Sponsored

Cold air intake recommendations and feedback?

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
whos running one, which brand and thoughts/worth it?
Sponsored

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I don’t have one...yet. But K&N seems pretty popular. Also interested in the one by Spectre due to the fact it costs half as much. I haven’t ever washed and oiled a filter. So I’m interested to know how big of a P.I.T.A. it is? But I like the idea of a reusable filter. I think Spectre’s is disposable. Really just itching to do a mod and make it sound better. The extra 1000 HP is just a bonus.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
I have the s&b one and love it!Just installed the hood scoops. next is the ram air install

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
I really like the look of that one, but i have a rubicon and when you cut hood you have to cut in to the decal! so i went with the S&B instead i'll post some pictures

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’d recommend the Holley. I have a snorkel and like that the Holley has the filter coming in from the top, uses a non oiled dry filter, looks slightly more aggressive than oem, and also fits the air duct attached to the oem box, even though it’s a completely new air box. Also Holley does more than most company’s when it comes to performance offerings so I’d say they might have some engineering advantages over others, maybe.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/cold_air_intake/holley_intech/parts/223-16

I was going to go with the Holley but saved my cash and bought a AFE dry reusable oem replacement filter because the factory air intake is the most tested intake on the engine.

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
I have the Holley and I like how it uses the factory inlet location. Little to no worry about pulling in water. It also sounds pretty good although a bit of a plasticy resonance. The way it presses the filter into the box itself is kind of annoying but an intersting idea. Overall a 4 out of 5.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Not worth it unless you just want the sound. I had one and for a little bit I thought I was getting more MPG, but in the end it was negligible to nil.
Although I partially agree my new intake helped with the butt dyno. Although I did the Livernois tuner shortly after and that made a way bigger difference. Plus throttle response is a bit better.

LiquidSwordz

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition
I'm looking into installing one within the week. Its between K&N, S&B and an Injen one a shop has near me. I want a deeper tone from under the hood but can't find comparisons between them. Need some insight on this

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm looking into installing one within the week. Its between K&N, S&B and an Injen one a shop has near me. I want a deeper tone from under the hood but can't find comparisons between them. Need some insight on this
I'd use the funds for a nice exhaust, nice sound won't be under the hood but it will be everywhere else :)

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For a deeper tone under the hood, the only fix is to get the 392 JL. A CAI ain't going to do it. Unless you're planning on the oiled filter allowing more dirt and crap into the engine that it ruins your bearings so you can then justify adding a 392. If you really want a CAI, look for one which offers a dry air filter at least.......your engine will thank you.

LiquidSwordz

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does an oiled filter allow more dirt in? The ones I've looked at can have both. I replaced my exhaust with a borla Attak so I thought a CAI would compliment it

Bigfx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I went with the corsa setup with a Donaldson powercore due to its filtration ability and longevity, will install it tonight probably review shortly afterwards.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How does an oiled filter allow more dirt in? The ones I've looked at can have both. I replaced my exhaust with a borla Attak so I thought a CAI would compliment it
There's hundreds/thousands of studies you can find on the internet which prove that oiled air filters (such as K&N) allow for increased air flow AND decreased filtering efficiency. Filtering efficiency is measured by how much of the testing dust is allowed to pass through the filter's media. So with decreased efficiency, an oiled filter thereby doesn't trap as much particulates and allows the particulates to enter your intake system. The whole point of an air filter is to keep as much particulate from the intake and engine as possible while still allowing for adequate air volume to enter the engine. Again, multiple studies show a stock paper filter is more than adequate in allowing for proper air flow (even when clogged) to operate engines in accordance with the manufacturers design parameters.

The K&N is designed for the oil to trap the particulates while a stock paper filter is designed for the paper material to trap the particulates. Stock paper filters trap more particulates, smaller particulates, and are able to hold more particulates than oiled filters.

Another problem with oiled filters is their ability (or is it inability??) to allow some of the oil to pass from the filter and into the air intake. This oil will have particulates trapped in it (see above as to why), which then enters your throttle body, sensors, etc. If allowed to continue, the oil and included particulates can then enter your intake where it will wreak havoc on your intake valves, pistons, rings, and bearings.

So why/when would you use an oiled filter? On a high performance engine (race cars, trucks, etc) where you are operating the engine at wide open throttle (WOT) and/or under heavy loads for long periods of time and the engine is tuned and modified to accept all of that air flow. Typically with high performance engines, they are rebuilt (or at least gone through) frequently so this increased consumption of particulates is of really no concern for long term use, like in a daily driver. An oiled filter (especially a foam media one) is especially useful in engines where the filter may get wet and/or muddy as a wet paper filter can collapse.

Your Jeep engine will see no benefit from an oiled filter, there is only negatives. Unless you plan on remapping the computer, altering fuel flow/pressure, and other modifications, you will not see any added performance benefit. It's your money and your Jeep. I'd rather put my money into proven modifications.

LiquidSwordz

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the detailed information. The S&B model I'm looking at has both options so ill go with the dry filter. I definitely do not want problems in the long run
Sponsored