Sponsored

Buying take-offs without TPMS - can I add them?

22hvjeepgirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (ordered)
Occupation
Teacher
I'm buying Gladiator Rubicon take-offs for my 22 JLU sport. THey are brand new and a great deal, but they don't have TPMS> can I add them?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

yup. just have to buy them. I cannot remember the website but i know there are a few that are relatively inexpensive.

TucsonDweller

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi 2.0 eTorque
Yes. But the tires must be removed and replaced (and balanced). I just had Discount tire quote me at $60/tire to buy new sensors. That includes install (for a different vehicle but I’m sure the cost is the same).

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Yes new TPMS sensors can be installed.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You can move the ones from your wheels over. When I bought take-offs, Discount Tire charged me $300 to unmount my stock wheels, transfer the TPMS, and then remount the take-offs.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
You can move the ones from your wheels over. When I bought take-offs, Discount Tire charged me $300 to unmount my stock wheels, transfer the TPMS, and then remount the take-offs.
The last set I bought was half that for 5 brand new sensors installed.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The last set I bought was half that for 5 brand new sensors installed.
Congrats? This was ~a year ago. This wasn't installation only - they had to pull off my stock wheels/tires, unmount the tires from the wheels, remove the TPMS, unmount the new wheels/tires, install the TPMS, then remount both sets of wheels/tires and install the take-offs. It's a lot of work, so I figured $30/tire (times 10 tires) was pretty fair for their labor, along with the fact that I don't have the tools/knowledge necessary to do it myself.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You can usually talk down the pricing at Discount Tire. I had them put them on at $25 per wheel. Try a couple different shops.

sailscall

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sport 6MT
As the OP is in the boondocks (yeah, I went to college there) her best choice is Dunn Tire. Last year I had Dunn Tire take the TPMS and tires off my steelies and install them on my new to me Willys rims. I think I paid about $150. I then had someone buy the steelies for $100.

You may want to buy 5 new TPMS and then try to sell your takeoffs whole. I'd ask $700-750 for them to see if you have any takers. If not, let them go for whatever anyone will give for them. There was a really nice set of Freedom wheels (think Willys but silver) and tires for sale in Bradford, PA recently. I think they wanted around $700.

Sponsored

TucsonDweller

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi 2.0 eTorque
Congrats? This was ~a year ago. This wasn't installation only - they had to pull off my stock wheels/tires, unmount the tires from the wheels, remove the TPMS, unmount the new wheels/tires, install the TPMS, then remount both sets of wheels/tires and install the take-offs. It's a lot of work, so I figured $30/tire (times 10 tires) was pretty fair for their labor, along with the fact that I don't have the tools/knowledge necessary to do it myself.
At the price Discount tire quoted me last week, it would be the same $300 for 5 tires, but with new sensors. Allowing the old wheels to be sold for a higher price with included TPMS. As a counter point, I would say I would value the OEM TPMS sensors more than whatever generic brand Discount offers. But if the sensors are 2+ years old, I think the degraded batteries would offset that value and I’d go with new sensors. Just my 2 cents.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Maverick909

YES, tpmsbargains.com you linked to is an excellent place to buy TPMS's. What they sell is not counterfeit, they have fresh stock, etc.. .... their Customer Service is top notch also.

I highly recommend https://www.tpmsbargains.com

Unfortunately, the link you gave takes you to Schrader TPMS's that will not work with many 2021 JL's, 2022 JL's and 2023 JL's.

The OP has a 2022 JL. She needs Continental TPMS's, not Schrader's.

Update: Schrader 33500 "programmable" sensor now has the protocol for the newer Jeeps.

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

@Maverick909

YES, tpmsbargains.com you linked to is an excellent place to buy TPMS's. What they sell is not counterfeit, they have fresh stock, etc.. .... their Customer Service is top notch also.

I highly recommend https://www.tpmsbargains.com

Unfortunately, the link you gave takes you to Schrader TPMS's that will not work with many 2021 JL's, 2022 JL's and 2023 JL's.

The OP has a 2022 JL. She needs Continental TPMS's, not Schrader's.
great catch. I had no clue it changed for the 21-23 models -_- i have a 18 JLU that was on my account already just grabbed the last set with a link OOPPPPPS

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
great catch. I had no clue it changed for the 21-23 models -_- i have a 18 JLU that was on my account already just grabbed the last set with a link OOPPPPPS
You get an A+ from me for recommending tpmsbargains.com!

6/5/21 they changed from Schrader 29093 to Continental sensors

If a 2021 JL was built BEFORE 6/5/21 you need Schrader sensors. If AFTER then you need the Continental sensor.

Someone that has a 2019 and is unsure what TPMS's they have on their JL with factory wheels/tires ans TPMS's can give dealer parts guy the Vin# of their vehicle and with that the parts guy can tell them what TPMS is on the wheels.

Update: Schrader 33500 "programmable" sensor now has the protocol for the newer Jeeps.
Sponsored

Last edited: