Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That is an interesting idea, Wibornz! I've seen those kind of top-of-the-windshield tintings before, but never one quite as wide (tall?) as yours there. I like the idea, though!

I do have to wonder if having that wide a tint strip on the windshield might goad some cop or state trooper into giving a ticket for it, though, as windshields are never supposed to have aftermarket tinting on them (which didn't stop me from already having mine tinted to 70% transmittance, LOL).
I have driven the Jeep in forty states and approximately 75,000 miles with zero issues from law enforcement.
Sponsored

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
A lot of time, tint is a secondary offense and they dont pull you over strictly for the tint. I know its like that here in FL. Granted, most states also let you tint down to the AS-1 line. However, it is a line we do not have on the Jeep. I thought about tinting my entire windshield 55% as I suffer from chronic migraines but I drive a lot at night. The headlights on the Jeep are just not bright enough for that.

OP
OP
Chugiakguy

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
A lot of time, tint is a secondary offense and they dont pull you over strictly for the tint. I know its like that here in FL. Granted, most states also let you tint down to the AS-1 line. However, it is a line we do not have on the Jeep. I thought about tinting my entire windshield 55% as I suffer from chronic migraines but I drive a lot at night. The headlights on the Jeep are just not bright enough for that.
I do realize that in most locations, Byrds, having window tinting, by itself, is not in practice a primary offense that would get one pulled over, unless you have stupidly dark tinting like 5% or something on that order. And in fact, I have 30% on my side and rear windows in my pickup, and in almost 27 years I've never been pulled over for it, or had it mentioned by the officer in any of the rare instances in which I had been pulled over for some other reason.

I did have my Jeep's windshield recently tinted to 70%, but I did that after having already compensated for the weak stock halogen headlight bulbs with some aftermarket LED bulbs, which are not as lighthouse-beam-bright as the stock LED headlights, but are at least MUCH better than the halogens.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Haven't given this visor thing much thought, but this thread got me to go out and check. Both of my visors are rock solid. NO movement whatsoever. 21 Willys.

G.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
A lot of time, tint is a secondary offense and they dont pull you over strictly for the tint. I know its like that here in FL.
I do realize that in most locations, Byrds, having window tinting, by itself, is not in practice a primary offense that would get one pulled over...
Some years ago, I was pulled over precisely because of the observable tint on the front side windows of my car, and received an $80 fine.

PA is known for being very prescriptive about auto window tinting, so I shouldn't have been surprised. That said, I had just returned home after being stationed in Florida on active duty, and was still in the process of transferring the vehicle's plate and registration from FL to PA. That didn't get any traction with the LEO, though, so I paid the $80 and removed the professionally-applied tint. Done and done.

Sponsored

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some years ago, I was pulled over precisely because of the observable tint on the front side windows of my car, and received an $80 fine.

PA is known for being very prescriptive about auto window tinting, so I shouldn't have been surprised. That said, I had just returned home after being stationed in Florida on active duty, and was still in the process of transferring the vehicle's plate and registration from FL to PA. That didn't get any traction with the LEO, though, so I paid the $80 and removed the professionally-applied tint. Done and done.
Wow, I am surprised they gave you a ticket. Especially since the vehicle was registered in FL at the time so it technically had to only follow FL law.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wow, I am surprised they gave you a ticket. Especially since the vehicle was registered in FL at the time so it technically had to only follow FL law.
I'm fairly confident that where the vehicle is registered is irrelevant. As shown by @Heimkehr, you can clearly be ticketed / fined for not complying with local laws.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I know it's an old thread, but my visors are just like the OP described. I checked them the other day because of the threads I had read here about them breaking. When I felt the plastic covers wobble so easily, I thought they just needed tightening. But just like the OP, the screws on mine are plenty tight.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm fairly confident that where the vehicle is registered is irrelevant. As shown by @Heimkehr, you can clearly be ticketed / fined for not complying with local laws.
If that was the case, no one could leave their respective states as laws vary so wildly.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Figured I would chime in. My visors were totally fine as well......until they weren't! I got these on Amazon and they worked great. I would highly recommend to anyone just to get them and put them on. Nothing worse than a long highway trip and finding out your visor just hangs down when engaged
Amazon.com: Upgrade Aluminum Alloy Sun Visor Repair Kit Heavy Duty Visor Mounting Clips Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JK 2018/ Wrangler JL JLU 2018-2022/ Gladiator JT 2020-2022 (2 Pack)-Patent Pending : Automotive

Sponsored

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
In trying to install a reinforcement clip to forestall the apparently notorious sun visor support arm breaking, I found something else that I see as a potential problem down the road.

While the visor support arm on my new Jeep is not broken (yet), when trying to install the Auxito reinforcement clip, I noticed that the base of the sun visor is itself very loose, and wobbles very noticeably, in a front-to-back direction. I tried tightening the two screws on either side of the visor support arm, but they were in fact very tight already. So I'm just wondering if this is 'normal' on JLs, or not, as I could easily see the entire visor mount coming loose or breaking before very long, as much as I use the sun visor.

Circled in red is the loose/wobbly part that I am referring to:

sun-visor-mount.jpg
How's it holding up? Any updates? I am have the same issue on a Gladiator I just bought. Thanks

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Going back through this thread I wonder if it's designed that way intentionally to allow for some give, similarly to the play that exists in the exterior door handles.
Sponsored