Charging problem....or is it???

desant89

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
So I bought my first Wrangler, an 18 Sahara (used) 2.0 turbo about 4 days ago. I get in it last night to take a 20 mile drive. Shortly into it, the engine light comes on. Then a few minutes later, I get a message that it is minimizing power so some systems may not work properly. I then go to the battery gauge and see I am at 11.7 volts. I get to my destination, and it is between 10.9-11.1. I stayed for an hour and figured I would try to make it home. I am thinking the whole time, the alternator went. I start home, voltage slowly dropping, I pull into Jeep dealer and barely make it into a spot with 8.9V left. I leave it there. I get a call this morning, and I explain. He told me it is probably a battery. I didn't think so, but whatever. He calls me now and says it is done, it was a bad battery that quickly failed their tests, and has been replaced. I am not sure if things are different with new cars, but I would have thought that I would have read decent voltage due to the alternator when driving. How can this all of have been caused by a bad battery?
Sponsored

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
I'm not surprised it was a bad battery that caused the issues. I started a poll about who had bad batteries around a month ago. Although the sample size is a bit small, looks like it's around a 40% failure rate with these shit OEM batteries.

OP
OP

desant89

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
I'm not surprised it was a bad battery that caused the issues. I started a poll about who had bad batteries around a month ago. Although the sample size is a bit small, looks like it's around a 40% failure rate with these shit OEM batteries.
The issue I had seems so much more like an alternator issue than a battery issue. I do not understand how I can be driving on Battery alone if not regulator or alternator issue.

OP
OP

desant89

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Well, there's a shocker. Happened again today. I got the code this time p0ac7 something to do with hybrid battery temperature sensor or high voltage sensor.
Sponsored