Car Wash with softtop?

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I live where bugs are the daily norm. That being said I wash my JL by hand for the simple reason it is good exercise and takes a quarter of the time a run through the carwash takes. Also, I don't have to worry about the side and rear windows getting screwed up.

Speaking of windows I use some stuff originally designed for aircraft. It's called RAIN REPELLENT MAX by Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics. Fromulated for motorcycles and aircraft; also works great for car, truck, RV and boat winshields.
A carwash takes about 5 minutes tops. So you wash your car by hand in less than 2 minutes?
Sponsored

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
Took my TJ through an automatic touchless wash once to check for soft top leaks. It wasn't a fair test because the spray pressure and angles are not realistic to driving in rain. The TJ leaked inside at both side window panel top zippers, and where the cargo window panel met the side panels at the roof rear corners. So, I learned how to then hand pressure wand soap and rinse from then on. For the many years I drove the TJ, in all kinds of seasonal weather (Illinois, New Jersey, California), the top didn't leak.

I fell in to a therapeutic routine that is stress release for me. Now, with a new JL, I treat it like the TJ. DIY wash bay...hand pressure wand soap and rinse.

...synthetic shammy drying order of glass windows, plastic windows, all paint panels. ...micro fiber polishing cloth glass windows, plastic windows, side mirrors. ...micro fiber drying towel hood/cargo/door jams. soft top, bumpers, rock rails, wheels.

Drive home...water blown from nooks and crannies. Usually will be a quick spray wax and window polish but hand waxing as needed. A wheel detailing. I don't put shine on the tires.

...joy...dirt...repeat...

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I do it all the time. One of the ones with full brushes and swirly things. My jeep still looks good two years later. The windows do have lots of tiny micro swirls on them so I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re anal about your soft windows but this is my third jeep with a soft top and I learned a long time ago that no matter how much you baby the windows they’re going to get scratched so you might as well not worry about it.

In fact I just washed the jeep yesterday. I got some help from the Airedale named Grant-

B6F300E3-F27B-42CD-88D0-3FB51F205006.jpeg
14EA6C20-BB00-4EC4-AB0C-D12899D8397E.jpeg
1C0BE99E-DB04-4FE2-92BC-908C393CEADA.jpeg

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Sure do but it takes another 10 minutes to hand dry the jeep. Water here in Pamlico County is full of additives. So much that if I don 't hand dry pronto water will leave water stains.
When you say "wash" it just seems the drying part should be all inclusive. So in actuality it takes you 12 minutes. Just splitting hairs..lol..don't take offense.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I use to take my ole beater truck into one of those full service car wash places that runs the car through an automatic wash bay, then dry the outside, clean wheels and then clean the inside. That truck was so damn swirly after a few years. Now I go to a place that hand cleans my vehicles while I shop and they do a great job for the same money. I would really shop around and see what’s around. Would even consider getting someone to regularly come to the house if the price is right.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
When you say "wash" it just seems the drying part should be all inclusive. So in actuality it takes you 12 minutes. Just splitting hairs..lol..don't take offense.
I'm looking at 20 minutes round trip to the car wash, and that's without waiting in line. Then add time for the actual wash.
I do mine by hand at home, we have well water that goes through a 5 micron carbon filter, doesn't leave any spots.
Sponsored