OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The more I drive and specially the more I read this forum the more I like my MT. :like:
I may be becoming a bit prejudiced :(:surprised:
Advertisement

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
The more I drive and specially the more I read this forum the more I like my MT. :like:
I may be becoming a bit prejudiced :(:surprised:
Yep, the more I drive it, the more I love it, too, and there was no shortage of love on day 1, either. Now that I have the MagnaFlow axle back, it is just all that much sweeter with the deep sound of the V6. (I thought it had a great sound to begin with, from the stock muffler, too.)

Vintage

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
SAVE THE MANUAL!
1) I like to determine the gear, screw Skynet.
2) Promotes harmony with vehicle operation.
3) More rewarding to practice and achieve, especially offroading/wheeling.
4) Fewer people can do it and I love stumping valets.
5) I hate these 8+ speed transmissions that rush to the highest gear possible for MPG.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SAVE THE MANUAL!
5) I hate these 8+ speed transmissions that rush to the highest gear possible for MPG.
Agree. I like to keep my rpm above 2000. That means 70 mph for 6 gear. The engine seems happier there.

COBill

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I admire you guys that order a car. That I cannot do. I decided on Saturday I wanted a Rubicon and look all over the country for the one and got it within a week. Next Saturday I was driving it.
I wouldn't get a JL without an option I wanted nor pay for an option I didn't or accept one in a color I didn't want; it just makes sense to order.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't get a JL without an option I wanted nor pay for an option I didn't or accept one in a color I didn't want; it just makes sense to order.
I made a list of must have options, including color. I didn’t mind paying for other options. I guess that made it easier. Found it within a week 500 miles away.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks Torero for starting this thread. Glad I did a quick search before starting it myself. Also glad I am not alone. Unless someone has a physical limitation, I just can't fathom why anyone would ever want an automatic transmission in a Jeep; or at all.

Anyway, I personally enjoy the low 1st gear; which is actually lower than the 1st gear in the 8-speed auto.... (5.13 vs 4.71 for everyone who doesn't already know that). Its seems like you can just let it out slow, and then give it gas. Basically next to no feathering. 2nd seems kind of low as well (Meaning.. geared more closer to 1st than near 3rd... which it actually is at 2.53) , but you can wind it out a bit after break-in. I guess this makes sense since 1st is so low.

I am curious how everyone else feels about 3rd through 6th. I feel like 3rd and 4th both have a wide ranges; you can chug along or wind them out as needed. 5th is like typical overdrive and 6th like an over-overdrive. I do find myself using 6th more than I thought when I hit about 58-60 MPH as long as I am not on an incline. Not using 6th as much most likely applies to the Sahara or Sport with higher gearing in the rear.

Has anyone else found it a little tricky to get used to the 3rd to 2nd downshift? Seems like I need to slow down a tad further than I am used to before going to 2nd.
Agree with everything you said. I have also found sometimes when I want a little more power in third but I can't downshift to second. I guess you either need to gut it out in third or slow down to get back down to second.

Biscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I would've been just as happy with the ZF as the manual, but went with a fairly basic JLU Sport and the stick. I had the five-speed auto in a JK and didn't care for it at all. The JL's manual is a big improvement - it just feels a lot smoother and efficient compared the the JK's manual, which I've also had.

I learned to drive on a manual, and most of my vehicles have been so equipped. And when it comes to four-wheeling, manual trumps auto every time, IMO.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with everything you said. I have also found sometimes when I want a little more power in third but I can't downshift to second. I guess you either need to gut it out in third or slow down to get back down to second.
Agree with you both. There is a bigger gap between 2 and 3 than between other gears. Either as you say, got to slow down or be more aggressive by double clutch, rise the rpm and get to second.
No very many people know about double clutching anymore. ( some say double shifting) The ones that do either drove heavy trucks or raced or both.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you can just pause in neutral, blip the throttle, and downshift smoothly without having to release and push the clutch in again. awesome syncros in aisin manuals.
and no...not many people even know what double clutching in.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't know how to double-clutch. I never learned it.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in first gear.. lift off clutch.. run up gear...press clutch.. shift to neutral... lift off clutch (allows time for revs to drop with heavy flywheel engine)...press clutch...shift up... lift off clutch... step on gas and run up second.... repeat all the way up.
downshifting.... depress clutch.. shift to neutral... press clutch..shift to lower gear while blipping throttle to match revs in lower gear to speed...lift clutch....repeat all the way down. old guys who used non-synchronized transmissions HAD to do it to change gears. back in the dark ages ;-)
a lot of those old guys got so good at matching revs, once moving they never pressed the clutch.. they just shifted without it. if you can't find 'em, grind 'em

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in first gear.. lift off clutch.. run up gear...press clutch.. shift to neutral... lift off clutch (allows time for revs to drop with heavy flywheel engine)...press clutch...shift up... lift off clutch... step on gas and run up second.... repeat all the way up.
downshifting.... depress clutch.. shift to neutral... press clutch..shift to lower gear while blipping throttle to match revs in lower gear to speed...lift clutch....repeat all the way down. old guys who used non-synchronized transmissions HAD to do it to change gears. back in the dark ages ;-)
a lot of those old guys got so good at matching revs, once moving they never pressed the clutch.. they just shifted without it. if you can't find 'em, grind 'em
That’s how’s done. It sounds very confusing, but with practice becomes second nature. Like I said, I do it only occasionally like when shifting from 3 to 2 at relatively high speed. Fancy shifting says my wife. Somewhere up this thread I explained how to drive without using the clutch.

Stephen13

First Name
Stephen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 4DR Granite Rubicon 6-spd
A lot of us are probably double clutching and not even know it. For instance, the only time I really ever do (on most of the vehicles I've had) is from second to first gear; when you actually need to shift down to first and not come to a complete stop.

Most of the time we are in second gear and wind her down far enough, to just push in the clutch and take her out of gear (like coming to a red light/stop sign). Thus, skipping a double clutch to first gear.

Sometimes when you don't double clutch properly, you can make your tires chirp and jerk everyone's head forward. Passengers just love that! This is even more exciting when done on a motorcycle.

Last edited:

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some clutchless shifting footwork on an older aisin tranny.... my 78 FJ40. Pardon the crappy sanuks.
Starting with cluch because i just didnt want to crank start it, but as Torero said...car off but in gear, turn starter and itll jerk and go.
Anyway, listen to the revs with the footwork and shifting :10 1-2, :16 2-3, :33 blip and downshift 3-2, :40 2-3, :49 3-4

Last edited:
Advertisement

Hothead Headliners

Advertisement