Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
OK, finally took the JLU Sahara out to a gravel lot and started to really play around with 2H, 4H & 4L feeling how the Jeep reacts on loose surface. I did a dumb@ss move. I was gently rolling forward around 2 to 3 mph in 4H and shifted into 4L. Cha Chunk Clunk! It went in and made a racket, then I realized I was in DRIVE instead of NEUTRAL!!
I talked to an off road guy and he said I probably didn't do any damage, maybe scarred the gear but that the 4L gears are so beefy it didn't hurt anything. Obviously I scolded myself and made the mental note. Anyone have an opinion on if any damage was done?
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
you should be fine as long as you didn't do it for a long time forcing it in gear and if you don't keep trying to recreate the sound for friends

it is a gross sound when you do it but it can handle the abuse

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Took me under a minute to get it into gear and it only made the sound right as it engaged. I don't plan on EVER recreating that horrid noise.
Sadly my wife can't even get the jeep into 4H. It takes a bit of effort to do it and she has some neck issues so does not have a lot of strength in her arms.
One guy speculated the front axle disconnect may be part to blame and another that it may be because the JL uses cables.
Regardless I'm not the only one that thinks it's hard to get into 4H.
Sponsored