Sponsored

Camber changes every time I'm at alignment shop

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JL Sport
The sine of 1 degree is .017". If you said your tires were 30" diameter, 1 degree difference would be .51" (1/2").

If you said your balljoints are about 10" apart, they would have a total of about 1/3rd of the amount of the tire movement or about .17" (almost 3/16").

These inspections indicate something like your ball joints or hubs are worn out, wheels are loose or their machine has a serious lack of repeatability.
Ball Joints are aftermarket and less than 6 months old. They've been under quite a few death wobble episodes since their install while I've tried to sort out the suspension issues on this car. The car has no more death wobble and I can't articulate the wheels off the ground side to side of in and out so I wouldn't think I've blown them out just yet. The wheels are definitely on to torque. Wheel hubs have never been replaced. This car has less than 10k miles on it. Would there be something specific I'd be looking for?

With all that being said the car seems to be driving just fine. Drove it 90mph down the interstate this AM with no vibrations, pull, or shimmy. I'm hesitant to go after things like this with all the problems I've already have with this car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JL Sport
In your first post you mentioned in and out of shops. We’re these different shops that did the alignment?
The first one was one town fair tire and the last two were from another. Now that you mention that I wonder if their machines have a little variance. I should take it back to the first one and have them just print out the sheet for me to confirm...

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The first one was one town fair tire and the last two were from another. Now that you mention that I wonder if their machines have a little variance. I should take it back to the first one and have them just print out the sheet for me to confirm...
I suspected you had installed aftermarket Dynatrac balljoints when you stated you hadn't adjusted them, since Dynatrac balljoints are the only balljoints that I know are adjustable. I recently installed them in my JLUR to address a light shimmy at high speed when hitting a particular bump in the road. I also installed Reid knuckles at that time. It did eliminate the shimmy.

But to your question, I think you're likely seeing some kind of measurment error. Or you did something pretty violent to bend your axle. Proving again that diagnosis over the internet is a WAG game.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JL Sport
I suspected you had installed aftermarket Dynatrac balljoints when you stated you hadn't adjusted them, since Dynatrac balljoints are the only balljoints that I know are adjustable. I recently installed them in my JLUR to address a light shimmy at high speed when hitting a particular bump in the road. I also installed Reid knuckles at that time. It did eliminate the shimmy.

But to your question, I think you're likely seeing some kind of measurment error. Or you did something pretty violent to bend your axle. Proving again that diagnosis over the internet is a WAG game.
Teraflex and you can only adjust preload not camber. I appreciate any advice you guys have on these things. Wrangler front suspension is truly a puzzle

Sponsored

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
As some have said, if there are no driving issues or tire wear I would move on. Really wouldn't worry about camber unless I thought I bent something or was getting weird tire wear. Alignment racks and the people using them can be wrong and often are. A lot of the techs are using factory specs and do not have a clue beyond that. You can do just as good and most likely better yourself with a little practice and a flat area to work with.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Not when a human is involved……lol. The machine is repeatable, but how it gets racked, and how the sensors are placed on the wheels are not an exact science…..
Your right! My friend's shop has an alignment rack and just by angling the machines sensors by the tires can give different readings. He could even angle the sensors to make it show it was in spec!
Sponsored