Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My son has a 2018 Rubicon and on and off for the past week or so his check engine has has come on and off a few times so he got a scanner to read the code and it generated this code:

PO403

I searched for the above code and found this https://www.obd-codes.com/p0403 so is this an easy fix for the dealer to address and is there any issues with him driving it until his appt next week
Sponsored

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
My son has a 2018 Rubicon and on and off for the past week or so his check engine has has come on and off a few times so he got a scanner to read the code and it generated this code:

PO403

I searched for the above code and found this https://www.obd-codes.com/p0403 so is this an easy fix for the dealer to address and is there any issues with him driving it until his appt next week
If the code is truly something to do with the egr system, I wouldn't think there would be an issue driving it till the appointment. The engine might run a little funny here or there but shouldn't cause any issues

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking generally about a PO403 and not the the JL, that's a generic EGR code. Could be an EGR solenoid for a parts replacer but in my experience with vehicles over the years, it could be a loose hose, crimped hose or the gas cap isn't seated properly. Has anything been touched under the hood or near the fuel filler just before the code appeared? If so then check for loose components around those areas. Did it start occurring just after putting gas into the vehicle? If so, check to see of the gas cap isn't cross threaded or wasn't tightened properly.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The first thing I had him do was take the gas cap off and clean the cap and neck and reinstall and drive to see if it goes out and it did but then came back on and then went out again and is currently off.

He has an appt to have them address his steering issue like the a lot of us and when it goes in for that have them pull the stored codes and address

Sponsored

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Egr is pretty simple in a 3.6l at least... Since your car is out in the field and not at the factory there are a few things we can assume its not... Id start with the egr plug making sure you have power, ground and bus if you have the right voltages it will be a bad egr... Its a super simple circut and not many places it could be.... My next stop would be the pcm to make sure there is no wire pullout or bent pins which is doubtful due to the cel popping up and going away randomly (most likely a spread terminal and the pin isn't making good contact) the egr runs from the fusebox to the pcm to a connection in the right kick panel to the egr... A gascap has nothing to do with the egr because there is no leak... P0403 = egr control circuit/open

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just had this code on a new rubicon, they had to replace a wiring harness.

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
That sounds pretty extreme and alot of extra work

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well I talked to him today and he advised it went out yesterday and is still out so we will see what the dealer says this coming week when he drops it off to have it checked

Dkilduff87

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Hey yall, so I have a 2018 wrangler jlu. This morning I started up and check engine light instantly came on. Turned off and restarted it was still there. Drove to work and had a coworker bring me an obd2. No codes stored. Everything seemed to check out. Used the reader to reset the light. Hasn't come back yet but I haven't driven it yet. We'll see if it comes back heading home later today. Any thoughts as to what could cause it to come on without registering any codes? It has been freezing the past couple of days and today is 50. Possible culprit?
Sponsored