Sponsored

Centerforce Clutch Updates.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
And here is my 2018 with just 27K on my lift ready for me to install the new CF II. I will be starting a new thread with detailed photos once I begin.

JLOnLift.jpg
Yes photos! But more importantly for us without the knowledge or equipment to install ourselves, driving and performance details!!! I am assuming you have the newest version that I aquired, with the new hydraulic tubes and such?
Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
@Cutterone , Yes, I have the latest CF II version. I will do my best in documenting everything with photos and quick captions.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Cutterone , Yes, I have the latest CF II version. I will do my best in documenting everything with photos and quick captions.
Thanks much appreciated, maybe I jumped the gun getting the CF2 when I'm having no issues with mine, but I just didn't want to worry about it. Not sure if I'm going to have it installed this fall or hold off til spring, drive the spare car mostly this winter anyway...

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok guys, lets get real. For the last 2 months or so, I'm getting a hot metal/burning smell at the same point on my drive home from work, no where else really. It's a long steep grade, I'm always in 3rd gear, RPM just under 3k to maintain a speed around 45-50. I can't think of it being anything else but the clutch, but I've never had a clutch go on me so can't definitely say its the clutch. I feel no slipping when this happens, and the tach stays steady... Am I looking at (or smelling) a roasting clutch? I was gonna wait to install the CF but think I'm going to do it asap. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, its freakin me out!!!

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Ok guys, lets get real. For the last 2 months or so, I'm getting a hot metal/burning smell at the same point on my drive home from work, no where else really. It's a long steep grade, I'm always in 3rd gear, RPM just under 3k to maintain a speed around 45-50. I can't think of it being anything else but the clutch, but I've never had a clutch go on me so can't definitely say its the clutch. I feel no slipping when this happens, and the tach stays steady... Am I looking at (or smelling) a roasting clutch? I was gonna wait to install the CF but think I'm going to do it asap. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, its freakin me out!!!
More info would be needed To offer anything intelligent. Have you done the two recalls? If you look at the hose from the brake reservoir, does it look ok? Any cracks or drying? If you did the recall, the sleeve might make it hard to see.

if you have done the recalls, then the computer is supposed to put the jeep in limp mode if it detects slipping. Notice anything? Secondly if you have, you may want to pay another shop to do another bleed operation, cause maybe dealership didn’t perform this correctly.

i use 3rd a lot up the mountains here, but that’s up I70 to Eisenhower tunnel, 14k or so elevation. Clearly don’t know your hill grade or length, but for me, 3rd is normal up hills here.

I’m thinking if the tach is staying steady, that is interesting and a positive sign. I watched videos of people with slipping clutches and their tach while driving steady, rpm gauge was up and down like a pogo stick. And if clutch was slipping, I think you would have that everywhere, not just on one hill.

you could have a shop do an inspection, if that helps to make you feel better, one way or the other. Probably wouldn’t cost a lot. Probably the best way to be sure, like nuking the aliens from orbit.

but, if you haven’t done the recalls, you should start there.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More info would be needed To offer anything intelligent. Have you done the two recalls? If you look at the hose from the brake reservoir, does it look ok? Any cracks or drying? If you did the recall, the sleeve might make it hard to see.

if you have done the recalls, then the computer is supposed to put the jeep in limp mode if it detects slipping. Notice anything? Secondly if you have, you may want to pay another shop to do another bleed operation, cause maybe dealership didn’t perform this correctly.

i use 3rd a lot up the mountains here, but that’s up I70 to Eisenhower tunnel, 14k or so elevation. Clearly don’t know your hill grade or length, but for me, 3rd is normal up hills here.

I’m thinking if the tach is staying steady, that is interesting and a positive sign. I watched videos of people with slipping clutches and their tach while driving steady, rpm gauge was up and down like a pogo stick. And if clutch was slipping, I think you would have that everywhere, not just on one hill.

you could have a shop do an inspection, if that helps to make you feel better, one way or the other. Probably wouldn’t cost a lot. Probably the best way to be sure, like nuking the aliens from orbit.

but, if you haven’t done the recalls, you should start there.
thanks for the response, it’s a 2021 and came with new steering box as well as both recall changes from the factory. I had a 2018 JL and no issues or smells from clutch, that also had both recalls done before trade in. Is it possible for the clutch plates to create unwanted friction even if no slippage or rpm changes are noticeable? I guess it’s all besides the point because I have a CF2 kit sitting in my garage so I’m just gonna have it thrown in asap and then Hopefully that stank is history. It’s unnerving…definitely going to keep old clutch and document any illegitimate wear on it…

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I’m amazed how many people have lifts.
We’ve been to a few open houses in the are and 3 of the homes had a lift in the garage.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’m amazed how many people have lifts.
We’ve been to a few open houses in the are and 3 of the homes had a lift in the garage.
Lifts are a necessity either a two-post or a four-post if you you are seriously into cars/trucks/Jeeps. They assist in getting any undercarriage work done safer, fast and more cost effective. Fortunately, I picked up my BendPak 8000K almost 20 yrs ago when they were dirt cheap. Currenty, I'm having a Barndaninum custom built near Jasper, FL in which my lift will follow along with a work pit to be able to work on my RV. Even having a QuickJack system helps if you are limited in space and need portability.

Due to the lift of my Jeep and a 48" ceiling fan I cannot get the JL all the way up, but as it is I'm able to wrench on it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
thanks for the response, it’s a 2021 and came with new steering box as well as both recall changes from the factory. I had a 2018 JL and no issues or smells from clutch, that also had both recalls done before trade in. Is it possible for the clutch plates to create unwanted friction even if no slippage or rpm changes are noticeable? I guess it’s all besides the point because I have a CF2 kit sitting in my garage so I’m just gonna have it thrown in asap and then Hopefully that stank is history. It’s unnerving…definitely going to keep old clutch and document any illegitimate wear on it…
Burning clutch is a very distinct smell.

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burning clutch is a very distinct smell.
Well I can't think of what else if could be, and it only happens in that distinct scenario, since I already have the new clutch just doing to get it in pronto

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Thanks much appreciated, maybe I jumped the gun getting the CF2 when I'm having no issues with mine, but I just didn't want to worry about it. Not sure if I'm going to have it installed this fall or hold off til spring, drive the spare car mostly this winter anyway...
Me too. Mine has no problems so far but I am afraid to drive it. On the fence trading in or putting CF in.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I've had this problem and it's been reported by others. For me it was the freeway entrance ramp, long grade and excelerating in 3rd gear to reach freeway speed. Shortly after merging on the freeway there was an overpass and I would frequently smell something burning when I went under the overpass. It took awhile before I noticed the pattern realized it was me.

I've smelled a burnt clutch before, this was more of a burning paper smell. After my original clutch failed the recall test and was replaced, I'm sure I still had the smell a few times with the new clutch, but it seems to be gone now. The clutch was replaced at 20k, it's at 24k now.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had this problem and it's been reported by others. For me it was the freeway entrance ramp, long grade and excelerating in 3rd gear to reach freeway speed. Shortly after merging on the freeway there was an overpass and I would frequently smell something burning when I went under the overpass. It took awhile before I noticed the pattern realized it was me.

I've smelled a burnt clutch before, this was more of a burning paper smell. After my original clutch failed the recall test and was replaced, I'm sure I still had the smell a few times with the new clutch, but it seems to be gone now. The clutch was replaced at 20k, it's at 24k now.
Yeah probably the same thing I'm experiencing. And as soon as I crest the hill, the smell goes away. To me it smells kinda like a hot hair dryer if that makes any sense! My clutch feels fine, I'm just nervous! I'm at 21k miles, and am hoping to get the CF2 kit installed next week, and hope the smell disappears...I'm sure with your new clutch at first you are going to smell a little something as it breaks in a bit...

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Yeah probably the same thing I'm experiencing. And as soon as I crest the hill, the smell goes away. To me it smells kinda like a hot hair dryer if that makes any sense! My clutch feels fine, I'm just nervous! I'm at 21k miles, and am hoping to get the CF2 kit installed next week, and hope the smell disappears...I'm sure with your new clutch at first you are going to smell a little something as it breaks in a bit...
I meant to add that the original clutch always had issues and was a little tricky to engage smoothly, the replacement behaves like a normal clutch, like the other manuals I've been driving for decades.
Sponsored