Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Thank you so much.

One more question - is there any trick to removing the cotter pins more easily?
Get them as straight as possible with a pair of needle nose pliers. And I mean as straight as possible. Any bend or deformation at all, and they will be a bitch to remove.

Then stick the needle nose through the hole at the end and pull. I had to use a small hammer to tap on the tip of the needle nose pliers to pull some of them out.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Fingers crossed, but so far I believe this solved my driver side clicking problem. The driver side lower was def. not as tight as the others and it made the identical clicking noise I had heard as I tightened it as much as I was comfortable doing. I couldn't get my torque wrench in there, so it is about 3 good grunts tight now and so far so good. the cotter pins were the toughtest part.
Thanks to everyone on this thread!

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know the torque spec on the ball joints?

Sponsored

cpawlFL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve been wondering what the noise was. Took it in Monday to the dealer and told them what I read here. They checked and they were loose. Noise is gone now.

huff747

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Like to say thanks again to the forum. Mine was doing just this, torqued them down today and did some testing in the driveway (where I always heard it the most) and it seems all quiet now. Cotter pins were a real bear.

Thanks again.

Bubsjeep

First Name
Bub
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
had the turning at slow speed clicking noise on my 21 Rubicon with 1200 mi on it. the shop wanted to replace the front axle, I told them about the ball joint nuts being loose. they found the lower left one slightly under torques, tightened it and the clicking seems to be gone.

thanks this forum saved me a bunch of money

Sponsored

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Fingers crossed, but so far I believe this solved my driver side clicking problem. The driver side lower was def. not as tight as the others and it made the identical clicking noise I had heard as I tightened it as much as I was comfortable doing. I couldn't get my torque wrench in there, so it is about 3 good grunts tight now and so far so good. the cotter pins were the toughtest part.
Thanks to everyone on this thread!
So it has been a few weeks now. have been driving to work, around town, etc.,
and also went on a fairly long trip to a Jeep Jamboree and did one tough trail that I should not have been on with my stock setup haha, and one mild to moderate trail....and back home again.
So far... NO clicking!!! So happy this has seemingly fixed the problem. Thanks again to this forum.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Okay so i have also been experiencing the clicking noise. Tightened up the driver side lower ball joint no problem. Went to do passenger and the castle nut just spins with no effort. Wont tighten. The rod is not spinning. Something is not right. Going to have to call the dealer.

Melis3180

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Hello all, wondering if anyone has a similar sound when turning left or right at a low speed. I’ve had it at the mechanic - all bolts are tight, ball joints were tightened and the sound still persists. Any ideas?!? (2021 JLU Sahara Altitude Unlimited, 1.5 inch spacer/leveling kit, 35 x 12.5 KO2’s)

Attachments

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Dealer looked at it Friday. Here is the VM i got.

To sum it up, nothing is wrong but they are going to order a new ball joint. It’s a little off and i should get it fixed within a year, but nothing to worry about and it’s safe to drive…

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR
I went to my dealer with this issue. I showed them the thread that identified the ball joint crown nuts. They said they checked everything and couldn’t find anything. It doesn’t look like they did anything to the ball joint nut torquing, and of course I still have the clicking noise (see attached video after service).

@JeepCares can you help?

Sponsored