Sponsored

CASTER 6 or 5.5???

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I took my caster from 5 to 6.5 and it took care of the wandering. Now I have a pretty hard pull to the left. I spun both uppers the same number of turns. I had my alignment checked before and after. The caster is where I want it but now my thrust angle is off? Assuming that's what is causing the pull. Why would adding caster cause that?
I want others more knowledgeable than me to weigh in but have read to leave passenger side a little less. Let’s say 6.5 drivers and 6.4 passenger. Seems to assist road crown differences.
Agree with above. Hopefully, others more knowledgeable will chime in. Mine was set by a dedicated alignment shop at 6.9 drivers and 6.5 passenger. No def pull is noticeable. Tracks very straight.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
This pull is opposite of the road crown. After the adjustment the thrust angle is out. The only thing I can think of is maybe my track bar is binding and pulling the axle?
Sorry. I actually meant the other way. Set arms on passenger side like 1/8 longer.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Sting Gray
Yes, that is likely the cause of your wandering. Need to shorten up the uppers or lengthen the lower control arms. (Or combo of both)
Got my caster adjusted today. Man does it drive so much better! These are my new specs. I asked them to get it at 6, but I said a little higher was ok. Is this too much caster now?

Jeep Wrangler JL CASTER 6 or 5.5??? E6EC8617-2AF3-43F3-9AEA-7D68A1F42433

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Got my caster adjusted today. Man does it drive so much better! These are my new specs. I asked them to get it at 6, but I said a little higher was ok. Is this too much caster now?
Mine's at 6 no problem. Lots of people reporting 7 or 7.5 is even better.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL CASTER 6 or 5.5??? E6EC8617-2AF3-43F3-9AEA-7D68A1F42433
I wouldn’t go any higher but that should be fine as long as you keep your FAD operational. Switching to a one piece axle shaft could make it a problem. (Maybe)

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t go any higher but that should be fine as long as you keep your FAD operational. Switching to a one piece axle shaft could make it a problem. (Maybe)
Thanks! Any issue with it being a .5 difference from one side to the other?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As long as it drives straight I wouldn't worry too much. Setting them different can help offset the effects of road crown. Also manufacturing variances can cause discrepancies in the mounts, in the adjustment in the arms, etc. Its usually a little closer than .5 but again, if it drives nice it may not be worth the effort

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as it drives straight I wouldn't worry too much. Setting them different can help offset the effects of road crown. Also manufacturing variances can cause discrepancies in the mounts, in the adjustment in the arms, etc. Its usually a little closer than .5 but again, if it drives nice it may not be worth the effort
I am heading out camping this weekend so I will have a nice long drive to test it out. Would it pull left or right with the way my caster is?

Sponsored

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am heading out camping this weekend so I will have a nice long drive to test it out. Would it pull left or right with the way my caster is?
The fun continues...So after the alignment the wandering is definitely better, but I seem to have a slight pull to the left. Also I just noticed that my steering stabilizer is now making contact with my track bar jam nut when turning to the passenger side. Could this be caused by the added caster? Also I just noticed that my drag link seems to be loose after this alignment. This thing is constantly fighting me. Any advice would be appreciated.

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
Pinion angle and castor move together right? When you adjust one the other moves proportionately?

Not to hijack the thread but after my RC spacer lift was installed the castor is sitting at 3.6 both sides - which is just below what the alignment machine says is minimum of 4.1. Jeep drives almost the same as stock - not wandering but you do feel bumps pull a bit.

I still have stock lower and upper so can't adjust but wondering if there's anything negative that could happen mechanically from driving with this castor?

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Where is the best location to measure your castor?

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Where is the best location to measure your castor?
I measure off the two flat round surfaces on either side of the front diff. If they measure 0 degrees you're around 6 degrees of caster. Doing it this way I was within .2 degrees of what it read on an alignment rack.

You can measure off the top of the upper ball joint or the knuckle, but they are compound angles so it's kind of tricky to get it right.
Sponsored