Sponsored

Possible damage without shifting to neutral before putting into 4L?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Like the title said, what are the possible damage that could be caused without putting my transmission to N before shifting to 4L.

I had someone drive my Jeep yesterday on the trails and they forgot to put it into Neutral before shifting to 4L and there was a big jerk and some grinding noises.

Anything I should be worried about? Thanks.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual trans in the Jeep and always throw into neutral before doing anything with the transfer case. However, with the 2.73:1 case in the truck I can toss it into 4hi w/o neutral.

It has a lot to do with the transfer case. You should always go to neutral first or stop moving for 4lo.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Like the title said, what are the possible damage that could be caused without putting my transmission to N before shifting to 4L.

I had someone drive my Jeep yesterday on the trails and they forgot to put it into Neutral before shifting to 4L and there was a big jerk and some grinding noises.

Anything I should be worried about? Thanks.
If you are paranoid you could drain transfer case fluid and look for metal. But it's likely a non-issue if just once.

Mine needs to be in neutral and rolling a little to go into 4L.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If you are paranoid you could drain transfer case fluid and look for metal. But it's likely a non-issue if just once.

Mine needs to be in neutral and rolling a little to go into 4L.
Mine goes into 4L stopped in neutral just fine without needing to roll slowly though, but I should probably stop doing that.

Last edited:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
On my JK I had that happen a couple of times. No damage apparent during the five years I owned it...I believe the JL has the same transfer case...
Sponsored