Ceramic spray vs coating

mbar1156

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’ve been looking at ceramic coatings. What’re your thoughts with sprays vs the actual coating for DIY. What are the brands you’ve had the most success with?
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
I’ve done the actual coating on my JL and I use the spray on my grand Cherokee . The biggest difference I find is just longevity . The spray works well when first applied but the coating will continue to sheet water for years without recoating and I have to respray the other one after a few washes.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic spray vs coating C7D7057B-EC0A-43B2-A4A6-6C0ACA47378A

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I was just having this discussion with my friend. We both had detailing businesses years ago as well. He showed me his black Sahara after using Adams Clear Coat kit. He said it was very easy to apply but you have to be meticulous with the application and cover all areas. For me, I’m not sold on it. I’ve used almost every product you can imagine and just tried the Turtle Wax Ceramic spray and it was the easiest thing ever to apply and remove. Literally, it took me 15 min to cover my entire 2020 Rubi 2 dr. ZERO streaks or haze and far more slick than carnauba. Things is... even if you apply a pro ceramic coating you’ll still end up washing and detailing your vehicle to some degree.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had a car that I had professionally ceramic coated when I bought it. They used Ceramic Pro 9H. I had the car for almost 3 years. The coating was still very much there when I sold it.

Just before I sold it, it was hit (n-run) in the parking lot at work. They damaged the rear quarter panel just behind the door. It had a crease from someone's bumper sliding across it. There was transfer of paint from the offender, but the ceramic coating protected the paint and I was able to have it all removed with PDR (paintless dent removal). I'm impressed as hell with that stuff.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic spray vs coating 20190805_123325
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic spray vs coating 20190805_123429
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic spray vs coating 20190823_171932

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was just having this discussion with my friend. We both had detailing businesses years ago as well. He showed me his black Sahara after using Adams Clear Coat kit. He said it was very easy to apply but you have to be meticulous with the application and cover all areas. For me, I’m not sold on it. I’ve used almost every product you can imagine and just tried the Turtle Wax Ceramic spray and it was the easiest thing ever to apply and remove. Literally, it took me 15 min to cover my entire 2020 Rubi 2 dr. ZERO streaks or haze and far more slick than carnauba. Things is... even if you apply a pro ceramic coating you’ll still end up washing and detailing your vehicle to some degree.
I used the Mother's spray ceramic on my JL last October. It's been thru the Costco slinging roller carwash probably 10-12 times as well as a touchless drive in wash maybe 5-6 times. The sides are still feeling slick and bead water off well. The hood, not so much. This JL lives outside in socal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mbar1156

mbar1156

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’ve done the actual coating on my JL and I use the spray on my grand Cherokee . The biggest difference I find is just longevity . The spray works well when first applied but the coating will continue to sheet water for years without recoating and I have to respray the other one after a few washes.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic spray vs coating 20190823_171932
what coating do you use?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i just used the turtle wax ceramic spray on my f250 and it did a good job. this is a work truck so i just needed to make it shine up a tad and i didn't bother to do a full prep so we'll see how long it lasts. it streaked a bit going on but a quick buff with a damp microfiber cloth evened it out nicely. took no more than 30 minutes or so to do the whole truck, plastics included.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I had mine coated when it had about 300 miles on it. The best way to do it is to have it paint corrected and then do the application of something like CQuartz. It is very easy to clean and even a simple brushless carwash will make it look new again. You can literally dry the car in 2 minutes with a leaf blower.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Has anybody here tried The Last Coat? It seems to get really good reviews on-line.
Sponsored