Impact wrench / driver recommendation?

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’ll chime in on Ryobi. Went down that rabbit hole a few years ago. Have been pleasantly surprised by their 18V offerings. I just built out a basement theater n gym and my impact n drill n nail gun didn’t miss a beat. I do have a big Milwaukee 1/2 impact for big jobs but happy with Ryobi. Never failed me. I have like 15 of their 18V tools. Watch for sales. That’s when you get good deals. It’s the batteries that cost $$$.

8CDFAA28-60E1-4FD7-89C9-CDD594A3BD02.jpeg
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you’re wrenching on your jeep doing typical bolt on mods I value something like the Milwaukee M12 powered 3/8 ratchet over a standard impact gun for most jobs.

You can’t go wrong with DeWalt or Milwaukee. Look at the other tools offered within the battery line and make your decision based on the batteries you will be committing to.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Choose based on the battery. I have ryobi only because you can buy generic batteries vs the expensive name brand ones. I’m sure other brands can do it but I’m not sure.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I’ll chime in on Ryobi. Went down that rabbit hole a few years ago. Have been pleasantly surprised by their 18V offerings. I just built out a basement theater n gym and my impact n drill n nail gun didn’t miss a beat. I do have a big Milwaukee 1/2 impact for big jobs but happy with Ryobi. Never failed me. I have like 15 of their 18V tools. Watch for sales. That’s when you get good deals. It’s the batteries that cost $$$.

Jeep Wrangler JL Impact wrench / driver recommendation? 8CDFAA28-60E1-4FD7-89C9-CDD594A3BD02
I like the little 120v inverters for camping.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I got mine from HF. Hercules 1/2inch. It is pretty nice. It is already 1 year old and works just fine. I am not wrenching daily so I dont need some fancy milkwakee or makita or wtver.

I got it on a sale and it is pretty small fits well in most places.

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
There are a wide variety of these made, it helps if you already have drills or other tools that use a certain manufacturer's battery, you can just buy a drive that is compatible with that battery system. If you want a powerful driver then check out reviews by torque test channel on youtube.

I'm old school so I prefer to tighten fasteners by hand, but a power tool is useful for disassembly and especially for suspension work. I'll probably eventually buy a good 1/2" drive tool. I already have a 1/4" hex drive that came with my drill. I'm not sure I need a 3/8" drive but this would be the best size for underhood work. Even working as a mechanic the only impact wrench I used was 1/2". I've seen people use the 3/8" drive air ratchets but those were too slow for me. If you are doing a lot of work all day an impact wrench can save you some time.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My Dewalts have been serving me well for 6+ years and have always managed to convince stubborn bolts to come loose with blut force encouragement therapy. :)

It also helps they have a great chainsaw for camping and trail clearing, as well as drills, etc., etc.

Being able to use the same batteries, as other have said here, is a huge +

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I wouldn’t pick a brand based on a single tool. Look at all of the other tools available that use the same battery and pick a system that has the tools you want. I have both Milwaukee and DeWalt, in both 12/20(60) volt variants and they are both fantastic. I prefer the DeWalt 20v to Milwaukee and 12v Milwaukee to DeWalt, but it’s hard to go wrong with either.

As for the most useful tools working on the Jeep, I really love the 12v 3/8” powered Milwaukee ratchet, and the high torque 1/2” impact from DeWalt.

JL ME

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys ,2006 Roadking , 2008 Hayabusa
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance
I have 18V Ridgid at home and use 18V Milwaukee at work. Both are grate!
Sponsored