Considering a Wrangler but.....

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Yeah, for some reason I drive with my windows open almost all the time now (obviously when sides or top are down)...and notice 95% of people never even roll their windows down. It's not like a red/blue pill moment, but is nice feeling out of a bubble between being inside and driving around.

Just to prod the OP...life's short, check it off your list?! :like:
Couldn't agree more. I almost never use the A/C, and windows are always open.

For what it's worth, this is my first Wrangler and I can't get enough. My wife couldn't give 2 sh^%'s about a car, but she hops in the Wrangler anytime she knows I'm not going to be driving it somewhere. I've got 10K miles in 6 months including road trips from Maryland to Massachusetts and Niagara Falls loaded with a family of 4. No complaints at all. It is not as comfortable as the Suburban with leather chairs, but it's a totally different experience. I love it, wifey loves it, kids love it. Even just taking the Freedom Panels off is great, so top and doors off is a whole different world. I've had a 68 Mustang convertible for 20 years, and a convertible is a totally different feel from a topless Wrangler with the doors off. A good friend of mine who was out of the Wrangler world for the last 20 years or so just picked a new JL up after I got mine and he also can't get enough. My recommendation would be to jump on in!
Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I have been mildly intrigued by the Wrangler for some time but the changes JL brought have me taking a more serious look.

First off, I am not sure I am really a Jeep guy or not. I might be and don't know it yet. i have test driven 4 JL's (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports, all 4 door). If I take the plunge it will be a Rubicon for a variety of reasons. Near the top of the list is the steering. Both Rubicons drove straight and both Sports required way too much input to keep it tracking straight. I also like the look of the Rubicon and the way it is equipped. I liked the test rides a bit more than I thought I would. It was a bit unrefined and was fairly noisy at speed but it did provide a nice visceral experience. I can see why folks like these things. I was kinda hoping I could scratch it off my list but that did not happen. I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about one. I don't envision a lot of time spent with the top or doors off but who knows.

A test ride really does not do it for me. I need to live with a vehicle for a period of time to know for sure if I really like it or not. My wife is open to the idea of picking up a Jeep and she is ok with whatever I decide. Money is not a factor. If I decide I don't like it after a few months I would just offload it and go with something else.

We spend 6 months of the year in central Florida near Ocala National Forest and the rest of the year in Wisconsin. I am intrigued by the possibility of wandering aimlessly through the forest and perhaps some areas in northern Wisconsin as well. Don't really need the Jeep for this but it most certainly will handle it with ease.

Twice a year we will be making the 1200 mile trip from WI to FL and back. We will be making the trip with 2 vehicles. One will be hauling a boat at 2600 pounds with trailer brakes and one will be hauling an open trailer with 2 motorcycles with no brakes and a weight of about 1700 pounds. I will likely take the toughest combination, whatever that turns out to be. One tow vehicle will be a Honda Pilot or Subaru Ascent and the Rubicon could serve duty as the second tow vehicle.

Any thoughts from folks on how well the Rubicon will handle the 1200 mile trip and which vehicle and trailer combination should I drive?

Would I be better off just going with the Pilot and Ascent and forget about this crazy idea?
I had a 2014 Pilot.
My dog threw up every single time he rode in it. EVERY TIME. He hated the Pilot.
I test drove a new Pilot. I hated the new Pilot because now it just looks like a Minivan.
I have a Rubicon.
I can drive over stuff.
My dog stopped throwing up in my vehicle on his first trip in the Rubicon and has been fine since.
Moms in the parking lots of my kids' soccer games have said they like my Jeep.
No mom ever said they liked my Pilot. Ever.

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
I don’t know, man. I think you have to want the Jeep more of you want to be an owner. If you want a vanilla SUV experience, the Wrangler won’t be your option.

I liken it to owning a motorcycle. If you buy it because you think you’ll learn to like it- you won’t and it will either sit in the garage or get sold within a year. But if you buy it because you really want it and you are looking to selectively forget smooth and quiet driving- you’ll love the JL and will forever own a Jeep.

I guess I’ve seen too many people want to be convinced because they want to be practical and cool at the same time. Unfortunately you need to turn off your brain a bit and replace that section with the part that giggles when someone says “duty” during a serious conversation. . .
Did you just say "duty"...??!?!?!? Great, now I can't focus on the rest of the thread...Haaaaaaa!!!!

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
The original tv was black and white. Original isn’t always better. It’s a stupid and tired argument. Both the 2 door and 4 door have advantages and disadvantages. They fill different needs for different people. Both are great vehicles and both are Jeep Wranglers. Oh and the JK is nowhere near an original Jeep either, not sure how you sleep at night knowing you own that modern Jeep
Amen.

When I was shopping around for a full-size truck, the saddest argument I saw against upgraded interior amenities like leather/heated seats/cooled seats, nav, etc. was "it's a truck! i don't need all them fancy thangs!" Uhh it is still a truck but now it's in the 21st century.

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
I have been mildly intrigued by the Wrangler for some time but the changes JL brought have me taking a more serious look.

First off, I am not sure I am really a Jeep guy or not. I might be and don't know it yet. i have test driven 4 JL's (2 Rubicons and 2 Sports, all 4 door). If I take the plunge it will be a Rubicon for a variety of reasons. Near the top of the list is the steering. Both Rubicons drove straight and both Sports required way too much input to keep it tracking straight. I also like the look of the Rubicon and the way it is equipped. I liked the test rides a bit more than I thought I would. It was a bit unrefined and was fairly noisy at speed but it did provide a nice visceral experience. I can see why folks like these things. I was kinda hoping I could scratch it off my list but that did not happen. I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about one. I don't envision a lot of time spent with the top or doors off but who knows.

A test ride really does not do it for me. I need to live with a vehicle for a period of time to know for sure if I really like it or not. My wife is open to the idea of picking up a Jeep and she is ok with whatever I decide. Money is not a factor. If I decide I don't like it after a few months I would just offload it and go with something else.

We spend 6 months of the year in central Florida near Ocala National Forest and the rest of the year in Wisconsin. I am intrigued by the possibility of wandering aimlessly through the forest and perhaps some areas in northern Wisconsin as well. Don't really need the Jeep for this but it most certainly will handle it with ease.

Twice a year we will be making the 1200 mile trip from WI to FL and back. We will be making the trip with 2 vehicles. One will be hauling a boat at 2600 pounds with trailer brakes and one will be hauling an open trailer with 2 motorcycles with no brakes and a weight of about 1700 pounds. I will likely take the toughest combination, whatever that turns out to be. One tow vehicle will be a Honda Pilot or Subaru Ascent and the Rubicon could serve duty as the second tow vehicle.

Any thoughts from folks on how well the Rubicon will handle the 1200 mile trip and which vehicle and trailer combination should I drive?

Would I be better off just going with the Pilot and Ascent and forget about this crazy idea?
I would see if you can rent one local for a few days. I rented one and it finalized my decision. My next vehicle will be a wrangler. (some day)

I used to own a Pilot and while it was comfortable, it was never fun. I would just drive from A to B. When I rented the wrangler, I enjoyed the trip.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've taken long trips in a JKU and JLU as the driver, and speaking solely in terms of being the driver I prefer the JKU. The JLU has less hip/shoulder room and the center tunnel around the transmission in larger, which eats up some right leg room. The seats are also not as comfortable. Honestly, I love the JLU for my daily commute but on long trips I do not like driving it.

I feel like smaller people wouldn't have as much trouble, but if you're over 6 feet tall you better do some extensive test driving before purchasing.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The original tv was black and white.
JK is nowhere near an original Jeep either, not sure how you sleep at night knowing you own that modern Jeep
Wouldn't know about tv , because I never owned a tv .

Not sleeping at night might be due to the ladies I meet at the beach , ( not wasting time thinking about Jeeps ) , lol .

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I've taken long trips in a JKU and JLU as the driver, and speaking solely in terms of being the driver I prefer the JKU. The JLU has less hip/shoulder room and the center tunnel around the transmission in larger, which eats up some right leg room. The seats are also not as comfortable. Honestly, I love the JLU for my daily commute but on long trips I do not like driving it.

I feel like smaller people wouldn't have as much trouble, but if you're over 6 feet tall you better do some extensive test driving before purchasing.
Agree 100% on the seat. When I test drove both, the jk was noticeably more comfortable to sit in. I liked pretty much every other feature of the JL better. I’m 6’4. Have gotten used to riding in the JL, have no issues now.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
You don't envision topless or doorless jeep rides because you have never done it.
I will tell you this...once you do it, you either fall in love, or hate it.
If you don't get it...you will never know.
JL can tow either of those trailers.
You know you want one....DO IT.

Personally, I will never drive anything but a wrangler till I die.
Topless, Door less, off-road, onroad, winter, spring, summer , fall

Sponsored

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
No issues now , because you've been permanently twisted out of shape .
Nope, never said the JL was uncomfortable, just that I thought the JK seats were MORE comfortable. Unlike some, I can be objective when looking at the pros/cons of different models

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
Wouldn't know about tv , because I never owned a tv .

Not sleeping at night might be due to the ladies I meet at the beach , ( not wasting time thinking about Jeeps ) , lol .
I didn't know that ladies liked trolls that much. I guess there is someone out there for everyone. To each their own.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I had a 2014 Pilot.
My dog threw up every single time he rode in it. EVERY TIME. He hated the Pilot.
I test drove a new Pilot. I hated the new Pilot because now it just looks like a Minivan.
I have a Rubicon.
I can drive over stuff.
My dog stopped throwing up in my vehicle on his first trip in the Rubicon and has been fine since.
Moms in the parking lots of my kids' soccer games have said they like my Jeep.
No mom ever said they liked my Pilot. Ever.

Best sales pitch ever: Buy a jeep, your dog won't throw up on it.

:cwl::cwl::cwl:
Sponsored