Sponsored

Check Engine Light - Code p0137

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like the same issue I had.
Yea, your description is better than mine, but it sounds very similar.
Sponsored

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
Yea, your description is better than mine, but it sounds very similar.
Talked to the service advisor while picking up the loaner today. Did ask him if there is a leak around the valve cover. He said no leak but there is a service campaign relating to the oxygen sensors failing due to faulty valve covers. I will caveat that I won’t know is this particular diagnosis is an effective one until I get my Jeep back.

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
I have been waiting for this thing to appear to finalize itself before providing another update. So, a quick recap to catch you up.
  1. Jeep starts idling rough and throws the CEL and the Auto/Stop Start Light
  2. Take it in and they tell me there is a leak in the valve cover gasket that was leaking down into the exhaust and fouled the 02 sensor. Replaced the gasket and the 02 sensor and sent me on my way.
  3. After picking up the Jeep I had to go out of town and took the Jeep to the airport. First, morning at home after the trip I notice oil on the floor under the Jeep. Not a pool but like good drips. I can see oil on the side of the block. Take it back in this Monday.
  4. Drop it off and wait. Service Advisor comes in and says its some part down below the airbox and it needs to replaced (after I pick it up I will update the part name here). Have to order it so I leave the Jeep on Monday and the installed on Wednesday. Put everything back together and they determine they still have a leak and discover that in fact when there must have been a fracture in the valve cover. When they replaced the valve cover gasket and retorqued everything that fracture turned into a crack. They need replace the valve cover now. That was Wednesday...valve cover is supposed to be in today.
So, I should get it back today or tomorrow. I will post again once I have it and see how things turn out. Hope that helps someone.
How did things turn out?

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
Appears resolved. Here’s the service ticket. I think the plenum thing was an incorrect diagnosis and likely didn’t need replacement.

253E9ECA-6EB5-4DAE-9E82-6ACE87B8AFCC.jpeg
Thanks.
Mine is still in the shop waiting for the new valve cover. I will keep you guys posted and share how things turn out on my end.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
It's not leaking on to the O2 sensor itself, the sensor is screwed into the exhaust system. Oil leaks off the back of the valve cover very close to the PCV pipe and drips right onto the O2 sensor connector which is mounted in the perfect location to get saturated by oil from a leaky valve cover gasket. I had this problem on a trail, Jeep went into limp mode it was so bad, couldn't get off the trail on 3 cylinders. I figured it out and was able to clean out the connector, clear the codes with my flashcal and get it home.

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
Appears resolved. Here’s the service ticket. I think the plenum thing was an incorrect diagnosis and likely didn’t need replacement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Check Engine Light - Code p0137 253E9ECA-6EB5-4DAE-9E82-6ACE87B8AFCC
Those look like the exact same parts they replacing on mine. I got a call from Jeep customer care and my dealership today and the intake plenum (not sure if the plenum itself or just gaskets) are backordered. Customer care is going to try to get it expedited for me, but there is no date.

The dealership is going to give me a loaner tomorrow since my 2nd vehicle is also in the shop getting repairs from someone running into me.

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
Those look like the exact same parts they replacing on mine. I got a call from Jeep customer care and my dealership today and the intake plenum (not sure if the plenum itself or just gaskets) are backordered. Customer care is going to try to get it expedited for me, but there is no date.

The dealership is going to give me a loaner tomorrow since my 2nd vehicle is also in the shop getting repairs from someone running into me.
Same story here.
Parts are backordered is what I am told as well. Even my dealer is puzzled by the shipping delays. Not sure if they have a supply chain disruption due to pandemic or they are prioritizing factory orders over warranty orders.

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
I just got off the phone with the service department about my jeep. They said that there are intake parts that need to replaced, he was mumbling and hard to understand, but the part is backordered and might be in in the middle if next week, but he couldn't tell me for sure. He said some gaskets needed to replaced too, but not which gaskets. He didn't say anything about having to replace the valve cover though.

The fixed my CEL by replacing a fuel injector but when I picked up the Jeep it was running extremely rough. Took it back and they same day they told me the 2nd fuel injector failed and had to order another one. I would think you would keep a few spare fuel injectors around for a 3.6L Pentastar.

I will keep my fingers crossed but I suspect something upstream is causing the fuel injectors to fail. Another few days and my Jeep will have been in the shop longer than I have owned - frustrating.

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
The fixed my CEL by replacing a fuel injector but when I picked up the Jeep it was running extremely rough. Took it back and they same day they told me the 2nd fuel injector failed and had to order another one. I would think you would keep a few spare fuel injectors around for a 3.6L Pentastar.

I will keep my fingers crossed but I suspect something upstream is causing the fuel injectors to fail. Another few days and my Jeep will have been in the shop longer than I have owned - frustrating.
Sorry to hear.
I couldn’t agree with you more.
I had it for 18 days = 9 days in my possession and 9 days at the shop.
Dealer says parts are expected to arrive by the end of next week. So frustrating....

Sponsored

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020

Was told to pick up my Jeep today. The newly replaced 2nd fuel injector supposedly failed also. No CEL but it still didn't feel right so I drove it a few miles, turned around, and took it back. The dealer told me that they thought it was running fine and said the vibration I was feeling was due to it being a standard transmission and that it was a 2 door sport (yes, they really told me that). The said I needed to drive it another couple hundred miles so that the "computer could learn my driving habits". I got almost home and the CEL started flashing again. I dropped it at another dealer. The service tech started up my Jeep and said "this engine has a misfire". He checked for codes and found 3. Hoping that dealer #2 can diagnose the issue.

OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Was told to pick up my Jeep today. The newly replaced 2nd fuel injector supposedly failed also. No CEL but it still didn't feel right so I drove it a few miles, turned around, and took it back. The dealer told me that they thought it was running fine and said the vibration I was feeling was due to it being a standard transmission and that it was a 2 door sport (yes, they really told me that). The said I needed to drive it another couple hundred miles so that the "computer could learn my driving habits". I got almost home and the CEL started flashing again. I dropped it at another dealer. The service tech started up my Jeep and said "this engine has a misfire". He checked for codes and found 3. Hoping that dealer #2 can diagnose the issue.
Good grief

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
Sorry man. Hope they fix it this time.
Did they tell you the codes?

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry man. Hope they fix it this time.
Did they tell you the codes?
I was so frustrated I forgot to take a picture of the codes. One of them was the same as the other day (p2097 - downstream fuel trim system 1 rich), another one was "misfire on cylinder #1, and I can't remember the third code. I do know it was something on cylinder #1. It was cylinder #4 last time.

Is your fixed yet and if so, what was the problem?

Beantown

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Manual
I was so frustrated I forgot to take a picture of the codes. One of them was the same as the other day (p2097 - downstream fuel trim system 1 rich), another one was "misfire on cylinder #1, and I can't remember the third code. I do know it was something on cylinder #1. It was cylinder #4 last time.

Is your fixed yet and if so, what was the problem?
Not yet. The dealer still does not have all the parts. I am told O2 failed due to a bad valve cover.
Dealer has my Jeep longer than I have at this point.
Sponsored