Sponsored

Clutchless Shifting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
I guess I am asking for driving tips here. I am not sure if this is an idiosyncrasy with the JL or driver error but I can't seem to shift without the clutch. I have owned mostly manuals and have driven several other manuals (combinations ranging from old unsynchronized 3 speeds, granny 4 speeds, 5 speeds and 6 speeds) and clutchless shifting usually isn't a problem for me. With my JL, however, I can't seem to make it work. I have pulled it off on the up shift although it is inconsistent but the synchros bound up badly the two times I attempted to downshift. I always rev match on my downshifts and double clutch when I skip gears and I am able to drop the clutch without any issues (its totally smooth). As a rule, I do not advocate for clutchless shifting on the regular but I would feel safer knowing that my transmission could handle it if I have a clutch failure on the trail or need to try an emergency downshift during a water crossing. Any advise would be appreciated. My ego wants me to believe that its some computer thing or the trans doesn't like it but in all likelihood I am doing something wrong...

BTW, its kind of a big ask, but if anyone could post a video of their clutchless downshift showing the tach, it would be extra awesome.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I guess I am asking for driving tips here. I am not sure if this is an idiosyncrasy with the JL or driver error but I can't seem to shift without the clutch. I have owned mostly manuals and have driven several other manuals (combinations ranging from old unsynchronized 3 speeds, granny 4 speeds, 5 speeds and 6 speeds) and clutchless shifting usually isn't a problem for me. With my JL, however, I can't seem to make it work. I have pulled it off on the up shift although it is inconsistent but the synchros bound up badly the two times I attempted to downshift. I always rev match on my downshifts and double clutch when I skip gears and I am able to drop the clutch without any issues (its totally smooth). As a rule, I do not advocate for clutchless shifting on the regular but I would feel safer knowing that my transmission could handle it if I have a clutch failure on the trail or need to try an emergency downshift during a water crossing. Any advise would be appreciated. My ego wants me to believe that its some computer thing or the trans doesn't like it but in all likelihood I am doing something wrong...

BTW, its kind of a big ask, but if anyone could post a video of their clutchless downshift showing the tach, it would be extra awesome.
Some discussion about clutchless shifting here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-clutch-gang.7373/page-6#post-188155