and engine upgrade cost?
After belonging to this forum for close to a year, I can't recall ANYONE buying the diesel to save money. But...the question has been asked (and answered "don't care" consistently) many times.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm paying about $1.35/gal for diesel in the south end of the valley, and I've seen it for $1.20/gal in Glendale.
That's gotta feel good! That's a full dollar less than regular at most places in the metro area.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
oops! my bad. I'm paying $2.35/gal . . . and Glendale is $2.20/gal

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Only 4 Costcos in Utah sell diesel! And none close.

Diesel was around $2.20ish for the last couple months (a little cheaper than regular unleaded) but the last 10 days or so now we're up to about $2.75ish or more. Unleaded has actually fallen in price. I'm guessing winter blend, but still!

Sponsored

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
The original question does not address the fact that in two years the diesel will likely bring considerably more money used than the gas burner- but seriously, if you are buying one for economy and savings, you should find a used dihatsu. .... 13k miles on my Wrangler Rubi Diesel w 37’s and 3.5 lift. 20 k mi on my gladiator. Gladiator def more expensive to drive.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
At one point my wife and I were considering an electric car for her commute to work. I found several real life comparisons that compared the maintenance costs and fuel (or avg price per kw) for both. Turns out full electric isn’t cheaper than gas over a 5 year period.

If they had a diesel Rubicon on the lot when we went I would probably have it now. I like diesel because 1) they tend to have more stout internals 2) they smell good 3) when we have a zombie apocalypse I’ll be able to siphon fuel out of a military truck while I restock my 9mm and 5.56. Torque is a side benefit.
You literally have the exact same “pro diesel” list as I have.