old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
i have test driven 4 JL's (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports, all 4 door).
You would not be in doubt if you had driven a 2-door Jeep . No man can resist a 2-door Jeep .

And no man would ever admit to a wuss Honda or Subaru .

Same as the difference between a Harley and a roller skate .
Sponsored

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
That is an M151”A1” I used the M151”A2” up until 1990 when the HMMV replaced it. The HMMV is a much more capable vehicle.....but you can NOT service it in Field. On the M151; With minimum hand tools, you can fix, or replace almost every component on the jeep....including complete engine / transmission swaps. Shame on the government for destroying 95% of them.

OP
OP

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000XR
You would not be in doubt if you had driven a 2-door Jeep . No man can resist a 2-door Jeep .

If that was true than certainly Jeep would have begun production of the 2 door JL first.

Time to push away from that keyboard, change out of your sweatpants, and get out to the real world and do something. While your there test drive a WRX and NSX and report back.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If that was true than certainly Jeep would have begun production of the 2 door JL first.

Time to push away from that keyboard, change out of your sweatpants, and get out to the real world and do something. While your there test drive a WRX and NSX and report back.
Good answer . The reason they began production of the 4-door first , was (a) because the 4-door JK had been such a big seller , and (b) because they wanted to gouge as much profit as they could . The bean counters don't like the 2-door because less profit , and the bean counters are the ones at a desk counting profits , rather than being out in the real world doing something .

Doesn't change that the 2-door is the better , more agile descendant of the military Jeep . Especially maneuvering on a trail .

Good luck with your IFS Honda or Subaru .

Last edited:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
i drove my 2008 with 165000 miles on 2000 mile towing a 3500 ( max trailer wieght) with 315 70 17 and stock 410 gears . Itwas slooooww up some of the mtn passes but it just kept going and going. The new ones are so much better.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I don’t know, man. I think you have to want the Jeep more of you want to be an owner. If you want a vanilla SUV experience, the Wrangler won’t be your option.

I liken it to owning a motorcycle. If you buy it because you think you’ll learn to like it- you won’t and it will either sit in the garage or get sold within a year. But if you buy it because you really want it and you are looking to selectively forget smooth and quiet driving- you’ll love the JL and will forever own a Jeep.

I guess I’ve seen too many people want to be convinced because they want to be practical and cool at the same time. Unfortunately you need to turn off your brain a bit and replace that section with the part that giggles when someone says “duty” during a serious conversation. . .

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
The two main reasons I want a vehicle that is made in the USA and I think 95% of the parts on a Wrangler are manufactured in the U.S. - more than any vehicle.

My second reason are the improvements. I don't know if Jeep got feed back or the engineers at Jeep took a serious look at the JK, but a lot of thought was put into those improvements and Easter eggs.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The two main reasons I want a vehicle that is made in the USA and I think 95% of the parts on a Wrangler are manufactured in the U.S. - more than any vehicle.

My second reason are the improvements. I don't know if Jeep got feed back or the engineers at Jeep took a serious look at the JK, but a lot of thought was put into those improvements and Easter eggs.
95%? Not quite...
Screenshot_20180911-211418_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S

Oh sweet, another "What's a better/real Jeep: 2-door or 4-door?" discussion. I love this debate .

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Even though I described the Wrangler as unrefined that does not mean I consider it a negative. I find it engaging. I had previously owned a Corvette Z06 that I would describe similarly. Compared to the then current crop of Porsche's it was a bit rough around the edges but was a blast to drive. It provided the visceral feedback like few others. My thoughts are that the Wrangler will provide a similar feeling in which the driver participates fully. The opposite end of the spectrum to auto pilot.
The little roughness interested me too. Came from a V8 M3 which handled amazing on the road. My manual JLUR keeps me engaged driving. I got the dual top and have loved putting the soft top in different configurations every week or so all summer, but plan to get the hard top on in the next month or so here when it holds in the 50s-60s? Will see how it goes.

I've been happy so far. My wife was very excited for the JLUR and likes to drive it a lot. When I ordered mine I figured worse case I could resell it after a few years...at least it is a change of pace. If I need to get back to something refined, there will be plenty of HP options out there in sedan, or SUV trim just waiting!

YMMV :)

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I liken it to owning a motorcycle. If you buy it because you think you’ll learn to like it- you won’t and it will either sit in the garage or get sold within a year. But if you buy it because you really want it and you are looking to selectively forget smooth and quiet driving- you’ll love the JL and will forever own a Jeep.

I guess I’ve seen too many people want to be convinced because they want to be practical and cool at the same time. Unfortunately you need to turn off your brain a bit and replace that section with the part that giggles when someone says “duty” during a serious conversation. . .
Yeah, for some reason I drive with my windows open almost all the time now (obviously when sides or top are down)...and notice 95% of people never even roll their windows down. It's not like a red/blue pill moment, but is nice feeling out of a bubble between being inside and driving around.

Just to prod the OP...life's short, check it off your list?! :like:

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Original Jeep had 2 leg openings . What's to debate ?
The original tv was black and white. Original isn’t always better. It’s a stupid and tired argument. Both the 2 door and 4 door have advantages and disadvantages. They fill different needs for different people. Both are great vehicles and both are Jeep Wranglers. Oh and the JK is nowhere near an original Jeep either, not sure how you sleep at night knowing you own that modern Jeep
Sponsored