First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Looking to buy a more powerful impact wrench but my garage starts killing the batteries about the time I open the box for the first time. Then it occurred to me that I've never used my existing tool outside of extension cord range. Also, I expect that I can get a torquer tool if I go corded. Is anyone else breaking the trend and use a corded impact wrench? Thoughts?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Looking to buy a more powerful impact wrench but my garage starts killing the batteries about the time I open the box for the first time. Then it occurred to me that I've never used my existing tool outside of extension cord range. Also, I expect that I can get a torquer tool if I go corded. Is anyone else breaking the trend and use a corded impact wrench? Thoughts?
I have one, but it's a big giant contraption and is hard to get into tight spaces. It is very powerful though, hold on with both hands.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have one, but it's a big giant contraption and is hard to get into tight spaces. It is very powerful though, hold on with both hands.
Jim, based on your location I suspect you understand what heat does to battery life.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I’ve been using one from Harbor Freight for years. It’s quite bulky, and undoubtedly nowhere near as powerful as other options out there. I only need it a handful of times per year for minor garage projects and it has suited me fine. The cord is annoying, but I really can’t justify anything nicer.

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
why not just go with a milwaukee, or dewalt chordless impact ? i have the 1/2 drive, it is a beast. my brother has the 3/8 stubby and it is quite powerful as well. I use mine mainly for tire rotations, and whatever i can get to with it, and the battery lasted almost a year before i recharged it. (obviously i dont use it every day)

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
why not just go with a milwaukee, or dewalt chordless impact ? i have the 1/2 drive, it is a beast. my brother has the 3/8 stubby and it is quite powerful as well. I use mine mainly for tire rotations, and whatever i can get to with it, and the battery lasted almost a year before i recharged it. (obviously i dont use it every day)
I would actually lean that way except my garage gets into the 100s more than six months a year, and that has an exponentially bad impact on tool batteries (vehicles, not so much). My wife would draw the line at relocating my tools into the main house.

Besides...the more I think about it, I spend no more time monkeying with cords than I do with batteries/chargers.

Last edited:

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I would actually lean that way except my garage gets into the 100s more than six months a year, and that has an exponentially bad impact on tool batteries (vehicles, not so much). My wife would draw the line at relocating my tools into the main house.

Besides...the more I think about it, I spend no more monkeying with cords than I do with batteries/chargers.
i was gonna say put them in the house. LOL. I can/do sometimes no wife lol.
do you have a spare bedroom or basement if your not daily using them ? just a thought.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have the Bauer Corded impact from Harbor Freight, works well but is big & heavy.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Snap On makes some killer Battery Powered Impact Guns. Can’t remember but think mine cranks to 300 ft lbs or something like that.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Keep just the batteries inside or perhaps go air tools. The batteries inside your garage even when its hot should probably be fine. 18650 batteries (what is inside a milwauke and similar batteries) are good up to 122F without degrading really. If they stay in the garage long term the temp should be a little cooler, but I imagine at night its not as hot so the temp isn't always 100+.

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-...s researched need,environment, than a hot one.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I live in FL and keep my battery chargers on a bench out in my garage. I have Milwaukee Fuel 18V 1/2" Impact tool and 1/4" impact driver and an assortment of batteries from their 5ah to their 12ah heavy duty and have not had any issues with battery life. I also have a corded 1/2" impact tool but it has a lot of dust on it these days. I charge the battery and then remove it from the charger.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Besides...the more I think about it, I spend no more monkeying with cords than I do with batteries/chargers.
I put an exhaust fan in my garage because the heat was killing my beer fridge. Something to consider.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP here. This what I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07255QCN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an "Amazon Choice", which usually serves me well, and very inexpensive. I'm (if that) just a shade tree mechanic, and for $74 dollars, it should meet my occasional needs. It will likely never be used outside of my garage so the corded power won't inconvenience me.

Hell, I have corded Carplay, and I use that every day, so why not something that I'll use only a handful of times a year.
Sponsored