First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
The OEM receiver is a Class 2. You should not use a WDH on a Class 2 Receiver. There is a large amount of torque applied to the receiver with a WDH that can bend the attachment points. The receiver needs to be modified to give a more robust attachment to the frame so the torque can be distributed through the frame to the front axle. I'm not saying you can't use the OEM with a WDH. You just need to be aware you are exceeding the design specs. At the very least, inspect the hitch attachments regularly for any sign of damage.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The OEM receiver is a Class 2. You should not use a WDH on a Class 2 Receiver. There is a large amount of torque applied to the receiver with a WDH that can bend the attachment points. The receiver needs to be modified to give a more robust attachment to the frame so the torque can be distributed through the frame to the front axle. I'm not saying you can't use the OEM with a WDH. You just need to be aware you are exceeding the design specs. At the very least, inspect the hitch attachments regularly for any sign of damage.
You really don't need a WDH below 5k lbs, our tow rating is so low, I wouldn't want the additional weight of the WDH alone diminishing it even further. The jl just isn't a tow rig no matter what people think. A small pop up or aluminum boat is about the only thing I'd even consider hooking to the back of the Jeep.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
3500lbs for the JLU. 2000lbs for the JL. Sucks but thats what it is. Teardrop trailers or tiny light boats. I am getting a 1,000lb trailer for my JL and still getting brakes ln the trailer. I would not want to get close to 2,000 lbs. Granted it is a 2 door though.

Jeeps are fun as hell but they are also a headache in terms of towing and payload. And dont get me started on roof racks lol!. You either drill through fiberglass, pray the gods your rain gutters dont crack, or drive inside a fugly cage.

Bruceter

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon,
Firstly I just want say that I totally agree on what you have said, but I’m wondering is this information something that you gotten directly from FCA?

Someone here has mentioned the Draw-Tite hitch to replace the Mopar hitch. It does look to be a bit beefier than the Mopar hitch however it is mounted identically to the way the Mopar hitch is mounted and the only way to take advantage of the extra weights it capable of is to use a weight distribution hitch.

I do believe that most of the people here using a weight distribution hitch is to level out the tow and to add some sway control. So with that being said if one is in the weight limits set by FCA for their Jeep is there really problem in using a weight distribution hitch with the Mopar hitch?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Firstly I just want say that I totally agree on what you have said, but I’m wondering is this information something that you gotten directly from FCA?

Someone here has mentioned the Draw-Tite hitch to replace the Mopar hitch. It does look to be a bit beefier than the Mopar hitch however it is mounted identically to the way the Mopar hitch is mounted and the only way to take advantage of the extra weights it capable of is to use a weight distribution hitch.

I do believe that most of the people here using a weight distribution hitch is to level out the tow and to add some sway control. So with that being said if one is in the weight limits set by FCA for their Jeep is there really problem in using a weight distribution hitch with the Mopar hitch?
I’d think the weak link here would be the mounting system. Regardless of how heavy the “hitch” may be, the connection is only going to hold “X” amount of weight. Really though, it shouldn’t matter. If you are looking to pull a trailer with any weight to it, you shouldn’t be looking at a Wrangler..
Sponsored