Sponsored

Buying take-offs without TPMS - can I add them?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
JUST MOVE OVER YOUR CURRENT TPMS SENSORS.

Trust me, it will save you tons of headache. Trying to find the right TPMS sensors for your particular vehicle is a crap shoot. If you are paying to get new tires mounted + balanced it'll be a $10-15 per (new) wheel upcharge. So $50-60 total, and that's less than you'll pay for new TPM Sensors alone.
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

Trust me, it will save you tons of headache. Trying to find the right TPMS sensors for your particular vehicle is a crap shoot. If you are paying to get new tires mounted + balanced it'll be a $10-15 per (new) wheel upcharge. So $50-60 total, and that's less than you'll pay for new TPM Sensors alone.
It isn't a crap shoot at all.

OP @22hvjeepgirl - depending on what you are doing with your old tires that should lead you to your decision. Yes you can move your current TPMS. As example above breaking down now 2 sets and moving them will net you a loss in cost compared to just buying a new set of TPMS and installing them. Also you will get more for your old set most likely if selling complete with TPMS. If your old set are trash and you are just throwing them away then by all.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I just ordered a set of 5 from mopar parts for $144.66 total with shipping ordered off my vin number. I want to keep two sets of wheels for my Jeep, this was the cheapest place I found them. OEM?

SW Florida-Hank

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Willys 2-Door, 2023 Gladiator High Altitude
Good morning, looks like TPMSbargins has a sale for the newer versions:

Jeep Wrangler JL Buying take-offs without TPMS - can I add them? 1675169545589

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

OP
OP
22hvjeepgirl

22hvjeepgirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (ordered)
Occupation
Teacher
Can I get them at Extreme Terrain?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
22hvjeepgirl

22hvjeepgirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (ordered)
Occupation
Teacher

I want to use my current wheels and tires for winter.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
They are different from 2021 to current. So make sure that you purchase the correct ones for the year of your JL. Discount tire had the ones that we needed, plus they installed them.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I will give you some real world experience. Problem is this. I'm guessing the seller of the wheels removed the TPMS sensors. Since they are rubber snap in ones, they are easy to remove. I bet the seller had a place break down the outer bead, use a small torx and removed the TPMS sensors, yet leaving the valve stem. Then the seller took his new wheels, bought the valve stems and reinstalled the sensors (trust me, I've seen this a dozen times with Jeeps).

As for what you need to do is just buy the sensors (if they offer them separately). Have a shop break down just the outer bead and then install the sensor on the valve stem. No need for re-balance and whatnot. I know I'm not an intranets expert but as one in the real world that actually does this quite often, then you might not want to take my advice.

Then, I think it's month 6 in year 2021 where the TPMS sensors changed on Jeeps. Trust me, the TPMS sellers know what is the exact date of the switchover.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will give you some real world experience. Problem is this. I'm guessing the seller of the wheels removed the TPMS sensors. Since they are rubber snap in ones, they are easy to remove. I bet the seller had a place break down the outer bead, use a small torx and removed the TPMS sensors, yet leaving the valve stem. Then the seller took his new wheels, bought the valve stems and reinstalled the sensors (trust me, I've seen this a dozen times with Jeeps).

As for what you need to do is just buy the sensors (if they offer them separately). Have a shop break down just the outer bead and then install the sensor on the valve stem. No need for re-balance and whatnot. I know I'm not an intranets expert but as one in the real world that actually does this quite often, then you might not want to take my advice.

Then, I think it's month 6 in year 2021 where the TPMS sensors changed on Jeeps. Trust me, the TPMS sellers know what is the exact date of the switchover.
I agree... IF you know for sure the TPMS's were removed as you said then indeed, no need to balance.

Earlier posts in this thread addressed the need to acquire the correct TPMS.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
It isn't a crap shoot at all.
LOL it is.

My Wrangler is a 2021 built in November 2020. I was told that there were three different possible sensors for vehicles built in 2020, but the dealer checked with FCA and gave me part numbers they said would work. Obviously their prices were ridiculous so I went to TPMSBargains.com cause they were highly recommended then just as they are now. The part numbers they came up with were the same and less than half price. So I ordered them. Well, they didn't work...and of course I learned this AFTER the mounting and balancing was complete...so now the dealer had to open up the wheels again, and it was decided that since my JL was close to when the factory changed systems that it must have gotten a leftover old one, so they tried the old sensors. ALSO NO GO. Finally I threw up my hands and said lets just use the ones that it came with - turns out they were the newer system that supposedly wasn't used until two months after my JL was built. Had I just moved them over it would have cost me $60 on top of the regular mount and balance charge. Instead it cost me almost $400.

Obviously if you can't use your existing sensors cause you need them then you can't avoid the hassle...but perhaps take your spare to a tire place and have them just pop the bead so they can get a part number off the sensor. It may save you hundreds of dollars.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@TheRaven I think you were an anomaly as well as trying to swap TPMS closer to the shit show that was the changeover in 2021. Jeep dealers had no clue about the change only a part#. Continental didn't even know which one of their sensors was being used and thought FCA was using a Schrader sensor. All has finally been sorted out and it is much easier to figure out and get the correct TPMS now for all the current and older JL's. It was definitely an unprecedented supply chain mess. FCA has never changed a sensor or protocol mid year on any of their vehicles. Now BMW and Toyota they are always a shit show.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
...the shit show...
An accurate description for many facets of owning an FCA product. But that's why I put my warning up. I've learned to triple-check everything on this vehicle.

Last edited:

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@TheRaven I think you were an anomaly as well as trying to swap TPMS closer to the shit show that was the changeover in 2021. Jeep dealers had no clue about the change only a part#. Continental didn't even know which one of their sensors was being used and thought FCA was using a Schrader sensor. All has finally been sorted out and it is much easier to figure out and get the correct TPMS now for all the current and older JL's. It was definitely an unprecedented supply chain mess. FCA has never changed a sensor or protocol mid year on any of their vehicles. Now BMW and Toyota they are always a shit show.
Jeep went from Schrader to Conti for the OEM supplier. Thus the change in 2021. There was no way Conti was going to make it the same as Schrader. Toyota is a PIA with some as there are "high line" and "lo line" versions for some models.

What I find is that Schrader and Conti (aka VDO) are the best to buy for syncing up to a system. None of this cloning of a sensor and whatnot with the cheaper brands. I do like that with Jeep, new correct sensors pick up right away and you don't need anything special to program the system.
Sponsored