2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Seguerski I have to block you,
Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
You are lame to think that the factory should'nt seat the fuses when originally installed at the factory. Your making urself look stupid
Maybe they shouldn't tighten the lug nuts either.

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
I truly am sorry for your anger in this.

You are correct, factory does insert relays and fuses, up until testing/QC is complete. Then certain ones are pulled (auxiliary things like power windows, radio, voice control, climate control, etc).

Don’t believe me, that’s cool, just ask your service department.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
OK...love this group. Just checked my mine. All relays were loose..one was about to pop out. I was amazed they had not been seated all the way especially since they don't have a retaining notch like a fuse. 37 fused needed a good nudge in. 15 of which were not past the locking notch. Most were past the locking notch but not fully seated. Thanks for the heads up on this one. A few extra bumps and who knows what I would have experienced.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
nice Meme!

Actually serious. I've had the opportunity to jump into a brand new Wrangler right off of the truck, prior to dealer prep. Lots of functionality didn't work. Tech said they only fully seat the fuses needed to drive on/off trailer (probably to reduce battery drain). He popped the hood and seated fuses/relays (several actually) and voila! fully functional Wrangler. For clarification; by not seated, I mean they're there, just not pushed in.
Personally, I think that tech was blowing smoke up you ass.

Did tech happen to mention "Ship Mode" in regard to your JL and how that in fact is what reduces battery drain on aa JL during transit. In regard to Ship Mode... can only be activated within a 300 mi. window contrary to what the jeepinformant thinks.

YES, on the JK's there was an "ignition off draw" (see pic below) that factory would pull up for transit and dealer would push down...

BUT I say smoke in regard to leaving fuses on your JL, willy nilly not pushed in just for transit..

Pic of a JK distribution box, NOT a JL's:
TowingFuses.JPG

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
Well crap!

It’s not the first and certainly not last time a tech has given some BS to me...

I apologize for any confusion I added to this thread.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It would be interesting to see a dealer prep list for the JL. What exactly is the dealer responsible for before delivering a JL to the customer?

That would make a good video for Jeep Informant.

Froader

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1978 CJ-7
I found out about this in a Facebook post where after 1100 miles someone's JL radio stopped working. Before contacting the dealer, he checked the fuse box. The radio fuse was loose. Pushed it in and viola, the radio started working again. Then checked the rest and found that half were not fully seated.

I don't buy the dealer prep argument for a second. Nor do I believe the argument that the robot would crack the housing if it bottomed out. #1 robots can be designed to limit force. It's easy and it's done all the time. #2, if every other car manufacturer can get it right, why can't Fiat? #3, dealers would never be the last step of the assembly process of a vehicle. That argument is total BS. After reading this on a Facebook forum prior to seeing it here, I checked my own. Over half were not fully seated including relays and 30 amp fuses. Everything was working but some were considerably backed out and tilted.

An hour ago I popped the hood on a co-worker's 2018 Rubicon JL 2-door. 2/3 of the fuses were loose enough to notice. Some pushed in considerably.

So...I called my dealer, spoke to a service manager about it. He sounded surprised to hear about this and is going to talk to their Chrysler Engineer (corporate) and the pre-sales inspection guy at the dealership. They're also going to check a few in their inventory and if they find loose fuses, which they probably will ( bought mine 4 days ago) then they will check them all. I also told him about some speculation out there that there could be a connection between loose fuses (high amp variety) and the few JL fires that happened. The guy said to follow up with him in a week or so and he will let me know what he finds out.

Now I have to contact a few other friends with a new JL's because I know the dealer won't.

BOTTOM LINE.... GO CHECK YOUR FUSES. Then maybe go warn your dealership so someone else doesn't have some critical system fail while driving down the highway.

AFMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Read this thread right after picking up my JLU. Checked the fuses and probably half a dozen were barely hanging on. I'm sure this warning thread saved me some pain.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Strange, I found all mine to be tight.

If this was a robot issue, you'd think it would affect everyone. Or perhaps it's just one line? I've got the 2 door.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange, I found all mine to be tight.

If this was a robot issue, you'd think it would affect everyone. Or perhaps it's just one line? I've got the 2 door.
I really find this hard to believe. You found them all pushed down... bottomed out. I seriously doubt this. No one else has.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I really find this hard to believe. You found them all pushed down... bottomed out. I seriously doubt this. No one else has.
:cwl:

What? Okay, believe whatever conspiracy you want.

20180622_124408.jpg

Here is the picture I took of the fuses before it even went to prep on the dealer lot after delivery.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
:cwl:

What? Okay, believe whatever conspiracy you want.

20180622_124408.jpg

Here is the picture I took of the fuses before it even went to prep on the dealer lot after delivery.
I just this minute went out to my Jeep and checked the fuses. I got the slightest of movement from a handful of them, but they and all the rest were properly and sufficiently seated.

I guess that makes me a co-conspirator. :D

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The title of this thread is "Check your fuses" .....

Many have found the fuses in their JL were not all seated properly.

A few guys even had issues that popped up that were immediately remedied by going to the vehicle and seating all fuses properly.

Reality is a new JL owner may very well have (most undoubtedly do) fuses in their vehicle that are not seated.

I for one will not make comments in this thread that will take away from the recommendation, of making it a point to check fuse seating on a new JL.

Sponsored