Sponsored

The advantage of Command-Trac over Select-Trac

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Shifting in and out of 4H on my snowy drive home the other night helped me feel like a man, as my Jeep lacks a man transmission. 😂

A quick question: Does 4WD help handling at speed? I figured it would only help going up hills, getting out of snow banks, and accelerating from a stop/slow speed. However, when driving through snow ruts and snow drifts my Jeep felt a lot more locked into its line in 4H. I'm not sure if this was an illusion caused by a change in steering feel due to the front axle being engaged, or if 4WD was actually increasing my Jeep's handling.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
A quick question: Does 4WD help handling at speed? I figured it would only help going up hills, getting out of snow banks, and accelerating from a stop/slow speed. However, when driving through snow ruts and snow drifts my Jeep felt a lot more locked into its line in 4H. I'm not sure if this was an illusion caused by a change in steering feel due to the front axle being engaged, or if 4WD was actually increasing my Jeep's handling.
No. 4WD is particularly bad on slick roads in higher speed turns. It will force one of your tires to skid in turns. If the remaining 3 tires can't hold the turn you'll skid right off the road.

If you're in snow deep enough for ruts & drifts it definitely does help. But know you're going to skid through turns and may not hold them. Take turns slow.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t say that 4WD helps handling at speed. Actually, a part-time 4WD can actually hinder handling at speed because it can cause the tires to bind.

Having said that, I find my Sahara feels more sure-footed, better planted to the road with the Select-Trac engaged in full-time mode.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having said that, I find my Sahara feels more sure-footed, better planted to the road with the Select-Trac engaged in full-time mode.
It should be clarified here that full-time 4WD is actually 2WD w/ 4WD engaging immediately upon rear tire slip. So there is no possibility of drivetrain binding. The only time 4WD engages is if the rear wheels are already slipping.

OP
OP
SnowyJeep

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Interesting! Thanks for the replies. And just to clarify as well, I'm talking about those situations where the roads are completely covered and your only guide to keeping your lane is the ruts left by the traffic that came before you.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
For that situation I think your good leaving it in 4WD. You should be driving slower if there is that much snow on the road anyway and binding shouldn't be too big of a deal as the wheels can slip as neccessary.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It should be clarified here that full-time 4WD is actually 2WD w/ 4WD engaging immediately upon rear tire slip. So there is no possibility of drivetrain binding. The only time 4WD engages is if the rear wheels are already slipping.
Correct. Unlike Command-Trac, Selec-Trac has a clutch-pack in the center that allows the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds in Full-Time mode.

In Part-Time mode, Selec-Trac works just like Command-Trac: with the front and rear axles locked together.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For that situation I think your good leaving it in 4WD. You should be driving slower if there is that much snow on the road anyway and binding shouldn't be too big of a deal as the wheels can slip as neccessary.
Indeed. If you cannot see the road, slow down and engage 4Hi if you like. At that point, without speed "handling at speed" should not be an issue any more.

OP
OP
SnowyJeep

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Thanks again everyone for your input. :)

I also wanted to add, in case the title of this thread makes it seem like I think Command-Trac is better than Select-Trac, I don't. Select-Trac was actually a feature on my Want List when I was in the market for a Jeep. The Jeep I purchased had everything I was looking for except Select-Trac, so I was a little concerned about winter driving. As much as I'd still like 4H Auto, it was kind of fun shifting in and out of 4H when the road conditions warranted it.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a point where deep snow makes forward traction a greater concern than skidding & sliding out. 4WD HI is perfect for that.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I’ve owned 5 Wranglers with the command-trac T-case and when the Selec-trac came out on a wrangler in 2018, I didn’t hesitate and immediately traded my JKUR 10A for a JLU Sahara with it, and can say that this JLU with the selec-trac is by far the most competent wrangler I’ve ever driven in winter storms and icy roads up here in Canada.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned 5 Wranglers with the command-trac T-case and when the Selec-trac came out on a wrangler in 2018, I didn’t hesitate and immediately traded my JKUR 10A for a JLU Sahara with it, and can say that this JLU with the selec-trac is by far the most competent wrangler I’ve ever driven in winter storms and icy roads up here in Canada.
Same here. I owned a 1995 and 2001 Grand Cherokees with Selec-Trac: feel in love with it.

Then owned a string of JKs over the next few years. When Jeep announced that it was adding Selec-Trac to Sahara with the launch of JL, I knew I had to have it.

Unfortunately, as is the case with many other features, Jeep has done a terrible job marketing it properly. A lot of buyers are unaware that Selec-Trac is even available, let alone how it works or what it does.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Same here. I owned a 1995 and 2001 Grand Cherokees with Selec-Trac: feel in love with it.

Then owned a string of JKs over the next few years. When Jeep announced that it was adding Selec-Trac to Sahara with the launch of JL, I knew I had to have it.

Unfortunately, as is the case with many other features, Jeep has done a terrible job marketing it properly. A lot of buyers are unaware that Selec-Trac is even available, let alone how it works or what it does.
Knowing Jeep for decades now, I feel that the reason for that is the overload of command-trac that they have in stock, and know that if they commercialize the Selec-trac properly, they will end-up with tons of command-trac that nobody wants.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Knowing Jeep for decades now, I feel that the reason for that is the overload of command-trac that they have in stock, and know that if they commercialize the Selec-trac properly, they will end-up with tons of command-trac that nobody wants.
The downside is the s-trac mode is a bit less fuel efficient as some minor drivetrain loss to allow the instant 4WD engagement.

This is probably why it's not standard as Stellantis already struggle with the overall fuel economy of the Jeep lineup and making s-trac standard would likely pull this down another 0.1 to 0.2mpg or so.

Not a big deal on an individuals gas bill but across a million or so JL's out there it means something to Stellantis.

If I lived in the snow belt I would want s-trac.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
If I would purchase another Jeepin the future , I would definitely opt for the S-Trac. living in Florida, No snow of course , But lots of rain & traveling up north at times. Would like to have that extra bit of comfort cushion.
Sponsored