control arm confusion

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I really tend to over-think things, so keep that in mind when you rake me over the coals for this question:

had steering box replaced & getting ready to put in a RC 2.5 spacer lift this coming weekend. if needed (I had the dealer install the "self-purchased" longer LCA's when they replaced the steering box), are adjustable LCA's going to be sufficient?
what's the purpose of having adjustable upper & lower..does it allow "pushing forward or pulling back of the axle to compensate for mega-litfs...or is it just a "cool" factor?
I"m really hoping that even with the 2.5 lift, the longer mopar LCA's are going to be sufficient, but one never knows...with that much (little) lift, am I going to have to consider adjustable track bars too?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I really tend to over-think things, so keep that in mind when you rake me over the coals for this question:

had steering box replaced & getting ready to put in a RC 2.5 spacer lift this coming weekend. if needed (I had the dealer install the "self-purchased" longer LCA's when they replaced the steering box), are adjustable LCA's going to be sufficient?
what's the purpose of having adjustable upper & lower..does it allow "pushing forward or pulling back of the axle to compensate for mega-litfs...or is it just a "cool" factor?
I"m really hoping that even with the 2.5 lift, the longer mopar LCA's are going to be sufficient, but one never knows...with that much (little) lift, am I going to have to consider adjustable track bars too?
What kind of off-roading, and what size tires ?

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
What kind of off-roading, and what size tires ?
honestly? probably minimal: mostly forest service stuff with the ocassional tree over the road or washout..nothing too major

315 BFG KO2

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
honestly? probably minimal: mostly forest service stuff with the ocassional tree over the road or washout..nothing too major

315 BFG KO2
As far as the Mopar lift lcas, they’ll definitely help over stock, but they’re at the edge of their effectiveness at 2.5”. The adjustable control arms are so you can position the wheel in the wheel well and adjust caster. The rule of thumb is lowers control wheel base and uppers fine tune caster. Also they increase flexibility. And if you can only do one or the other I always choose lowers because when the axle is flexing the lowers are more involved than the uppers.

At 2.5” of lift your front axle will shift 1/2” to the drivers side. So as far as getting the adj. track bar it depends on if that bothers you or not. Some guys let it go and then there’s me, I have to have it perfect when I set up a lift. Running 35s you can probably get a while out of the stock bar, but you’ll definitely need one at some point. If I was setting up your rig I would do the adj. lcas and front adj. track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket, even at 2.5” of lift. That’s just me. You can definitely just put on the spacers and drive it no worries, it just won’t be as good as it can be.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
As far as the Mopar lift lcas, they’ll definitely help over stock, but they’re at the edge of their effectiveness at 2.5”. The adjustable control arms are so you can position the wheel in the wheel well and adjust caster. The rule of thumb is lowers control wheel base and uppers fine tune caster. Also they increase flexibility. And if you can only do one or the other I always choose lowers because when the axle is flexing the lowers are more involved than the uppers.

At 2.5” of lift your front axle will shift 1/2” to the drivers side. So as far as getting the adj. track bar it depends on if that bothers you or not. Some guys let it go and then there’s me, I have to have it perfect when I set up a lift. Running 35s you can probably get a while out of the stock bar, but you’ll definitely need one at some point. If I was setting up your rig I would do the adj. lcas and front adj. track bar and rear track bar relocation bracket, even at 2.5” of lift. That’s just me. You can definitely just put on the spacers and drive it no worries, it just won’t be as good as it can be.
well, my OCD insists that I try to stay with the same brand of products as far as the LCA's and track bars: I don't believe core 4x4 offers a relocation bracket so it looks like I"ll be getting an adjustable rear track bar as well as the adjustable LCA's & front track bar....

and the first person that says if I get those I'll need a new tie rod & some other gobbledygook is gonna get it right in the kisser ;)

Sponsored

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Does she have a rubicon or a sport? If a non rubicon I’d try it out and see if the axles are shifted much before spending more. The mopar lift gives 4 or so inches of lifts to the sports which renders the lca’s too short. A 2.5 inch spacer on a sport will only be about an inch higher than a factory rubicon so the lca’s may be about long enough. Also with not as much lift you can see if your axles shift enough to justify the extra parts. Plan for it, but you may not need it all.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Does she have a rubicon or a sport? If a non rubicon I’d try it out and see if the axles are shifted much before spending more. The mopar lift gives 4 or so inches of lifts to the sports which renders the lca’s too short. A 2.5 inch spacer on a sport will only be about an inch higher than a factory rubicon so the lca’s may be about long enough. Also with not as much lift you can see if your axles shift enough to justify the extra parts. Plan for it, but you may not need it all.
This will be for my rubi

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
well, my OCD insists that I try to stay with the same brand of products as far as the LCA's and track bars: I don't believe core 4x4 offers a relocation bracket so it looks like I"ll be getting an adjustable rear track bar as well as the adjustable LCA's & front track bar....

and the first person that says if I get those I'll need a new tie rod & some other gobbledygook is gonna get it right in the kisser ;)
It looks like the rabbit hole is getting closer LOL

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Jeep Wrangler JL control arm confusion download (1)