Sponsored

Clicking noise when turning.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
2021 JLUR w/8k miles. Just noticed the clicking today. I installed the AEV dualsport last week, so I instantly thought I messed something up. I will get under it Wednesday to check the balljoints. I will report back!
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Mine just started doing it on my 2021 JLU with 1700 miles. I am bone stock. Goes in Wednesday to the dealer. If they can't find it I will make them read all 24 pages of this thread!

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine just started doing it on my 2021 JLU with 1700 miles. I am bone stock. Goes in Wednesday to the dealer. If they can't find it I will make them read all 24 pages of this thread!
They fixed the noise, which was the loose castle nut and cotter pin on the ball joint.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imagine that. Good work.
It took them 2 days of me telling them to check that, but they finally swallowed their pride and listened. They wanted to release the Jeep back to me and wait for the noise to get worse....

Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It took them 2 days of me telling them to check that, but they finally swallowed their pride and listened. They wanted to release the Jeep back to me and wait for the noise to get worse....
Guessing it was lower ball joint?

MacnJill

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge green Wrangler JLU Willy's diesel
Occupation
US Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been having the same clicking issues 😖for about 2 weeks now. Came into the dealership this morning and the mechanic was able to recreate the clicking with the Jeep stationary. So as it turns out, the tie rod is loose. He could rotate it and move it side to side. Now I know it’s not a castle nut issue that others have mentioned. The parts are only an hour away and that’s a good thing. I hope this helps others.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been having the same clicking issues 😖for about 2 weeks now. Came into the dealership this morning and the mechanic was able to recreate the clicking with the Jeep stationary. So as it turns out, the tie rod is loose. He could rotate it and move it side to side. Now I know it’s not a castle nut issue that others have mentioned. The parts are only an hour away and that’s a good thing. I hope this helps others.
I too had bad tie rod ends when we first bought the Jeep. Personally I would scrap the tie rod, drag link and track bar and fork over the money and replace them all with Steer Smarts Yeti components. Your entire front end will tighten up and feel so much better and take a severe beating if you choose to off road.

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I too had bad tie rod ends when we first bought the Jeep. Personally I would scrap the tie rod, drag link and track bar and fork over the money and replace them all with Steer Smarts Yeti components. Your entire front end will tighten up and feel so much better and take a severe beating if you choose to off road.
FWIW, I replaced my suspension with a Metalcloak 3.5" Game Changer lift, tie-rod and drag link. No issues, no clicks and the ride is better than stock.

Sponsored

MacnJill

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge green Wrangler JLU Willy's diesel
Occupation
US Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That’s my next upgrade. To completely bulletproof the steering setup. Tie rod, stabilizer, drag link, track bar, and ball joints.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I grabbed the drag link and tie rod while it was being cycled to see if I could feel it but couldn't. I also moved from the driver side to the passenger side but I couldn't narrow it down. Yes, I pulled the pins, put the torque wrench on them and they were all tight. Do you have a link to the youtube video?
Well it finally got bad enough that I took it to an off road shop and the culprit was my oil pan/trans skid was shifting causing the popping and clicking noise when turning. It's quiet as a church mouse now. The noise didn't start until after the MC install so I was just making the assumption that was the problem... Lesson learned

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Does anyone have the part numbers or size/type of cotter pins? I need to tighten mine (clicking), but want to use new cotter pins.

A link to buy on-line would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Does anyone have the part numbers or size/type of cotter pins? I need to tighten mine (clicking), but want to use new cotter pins.

A link to buy on-line would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I brought one to Home Depot and found one that was almost a perfect match.

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR