Command Trac Question

DKSDonnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4X4
I have looked at many posts and can't seem to find an answer to my question. Jeeps have too many options on power trains IMO. I'm old school and a Chrysler man myself but my wife wants a Jeep so I'm trying to educate myself. The Jeep in question is a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4X4. On the build sheet is has Command-Trac . On the dealer's description it says it has Brake Actuated LSD. Now, I understand the Command-Trac and how it works and that it resembles an LSD but is not a true LSD. Do Wrangler's come with Command Trac with true LSD or is this a sales thing as the Command Trac with Brake Actuated properties does act like a LSD but is not. I have read that Command-Trac does come with and LSD as maybe an option but how would I tell if it has true LSD? Besides the old way of telling if you have LSD which we all know how to do in one form or another.

I don't feel like exploding my brain by doing unlimited research on this matter. I'm asking the pro's for an answer and then move on to something else.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Command-Trac is the four wheel drive system, it has nothing to do with LSD.

Trac-Lok is the mechanical LSD, which was standard or optional depending on trim level.

BLD is an electronic way of using ESC and TCS to use the brakes to slow spinning wheels, thus transferring power to where there is traction. This standard feature comes with all the different basic electronic systems.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DKSDonnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Command-Trac is the four wheel drive system, it has nothing to do with LSD.

Trac-Lok is the mechanical LSD, which was standard or optional depending on trim level.

BLD is an electronic way of using ESC and TCS to use the brakes to slow spinning wheels, thus transferring power to where there is traction. This standard feature comes with all the different basic electronic systems.
I understand this very well, but can you get Command-Trac 4WD with LSD?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have looked at many posts and can't seem to find an answer to my question. Jeeps have too many options on power trains IMO. I'm old school and a Chrysler man myself but my wife wants a Jeep so I'm trying to educate myself. The Jeep in question is a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4X4. On the build sheet is has Command-Trac . On the dealer's description it says it has Brake Actuated LSD. Now, I understand the Command-Trac and how it works and that it resembles an LSD but is not a true LSD. Do Wrangler's come with Command Trac with true LSD or is this a sales thing as the Command Trac with Brake Actuated properties does act like a LSD but is not. I have read that Command-Trac does come with and LSD as maybe an option but how would I tell if it has true LSD? Besides the old way of telling if you have LSD which we all know how to do in one form or another.

I don't feel like exploding my brain by doing unlimited research on this matter. I'm asking the pro's for an answer and then move on to something else.
If you are looking at the JLs,
LSD (trac-lok) is available on Sahara trim when you option in Selec-Trac feature. (Which also gives you the beefier M220 axle)

111.PNG

Sponsored

OP
OP

DKSDonnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are looking at the JLs,
LSD (trac-lok) is available on Sahara trim when you option in Selec-Trac feature. (Which also gives you the beefier M220 axle)

111.PNG
Yea, my daughter's 02 Grand Cherokee has Selec-Trac with open diffs. The build on this one says Command-Trac with no mention of LSD. The dealer printout they put on the side of the window says Brake Actuated LSD which yes, it does act like a
lsd but it's not a true LSD which I prefer and would be a plus if it has Command-Trac with LSD.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, my daughter's 02 Grand Cherokee has Selec-Trac with open diffs. The build on this one says Command-Trac with no mention of LSD. The dealer printout they put on the side of the window says Brake Actuated LSD which yes, it does act like a
lsd but it's not a true LSD which I prefer and would be a plus if it has Command-Trac with LSD.
Its an advanced type of traction control more or less. There is an actual limited slip differential available as an option but it doesn't seem like the one you're looking at has it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Command-Trac is the standard transfer case, part time 4 wheel Drive.
Sponsored