andreasjs

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR 2
Hi,

I am the somewhat happy owner of a LR Freelander 2 but considering changing it and get a Wrangler. Would be using it on-road Mon-Fri and offroad and at beaches during weekend.

A few questions:

1) I have heard that the wrangler is quite uncomfortable and does not work well as a commuter or every-day family car? True or not true?

2) How is reliability and maintenance & repair cost? Any view on how it would compare to a LR Freelander?

Thanks
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Count on any Land Rover being much more expensive to maintain and less reliable than a Jeep. Yes, there are outliers on both sides; you could get one that just happens to hit the sweet spot in tolerances and it'll last 300k miles, or you could get a lemon. But the chances of the latter are traditionally MUCH higher for a LR. As to maintenance/parts cost, not even competitive, Jeep's much cheaper.

For commuting, your LR will probably be more comfy. But--and this is big--the new JL is leaps above the old JK, which is worlds of improvement over older models. Dozens of professional reviews, so I'll leave you to Google more. Suffice to say, it'll commute/daily drive VERY well.

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with others above, your LR is likely more comfortable however, the new JL is a tremendous improvement over the older models in terms of comfort and "SUV amenities". I daily drive my JL Rubicon 4-door and have no complaints, the main reason I hadn't had a jeep until now was your point #1 above. I think the JL has done away with that. Go drive one and see what you think, comfortable enough to put the kids in and take a trip and still fun enough to get off the road and enjoy.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The wrangler can be very comfortable, but you have to adjust "things" to suit, it's not designed for a "COMMUTE" vehicle !

Reliability is good and will depend on "TREATMENT"--

There's no way to predict "REPAIR COSTS"-

If your happy with your Land rover--why would you want a WRANGLER unless you have friends with them and they tell you how great it is to become a total convertible and go off-road "ANYWHERE"

Good luck

Whatever

JIMBO

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hi,

I am the somewhat happy owner of a LR Freelander 2 but considering changing it and get a Wrangler. Would be using it on-road Mon-Fri and offroad and at beaches during weekend.

A few questions:

1) I have heard that the wrangler is quite uncomfortable and does not work well as a commuter or every-day family car? True or not true?

2) How is reliability and maintenance & repair cost? Any view on how it would compare to a LR Freelander?

Thanks

1) Very true. The JK was acceptable but the JL got even narrower and the cloth seats are stiff. They also don't have a tilt adjustment.

2) The Wrangler is one of the least expensive vehicles in the world to keep on the road. Its night and day better than anything from Europe.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
How long is your commute? Going from a LR to a wrangler will be a huge adjustment in driving experience on the highway. Just read some of the posts about steering dead spots and wandering on the highway. I suspect most of those are from new to Wrangler owners but some are previous owners of JKs. Donā€™t think itā€™s widesoread and could be a simple issue of steering box replacement or adjustment by the dealer. Either way, the steering is much different than LR so youā€™ll have to drive one yourself to see if you can live with it everyday.

For off-road you mention beaches, so I assume you like hanging out in the sunshine. Wrangler is perfect for this...get the softop or dual top and then you can have a convertible off road capable vehicle that Iā€™m sure youā€™ll enjoy.

Another scenario is keep the LR and pick up a 2-door sport s for the weekends.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I got my first Wrangler last week. It is the Sahara with leather seats. I can't judge JK to JL, but I am very impressed. It is comfortable, and I believe it would be acceptable as a commuter/family car. I am very impressed with the quality of the interior and exterior.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I daily drive my JLUR with no problems.

My only concerns for you would be

About 70 mph it's a little loud with the hardtop.

The hardtop has no insulation so when parked in the sun it gets and holds a little heat and the opposite when it's cold.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

1 and 2 : You wouldn't like a former Wrangler if you like comfort and self-importance . Former Wrangler owners have neither . You might find a newer JL adequate for comfort and self-importance , however .
Sponsored