CB Antenna Mount Needed!

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I suppose I will have to bust out the Go PROs to film and timelapse the install when my JLUR gets here.
Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
No, I used some thing like this: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-K400S-NMO-adjustable-Antenna-Vehicle/dp/B00AR09JOQ
I mounted it to the passenger side of the tailgate, on the lip. There is a little aluminum shim to stop the set screws from damaging the paint, zip tied the antenna cable right to the existing cable bundle on the tailgate, then under the carpet to the head unit under the passenger seat. The antenna cable wasn't typical thick antenna cable it was rather small. I never had any issues with chaffing with it run the way I ran it, but your mileage may vary depending on how you mount yours.

Additionally, with my antenna on the mount, it only stuck up past the top about six inches. When my Rhino rack was installed, it only stood about two inches past the platform.
Thanks a lot Rumblefish!!!

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Anybody figure this out yet? I pulled the wiring, CB and antenna from my JK. Hate just having it sit in the garage.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Before the first JL's came from the factory...rumor had it that the JL came with CB coax already wired in the chassis. Any truth to that? Or did Jeep simply decide that 'no one uses CB anymore' and save a couple of bucks?

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Before the first JL's came from the factory...rumor had it that the JL came with CB coax already wired in the chassis. Any truth to that? Or did Jeep simply decide that 'no one uses CB anymore' and save a couple of bucks?
That would be awesome but I never heard anything about that. I can go dig around when it stops raining.

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I think the wiring that was discussed would be the under dash and hood pre-wiring that came with the HD Electrical / Tow package. You must have the AUX switches in order to have additional power wiring.

There was talk about a pre-wire for CB but nobody has confirmed coax cable yet. I do not think they actually wired coax into any of them. It should not be all that difficult to run the wires though. Additionally, people like to have antennas in different locations, why would the factory provide wiring to one location and not the others, it would make no sense.

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
I think the wiring that was discussed would be the under dash and hood pre-wiring that came with the HD Electrical / Tow package. You must have the AUX switches in order to have additional power wiring.

There was talk about a pre-wire for CB but nobody has confirmed coax cable yet. I do not think they actually wired coax into any of them. It should not be all that difficult to run the wires though. Additionally, people like to have antennas in different locations, why would the factory provide wiring to one location and not the others, it would make no sense.
I don’t have mine but others have confirmed that there is not Pre-wiring for cb antennas in the JL. There is wiring for power though in the aux switches under the glove compartment so halfway!

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Who is going to have the first CB antenna mount for the JL? I need one similar to those made to mount behind the spare tire. I'd like it to have an extra hole for a flag mount for off road parks and sand dunes.

Who will be first? @TeraFlex Suspensions, Smittybilt, @Quadratec @ACE Engineering Extreme Terrain? @Northridge4x4 ? Who wants my money? I ordered a CB today, so I'll need something soon!
ExtremeTerrain has updated their catalog for the JL and has several CB antenna mounts and kits listed as JL-compatible:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/search?keywords=cb&generation=2018&vehicleType=Wrangler

If the link doesn't work, just go to www.extremeterrain.com and search "cb" and sort for JL Wranglers.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
ExtremeTerrain has updated their catalog for the JL and has several CB antenna mounts and kits listed as JL-compatible:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/search?keywords=cb&generation=2018&vehicleType=Wrangler

If the link doesn't work, just go to www.extremeterrain.com and search "cb" and sort for JL Wranglers.
Unless they are sending a different mount for the JL when you order which it doesn't look like they are, the mount will not work. The bolt spacing is different. I can't believe they can be that incompetent!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how the Extreme Terrain CB or antenna mounts can work on the JL.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Extremeterrain.com claims this mount will work for the JL. I emailed them and they said they've been assured by the manufacturer that it fits. I don't know how that can be, but I'm going to go ahead and order one and find out for myself. It has the two holes I want, one for the CB antenna, and one for a flag.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-cb-antenna-jk-1150389.html

Last edited:

Jeffreyhack

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I like how the antenna is not included in the Rugged Ridge. Picture shows it, but its just the wiring.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Although tailgate mounts are very popular, there are some things to be concerned about. The primary consideration is the difference between an electrical (DC) ground and an RF ground. Electrical grounds are relatively straightforward and are extremely easy to test for using an Ohmmeter. RF grounds, on the other hand are not so easy to test for - as the ohmmeter will show it as grounded. But RF antennas need a good ground-plane to "push-back" against. The metal body/frame of the Jeep is not the greatest for a ground plane but it's all we got! Coming back to the tailgate, the OEM typically has some type of nylon or Teflon material lining the hinges so that is opens smoothly and without squeaks. The net of this is that the hinges really don't allow the tailgate to achieve a good RF ground plane with the main Jeep structure. (They are not as structurally connected as you would want.) The latch and strike plate will help but often the OEM will use non-metallic materials to improve NVH. Well, long story short, sometimes the tailgate is the most convenient (and likely the most popular) but you can probably achieve much better RF performance if you can find a location to mount the antenna bracket directly to the body or frame.
Sponsored