Clicking noise while charging

ALTREGO

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler Sahara 4xe
Pulled my 2022 4XE (1000 miles) into the garage, outside temperature was 95, battery approx 30%, started charging with Jeep level 2 charger. After approx 1 hour heard a loud rapid clicking sound coming from vehicle (sounded like a solenoid click). Charging light on vehicle and charger flashing green normally. As I went to unplug charger vehicle cooling fan came on. Unplugged vehicle, battery charged to 90%, all appeared normal. After 1 hr plugged it back in, vehicle completed its charge and all appears normal. Any ideas.
Sponsored

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

The turbo is a noisy vehicle, and I've experienced clicking when plugging in and out. Mine is usually in a covered area, so the cooling fan rarely comes on, if at all, but cooling fans turning on is a normal thing with PHEV/EVs, especially with that temperature. I've heard it turn on with Teslas as well while charging.

KIZEMAN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4xe High Altitude - '18 Range Rover Sport SVR
Have had mine for a year now. It clicks randomly while charging only, not sure why. Maybe it's running diagnostics on the battery/charging system. If the 4xe is new to you, be prepared for a lot of noises you're not used to hearing when it's in your garage!

It used to run the fan quite a bit last summer (really loud). Hasn't hardly run this summer, not sure why the change?

OP
OP

ALTREGO

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler Sahara 4xe
Thanks for your help. However, I had a 2021 4 XE which I sold and bought my 2022 and even made a few bucks. I’ve never heard anything like this. It is a very loud clicking (hammering sound at the rate of about 80 cycles per minute). It continued until I unplugged the charger. I’m use to the fan coming on after I shut down; however this occurred about an hour after vehicle shut down. I’ve never had the fan come on after that long. Once again thanks for any help.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Not sure what the sound is but mine does the same. Usually when it’s hot outside and the battery is nearly fully charged.

I thought it was the jeep turning on the ac to cool the battery pack.
Sponsored