Sponsored

Considering a Wrangler but.....

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000XR
I have been mildly intrigued by the Wrangler for some time but the changes JL brought have me taking a more serious look.

First off, I am not sure I am really a Jeep guy or not. I might be and don't know it yet. i have test driven 4 JL's (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports, all 4 door). If I take the plunge it will be a Rubicon for a variety of reasons. Near the top of the list is the steering. Both Rubicons drove straight and both Sports required way too much input to keep it tracking straight. I also like the look of the Rubicon and the way it is equipped. I liked the test rides a bit more than I thought I would. It was a bit unrefined and was fairly noisy at speed but it did provide a nice visceral experience. I can see why folks like these things. I was kinda hoping I could scratch it off my list but that did not happen. I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about one. I don't envision a lot of time spent with the top or doors off but who knows.

A test ride really does not do it for me. I need to live with a vehicle for a period of time to know for sure if I really like it or not. My wife is open to the idea of picking up a Jeep and she is ok with whatever I decide. Money is not a factor. If I decide I don't like it after a few months I would just offload it and go with something else.

We spend 6 months of the year in central Florida near Ocala National Forest and the rest of the year in Wisconsin. I am intrigued by the possibility of wandering aimlessly through the forest and perhaps some areas in northern Wisconsin as well. Don't really need the Jeep for this but it most certainly will handle it with ease.

Twice a year we will be making the 1200 mile trip from WI to FL and back. We will be making the trip with 2 vehicles. One will be hauling a boat at 2600 pounds with trailer brakes and one will be hauling an open trailer with 2 motorcycles with no brakes and a weight of about 1700 pounds. I will likely take the toughest combination, whatever that turns out to be. One tow vehicle will be a Honda Pilot or Subaru Ascent and the Rubicon could serve duty as the second tow vehicle.

Any thoughts from folks on how well the Rubicon will handle the 1200 mile trip and which vehicle and trailer combination should I drive?

Would I be better off just going with the Pilot and Ascent and forget about this crazy idea?
Sponsored

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
I have been mildly intrigued by the Wrangler for some time but the changes JL brought have me taking a more serious look.

First off, I am not sure I am really a Jeep guy or not. I might be and don't know it yet. i have test driven 4 JL's (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports, all 4 door). If I take the plunge it will be a Rubicon for a variety of reasons. Near the top of the list is the steering. Both Rubicons drove straight and both Sports required way too much input to keep it tracking straight. I also like the look of the Rubicon and the way it is equipped. I liked the test rides a bit more than I thought I would. It was a bit unrefined and was fairly noisy at speed but it did provide a nice visceral experience. I can see why folks like these things. I was kinda hoping I could scratch it off my list but that did not happen. I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about one. I don't envision a lot of time spent with the top or doors off but who knows.

A test ride really does not do it for me. I need to live with a vehicle for a period of time to know for sure if I really like it or not. My wife is open to the idea of picking up a Jeep and she is ok with whatever I decide. Money is not a factor. If I decide I don't like it after a few months I would just offload it and go with something else.

We spend 6 months of the year in central Florida near Ocala National Forest and the rest of the year in Wisconsin. I am intrigued by the possibility of wandering aimlessly through the forest and perhaps some areas in northern Wisconsin as well. Don't really need the Jeep for this but it most certainly will handle it with ease.

Twice a year we will be making the 1200 mile trip from WI to FL and back. We will be making the trip with 2 vehicles. One will be hauling a boat at 2600 pounds with trailer brakes and one will be hauling an open trailer with 2 motorcycles with no brakes and a weight of about 1700 pounds. I will likely take the toughest combination, whatever that turns out to be. One tow vehicle will be a Honda Pilot or Subaru Ascent and the Rubicon could serve duty as the second tow vehicle.

Any thoughts from folks on how well the Rubicon will handle the 1200 mile trip and which vehicle and trailer combination should I drive?

Would I be better off just going with the Pilot and Ascent and forget about this crazy idea?
I'd tow 3500LB in a hart beat. And drive 1200 miles twice a year in a Wrangler, sign me up. Yes A Wrangler's not as civilized as a SUV, but they can deliver big smiles . You could get a Sahara and get a slightly smoother highway ride than a Rubicon. Bottom line Wranglers are cool and fun as hell, especially with the top off.
IMG_5273.JPG
Only downside is Jeeps are highly addictive. If you've got the cash do it, you won't be sorry.

Can you picture self? haha

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)

First off, I am not sure I am really a Jeep guy or not. I might be and don't know it yet.

Money is not a factor. If I decide I don't like it after a few months I would just offload it and go with something else.

I think JL is bringing in a lot of new customers to the Jeep life because it has all the new creature comforts, along with everything that has always been cool about a Jeep.

I love the JL. I like it way more than the 2013 JK my wife had. If money is not a factor, and you can offload it, you have nothing to lose! Go for it and find out if you’re a Jeep guy!

If you get a good deal on the purchase, you won’t even lose much if you have to off load it.

Explore the crazy idea! Forget about the Pilot and Ascent. You’re going to love it!

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wranglers don't have massive towing capacity but the Unlimited can easily handle the 2600lb boat, especially with trailer brakes. Your Pilot takes the smaller trailer. No problems! What color are you going to buy, haha!

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I don’t see the intrigue of owning a Wrangler without taking down the top or taking off the doors. If you couldn’t do those two things, I’m afraid the Wrangler maybe the most overpriced SUV on the market. I suggest looking at a full size truck or SUV. They will do a better job of hauling, provide better MPG and be more comfortable on trips.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
It’s a fun car to drive. Judging by the the Pilot and assuming the Subaru is not a WRX, I would say you are not into fun driving cars. Maybe you should try one.

OP
OP

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see the intrigue of owning a Wrangler without taking down the top or taking off the doors. If you couldn’t do those two things, I’m afraid the Wrangler maybe the most overpriced SUV on the market. I suggest looking at a full size truck or SUV. They will do a better job of hauling, provide better MPG and be more comfortable on trips.
I test drove the new Ram 1500 the same day I test drove a Wrangler Sport. The Ram was very nice and had all the creature comforts one could want. If I was to buy a pickup that would be it. But, I don't have any use for the bed and, for me, it is a little big for everyday use. Even though it was an excellent vehicle it isn't the one that put a smile on my face that day. I don't need a lot of towing capacity. 3000 pounds is plenty.

If I don't go with the Rubicon I will stick with the Pilot and Ascent.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Yeah, the Wrangler will tow those things just fine. But, if the "unrefined" nature of the Wrangler has you concerned, I dont think it's for you. If you want fun and can look past it's shortcomings relative to other modern vehicles, then it may be. If the "off the beaten path" is more of a romantic idea than it is a reality, then it may not be.

But hey, it seems like money is no issue and if you don't like it, you will just unload it without a care. In this case, go for it! I mean really, why not?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd take that trip and then some in my Rubicon. It rides like a Tahoe with the Mopar lift and C rated 315 KO2's. The Alpine will take good care of you, if you like music. If you don't lift it, you'll still have an off-road beast that gets pretty decent mileage. I'd bet you could get 23mpg with the 3.6, or better with the 2.0.

Buy one and try it. If you don't like it, you'll take advantage of the ridiculously high resale value and you won't be out much, at all.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I think you'll be happier with a Honda Pilot (or something similar).

Sponsored

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
If comfortable highway driving is most important to you and your current car is a unibody SUV (Pathfinder, Pilot, Explorer, etc.), you'll likely not like the Wrangler.

If jaunts through the forest/on the beach topless with the doors off are most important to you, the Wrangler will blow your mind.

If both are important to you and you currently own a Wrangler JK or another body-on-frame vehicle (F-150, Tahoe, FJ Cruiser, etc.), you're likely used to the truck-like ride and the JL will feel like home.

I came from a V8 Pathfinder with a 7000 lb. towing capacity. The biggest adjustment was extended highway driving. The Pathfinder feels solid, heavy, and tracks dead straight. It's the kind of ride that allows you to beat your kids in the back while staying perfectly centered in your lane. The Wrangler... well, isn't. It's bouncy and takes constant concentration to keep straight. If you drop a Cheeto, let it go, because when you look up two seconds later, you will have crossed four lanes of traffic and will likely be rocketing up an embankment beside the highway. Four hours in the Wrangler is exhausting. But the sheer fun of the Wrangler and how excited my kids get when we take the doors off makes the Wrangler SO worth it.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I'm in the "considering / haven't bought yet" category myself. For me, the "unrefined" drive is a selling point. I like the engagement, the feeling of doing something behind the wheel. A friend of mine said he hated convertibles because he didn't like road noise, and I looked at him like he had three heads.

The JL is great for bringing interest for the brand from atypical consumers. For example, I'm from a sedan driving, never go off-road family, and for me the JL is opening up a new world.

The problem, however, is that it brings interest from people who may not be suited to the type of vehicle. I can tell you the Ascent and Pilot are nowhere near my list of vehicles to consider. They'll give you the smooth, quiet ride of a luxury sedan from only a few years ago, and they're excellent vehicles. But VERY different from Wranglers.

So my advice is this: ask yourself why you're looking at Wranglers. If it's just to be thorough, or because you find the styling of other SUVs derivative [they ARE], it may not be right. But if you really want something different, you may find yourself really regretting not taking the leap in a few months.

Also: Pilot is way better than the Ascent. I hate Honda, and it pains me to admit it, but I'd be remiss in not pointing out it is the better vehicle... :headbang:

OP
OP

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...........I can tell you the Ascent and Pilot are nowhere near my list of vehicles to consider. They'll give you the smooth, quiet ride of a luxury sedan from only a few years ago, and they're excellent vehicles. But VERY different from Wranglers.

So my advice is this: ask yourself why you're looking at Wranglers. If it's just to be thorough, or because you find the styling of other SUVs derivative [they ARE], it may not be right. But if you really want something different, you may find yourself really regretting not taking the leap in a few months.

Also: Pilot is way better than the Ascent. I hate Honda, and it pains me to admit it, but I'd be remiss in not pointing out it is the better vehicle... :headbang:
I already own a 2017 Honda Pilot in Touring trim and have a 2019 Subaru Ascent on order. They are very similar but if the Ascent was available when I bought the Pilot I would have bought it instead. It is more engaging from a driver standpoint and is more comfortable along with some other tidbits as well. In my book it is no contest. My thought was to get rid of the Pilot and get the Wrangler instead. That way we have a quiet peaceful ride when desired and a rough and tumble option when we feel like playing in the forest.

The only problem is my wife really likes the Pilot so we may have to keep that as well.

Even though I described the Wrangler as unrefined that does not mean I consider it a negative. I find it engaging. I had previously owned a Corvette Z06 that I would describe similarly. Compared to the then current crop of Porsche's it was a bit rough around the edges but was a blast to drive. It provided the visceral feedback like few others. My thoughts are that the Wrangler will provide a similar feeling in which the driver participates fully. The opposite end of the spectrum to auto pilot.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
@bmac, Jeeps are great and very addictive so be prepared to spend a lot of extra cash upgrading it, wheeling it and having fun.. Once you get your 1st Jeep the fever never leaves you, even if you move away from them for a while.. I was absent from the Jeep world for 10+ years before returning.. Once you get the bug, it never goes away.. :)

:flag:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
@bmac, Jeeps are great and very addictive so be prepared to spend a lot of extra cash upgrading it, wheeling it and having fun.. Once you get your 1st Jeep the fever never leaves you, even if you move away from them for a while.. I was absent from the Jeep world for 10+ years before returning.. Once you get the bug, it never goes away.. :)

:flag:

Very decent reasoned post , @raqball .
Sponsored