CB Antenna Mount Needed!

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
So based on this diagram since I am new to CB world how would you wire it? Obviously it doesn’t need a 40A aux connection. I am confused 6 wires for 4 aux connections......
There are a total of 6 wires if you order the tow package. The Tow Package comes with 4 Auxiliary switches on the dash that you can use for anything light Lights, CB, Horn....................

So four of those wires are for the switches, one for each switch. If you were going to wire something to a switch, you would connect the positive Red Wire from say your CB to one of those wires that correspond to the switch you want to use. The other wire from the CB, usually Black, is your Negative Wire. also called Ground Wire. The Black Wire will be connected to the Chassis. You can usually find a bolt somewhere under the dash on the firewall. There is a great grounded bolt for the Neg. wire right on the passenger side when you open the door on the right side of the dash. you just pop the cover off there and you will see bolts you can attach your Neg. Black Wire too.

The other two wires that are there are used to power things that don't need switches. There is a 12v Direct to battery Wire that is always hot (on) even when the vehicle is off. And there is a 12v Ignition/accessory Wire that is only hot when the Vehicle is on or in accessory mode.

You could connect the CB to any of these wires.

Hope that helps.

Here is a picture of where I hooked my Neg. Ground Wire from my dash cam I installed at the location I spoke of above:
Ground Bolt.jpg
Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Yeah, me, too, if they include an extra hole for a flag. I think Smittybilt does that with their JK mount. We have The Badlands off road park nearby and they require flags. I've got to have a place to mount one. I might, however, be able to do something with one on the front steel bumper.
That's nice that they have a flag hole. Hopefully Teraflex will have that!

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There are a total of 6 wires if you order the tow package. The Tow Package comes with 4 Auxiliary switches on the dash that you can use for anything light Lights, CB, Horn....................

So four of those wires are for the switches, one for each switch. If you were going to wire something to a switch, you would connect the positive Red Wire from say your CB to one of those wires that correspond to the switch you want to use. The other wire from the CB, usually Black, is your Negative Wire. also called Ground Wire. The Black Wire will be connected to the Chassis. You can usually find a bolt somewhere under the dash on the firewall. There is a great grounded bolt for the Neg. wire right on the passenger side when you open the door on the right side of the dash. you just pop the cover off there and you will see bolts you can attach your Neg. Black Wire too.

The other two wires that are there are used to power things that don't need switches. There is a 12v Direct to battery Wire that is always hot (on) even when the vehicle is off. And there is a 12v Ignition/accessory Wire that is only hot when the Vehicle is on or in accessory mode.

You could connect the CB to any of these wires.

Hope that helps.

Here is a picture of where I hooked my Neg. Ground Wire from my dash cam I installed at the location I spoke of above:
Ground Bolt.jpg
Thanks that helps a lot.
What would you typically wire directly to the battery? Would the ignition/accessory wire typically be used for a CB or do most run them through a switch? Guessing you wouldn’t use a 40A switch for a CB.
What would you typically run to the 40A switches? Stuff like a winch or light bar that would pull more power?

I did order the tow package.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Thanks that helps a lot.
What would you typically wire directly to the battery? Would the ignition/accessory wire typically be used for a CB or do most run them through a switch? Guessing you wouldn’t use a 40A switch for a CB.
What would you typically run to the 40A switches? Stuff like a winch or light bar that would pull more power?

I did order the tow package.
No problem Swanny! I think I’m going to run the CB to the ignition as the last one I wired to my Tahoe draws a small amount of current even with the radio turned off and it would drain my battery. Not sure if the cobra 75 has this issue.

One thing I know you would want to connect directly to the battery is a security system or a dash cam which is what I have connected to the battery but the dash cam is also connected to the ignition wire. How that works is there is a little power box that gets hooked to the battery wire and the ignition/Accessory wire. Then the dash cam gets hooked to the Power Box. The power box uses the Ignition/Accessory Wire when the vehicle is running, and uses the battery wire when the vehicle is off. There is a setting on the box that will shut the power off to the camera when the battery voltage reaches a certain voltage so you don’t drain it and are able to still start your Jeep. The power box came with my dash cam BlackVue dr750s I can explain it more if you need me too.

I would assume you would want to use the 40 amp for the Winch and some high power lighting! Like you said, anything that draws a lot of current.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Although I am not installing a CB, but I will be putting my Yaseau FT7900 Dual Band radio in, I did see somewhere in my surfing that there is a company that is doing an AM/FM CB antenna mount that replaces the factory radio antenna with a multi plexor so the antenna is actually dual purpose.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/cb-am-fm-antenna-mount-kit-97-18-jeep-wrangler-17212-20.html
Oh man! That’s interesting!!! Wonder how well it works because that would be the way to go!!! Thanks for posting!!!

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man! That’s interesting!!! Wonder how well it works because that would be the way to go!!! Thanks for posting!!!
The only time I get to use this quote and it be accurate. "I'm from the government, and here to help!"

I can't tell you how well it works, but that link was specifically for the JK, but I saw a video that mentioned that the JL version is coming soon.

I will see if I can find reviews or something. No guarantees.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Although I am not installing a CB, but I will be putting my Yaseau FT7900 Dual Band radio in, I did see somewhere in my surfing that there is a company that is doing an AM/FM CB antenna mount that replaces the factory radio antenna with a multi plexor so the antenna is actually dual purpose.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/cb-am-fm-antenna-mount-kit-97-18-jeep-wrangler-17212-20.html
I can't believe I'm actually thinking about buying a Rugged Ridge product, but I'm seriously considering this, too. Paired with my Cobra 75, I think this would work better with the antenna up front and not partially covered by a tire or the hard top. Plus, my Firestik on my JK would sometimes smack the hard top when hitting the trails.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't believe I'm actually thinking about buying a Rugged Ridge product, but I'm seriously considering this, too. Paired with my Cobra 75, I think this would work better with the antenna up front and not partially covered by a tire or the hard top. Plus, my Firestik on my JK would sometimes smack the hard top when hitting the trails.
There are other options out there, BUT I think that the Rugged Ridge one is the only one that actually comes with the little antenna mount, vs just the multiplexor... Also, I am not quite sure that it is currently available for the JL the link I posted was for the JK, but the same concept still applies.

A concern that I would have is the strength of the mount with a fire stick on it, there may be smaller CB antennas out there, I am by no means a CB expert. I know exactly where my Ham antenna is going, right side of the tailgate next to spare.

I hope it works out for ya

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
There are other options out there, BUT I think that the Rugged Ridge one is the only one that actually comes with the little antenna mount, vs just the multiplexor... Also, I am not quite sure that it is currently available for the JL the link I posted was for the JK, but the same concept still applies.

A concern that I would have is the strength of the mount with a fire stick on it, there may be smaller CB antennas out there, I am by no means a CB expert. I know exactly where my Ham antenna is going, right side of the tailgate next to spare.

I hope it works out for ya
I’m a licensed ham but never have had a mobile unit. Please post pics of your setup when you do it and let us know here when you do. Thanks!!!

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m a licensed ham but never have had a mobile unit. Please post pics of your setup when you do it and let us know here when you do. Thanks!!!
Sure think, I have been thinking about how to mount it since the first pics of the interior came out. On my JK I remote mounted the face of my Ft-7900 right above the mirror using a GoPRO handlebar mount, and had to find a odd cable that moved the handset away from the head unit. It took about a week to find out that the cable isn't a common telephone cable (RJ-11). I also mounted my external speaker under the zippered padding right by my head on the drivers side. It was a total steal job, other than the antenna and the handset hanging on the grab bar, you would never know there was a radio in there. First call I made was to a guy over 300 miles away (I was using repeaters).

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Sure think, I have been thinking about how to mount it since the first pics of the interior came out. On my JK I remote mounted the face of my Ft-7900 right above the mirror using a GoPRO handlebar mount, and had to find a odd cable that moved the handset away from the head unit. It took about a week to find out that the cable isn't a common telephone cable (RJ-11). I also mounted my external speaker under the zippered padding right by my head on the drivers side. It was a total steal job, other than the antenna and the handset hanging on the grab bar, you would never know there was a radio in there. First call I made was to a guy over 300 miles away (I was using repeaters).
That sounds awesome!!! The only thing I’ve ever used is an HT. I probably will try and do something also.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds awesome!!! The only thing I’ve ever used is an HT. I probably will try and do something also.
Oh yeah, I have 3 of those cheap ones from Amazon. I know that some "experts" will argue that my antenna placement is not ideal and will negatively impact range, but that is where I put it. Solving range issues through increased power. 100w should get the job done.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Oh yeah, I have 3 of those cheap ones from Amazon. I know that some "experts" will argue that my antenna placement is not ideal and will negatively impact range, but that is where I put it. Solving range issues through increased power. 100w should get the job done.
So are you going to use a spare mount?

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are you going to use a spare mount?
No, I used some thing like this: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-K400S-NMO-adjustable-Antenna-Vehicle/dp/B00AR09JOQ
I mounted it to the passenger side of the tailgate, on the lip. There is a little aluminum shim to stop the set screws from damaging the paint, zip tied the antenna cable right to the existing cable bundle on the tailgate, then under the carpet to the head unit under the passenger seat. The antenna cable wasn't typical thick antenna cable it was rather small. I never had any issues with chaffing with it run the way I ran it, but your mileage may vary depending on how you mount yours.

Additionally, with my antenna on the mount, it only stuck up past the top about six inches. When my Rhino rack was installed, it only stood about two inches past the platform.
Sponsored