Canadians having second thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zznalg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S manual
With a US-Canada trade war ramping up, I'm just curious if some Canadians may be having second thoughts about buying a US built and iconic vehicle? Of course, all vehicles are to a large degree, multinational in terms of part sourcing, etc.
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
With a US-Canada trade war ramping up, I'm just curious if some Canadians may be having second thoughts about buying a US built and iconic vehicle? Of course, all vehicles are to a large degree, multinational in terms of part sourcing, etc.
Not trying to jack your thread, but this is very interesting. In the US, we don't see a trade war with Canada, just a desire on the President's part to renegotiate NAFTA. His nonsensical treatment of Mexico is closer, but even that isn't about trade per se. We see a lot of trade conflict with Europe, and a true trade war ramping up with China. But not a war with Canada...

Of course, partisans on both sides inflame everything, so maybe you're reading too much right or left wing "journalism." :giggle:

Boff

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ, 2015 Mustang GT
Well I’ve lived within an hour’s car drive from the USA my whole life...to me, the USA is like those really awesome neighbors who you are always meeting up with for beer and BBQ, minding each other’s kids, watering each other’s plants when away, etc. Sure, there was that time crazy cousin Donald came to stay for a while and caused a ruckus, but the friendship endures.

By the way my non-Jeep is a Mustang GT screwed together in Michigan with a Canadian engine and Chinese transmission. Pretty hard to express nationalism through car choice these days.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Not trying to jack your thread, but this is very interesting. In the US, we don't see a trade war with Canada, just a desire on the President's part to renegotiate NAFTA. His nonsensical treatment of Mexico is closer, but even that isn't about trade per se. We see a lot of trade conflict with Europe, and a true trade war ramping up with China. But not a war with Canada...

Of course, partisans on both sides inflame everything, so maybe you're reading too much right or left wing "journalism." :giggle:
If this were simply a negotiation it would be different but when a neighbour declares you to be a "National Security Threat" its a whole different matter. As a Canadian who winters in the US and pours money into the US economy for 5 months each year, I am now looking at wintering in a more welcoming Mexico.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am awaiting delivery so that decision is history for me. With cars it is difficult as they are built in both countries and there has been a mutually beneficial auto agreement in place but now that Trump has declared Canada to be a National Security Threat I find myself looking at a "Made in USA" label differently.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I am now looking at wintering in a more welcoming Mexico.

Uhhhh have fun with that.... and the national security threat is if an entire sector of production is decimated in any country leaving that country unable to provide for itself in a sector that is vital to national secruity... not that Canada is a threat directly in a militarily sense..... and sure you could say Canada will always help us out, we don’t need to worry... tell that to Churchill when they were begging for US help... that instance worked out, but it certainly wasn’t guaranteed. IMHO, if any area of our production is so depleted that we need to completely rely on foreign powers it is a secruity threat, and when tariffs imposed by other countries expedite the demise of our domestic business, action needs to be taken to defend our interests.... this isn’t new, it’s been going on for a long time.... it’s not personal, it’s just time to right the ship.

TonkaToy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ and 2018 Jeep JL (both yellow 2 door Sport)
If this were simply a negotiation it would be different but when a neighbour declares you to be a "National Security Threat" its a whole different matter. As a Canadian who winters in the US and pours money into the US economy for 5 months each year, I am now looking at wintering in a more welcoming Mexico.
I just moved back to Canada after living in Mexico for 3 years (with my jeep...see my profile pic). Do it! It's great!

TonkaToy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ and 2018 Jeep JL (both yellow 2 door Sport)
It's not like there is such thing as a 100% US made car anyway.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Don’t want get everyone riled up and not specifically talking about just CA but to put it simply all he desires is fair and reciprocal trade.

True his delivery is bombastic and direct but at least no one has to interpret what he means. He’s not a politician, feelings will be hurt.

Piggy bank no more, this country has been taken advantage of for far too long.

OP
OP

zznalg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S manual
I'm wondering about people on the fence about a Jeep purchase in Canada. Is the current political environment part of your thought process?

Sponsored

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Yeah what he's doing has been needed. Trade is benefiting everyone but the US. Sure the other countries will be screwed when it's fair but that's their problem not ours. When you're the most powerful you shouldn't allow yourself to be taken advantage of to the degree we have with trade

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Uhhhh have fun with that.... and the national security threat is if an entire sector of production is decimated in any country leaving that country unable to provide for itself in a sector that is vital to national secruity... not that Canada is a threat directly in a militarily sense..... and sure you could say Canada will always help us out, we don’t need to worry... tell that to Churchill when they were begging for US help... that instance worked out, but it certainly wasn’t guaranteed. IMHO, if any area of our production is so depleted that we need to completely rely on foreign powers it is a secruity threat, and when tariffs imposed by other countries expedite the demise of our domestic business, action needs to be taken to defend our interests.... this isn’t new, it’s been going on for a long time.... it’s not personal, it’s just time to right the ship.
This.

I think the OP is misinterpreting the point. The above lays it out well, and every country including Canada functions this way.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those who claim the US is being taken advantage of, please look at the actual US/Canada trade numbers. In the latest published statistics (2016) the US had a $12.5 billion trade surplus with Canada.

US exports to Canada were $320.1 billion, while imports from Canada were $307.6 billion.

How is Canada taking advantage of the US?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Politics were not part of the thought process at all. In fact, I enjoy and approve that the Wrangler is produced in Ohio. There is a large belt of auto makers in the center of both Canada and the US that brings us together. Also, with production being in "local" it's much easier to order a custom-built vehicle since delivery from the plant takes only a few weeks, versus foreign imports that come over by boat. Would any American be concerned that their Dodge Grand Caravan was made in Canada?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.