Can't Decide, UGH! Help Please

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
I'm well on my way to ordering my first Wrangler. I've figured out everything I want....except the top!
I had settled on the Dual Top combo but then realized by the time I added that to the cost I wasn't that far off from the price of the Sky One-Touch.
Both options have pros and cons. I can store a hard top is needed, but don't really want too. But I'm not sold 100% on the look of the Sky-One Touch with the windows removed.
I live in Michigan so a soft-top is really only usable May-Sept (yes I know there are warmer days in April and October but not many)

Any help or information to help me narrow this down would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT.... this will be a lease so aftermarket isn't really an option and $$ is not a factor in my decision between tops. I also have no plans to run completely top less or doorless...but I do want some open air.

I know I know
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
I’d go with the dual top. You can sell the one you don’t end up using. Another thing to consider is if you order it with a soft top only, your Jeep won’t come wired for hard top connections at the rear. The one-touch top looks pretty cool, but being unable to remove the rear glass would get on my nerves. And it’s very expensive.

Having lived with the hard top for a year and having removed it about 20 times, makes me wish I had a soft top for the warmer months.

TRJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Rubicon
Go dual top, seeing your in Michigan you will appreciate the hard top during the winter, and love the soft top / no top during the warmer months.

Edorand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've had 2 JKs [one hard top for winter/besttop slant top for summer, one premium soft top] and my JL is a hard top. I wish I got the SkyTop for this one..it really does mesh both tops together very nicely. Take today for example - it's gong to be about 65 degrees, but tomorrow will be back down into the 40s. I could just open the SkyTop today and simply close it tonight, back to normal "hard top" type for tomorrow.

Sponsored

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Dual top is what I'd go with. Can set up a rig to remove and store the hard top for when you are not using it. Seen many that are set up as a back in to remove, nose in to park.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
No experience with sky top but I’ve run a dual top set up for years on my JKUR and now on my JLUR. Hardtop is more functional in winter but soft top is a must have in warmer months. I ran my JKUR with only the hard top for a year. Yes it looked awesome with the hard top pulled off but i could only run it with the top completely off around town. Couldn’t risk getting caught in the rain on a beach trip or off-road trip a few hours away.

1EB4F21C-5B85-41A4-AF55-B9E236256F94.jpeg

2AA8C276-BFC0-4923-B71B-4C97082E63D1.jpeg

FFB4B4CA-9B2D-4FB5-AF20-068D09A61E68.jpeg

BDA957F5-20F9-43F4-922D-6801D430F7B8.jpeg

OP
OP

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should also add it's a lease so I can't really sell one of the tops and buying one after the fact isn't an option either.
Also, I don't see me ever running doorless and completely topless. If I went dual hard top would come off for soft top when weather appropriate.
Part of me doesn't want to deal with removal/storage of the hard top and putting on the soft top and the reverse in the Fall.
But at the same time I do want some open air from time to time. Maybe I do need the Sky One-Touch?

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Dual top....looks better when its off. vs. a sky top just being open..

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
Love my sky one touch! I love that I can open and close it at will while on the move with the push of a button. Driving around town it’s open all the time, as soon as I hit the on ramp to the interstate I cloes it so I dont get blown around. Hit the off ramp push the button and open again. It really is the best of both worlds, the ability to open and close at will like the soft top ( except it only takes 20 seconds with the push of a button without having to stop or even slow down below 60mph) with the look, and security of the hard top. Only down side is back hatch window is not removable but that has not bothered me one bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh.... it would have been nice to have had this information on your first post, you’d gotten a lot more accurate suggestions.:facepalm:...... :)
Sorry about that....I guess I didn't think out my initial post as much as I thought I had.

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
Im from Michigan too. I bought my first JK because the wife wanted a convertible and i wanted an off road toy(JK was also a 3rd vehicle). In the 4 years i had the JK we only went topless 4-5 times. We put the soft top on one time to try it out and both of us disliked it, so it got put on a shelf for 4 years. What we ended up doing the vast majority of the time was just taking off the front panels of the hard top.

So.... my question to you is will you & your family really be going as topless as you think? We thought we would do it all the time! Ended up doing it just about once a year...

In your position I might consider just getting the Hard top and possibly buying an after market soft top or bikini top. Sky top might be a good option too, if your willing to spend the $$.

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
No experience with sky top but I’ve run a dual top set up for years on my JKUR and now on my JLUR. Hardtop is more functional in winter but soft top is a must have in warmer months. I ran my JKUR with only the hard top for a year. Yes it looked awesome with the hard top pulled off but i could only run it with the top completely off around town. Couldn’t risk getting caught in the rain on a beach trip or off-road trip a few hours away.

1EB4F21C-5B85-41A4-AF55-B9E236256F94.jpeg

2AA8C276-BFC0-4923-B71B-4C97082E63D1.jpeg

FFB4B4CA-9B2D-4FB5-AF20-068D09A61E68.jpeg

BDA957F5-20F9-43F4-922D-6801D430F7B8.jpeg

One of the best looking jeeps I have seen!!

OP
OP

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the responses.....still not 100% sure which way to go....but I think I'm leaning toward Sky One-Touch
Sponsored