BUG SPLATTER!

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
In all seriousness, what do you all use for bug gunk on the grill, fenders, etc.. (painted areas)? Is it as simple as water and rag/sponge? Or is their a safer better way? Thanks for the input. I just dont want bugs staining the paint
To be honest just a good cleaning regimen will make life easier. Take everything down and start fresh. Wash, claybar, polish (lightest grit and don't fixate in one spot too long if you're using a machine, you'll burn through), then a good wax. After the wax then use a good sealant. Once you have a good foundation then just wash with good gentle automotive soap, do not use dish soap or simple green or anything like that. Use the two bucket system (one for rinse with a sand trap, and one for soap). Use clean microfibers mitts and an oversized microfiber to dry. I wax and reseal every 6 months. Bugs, rain, pollen, road grime, tar, etc comes off easy. Half the time if it rains the bugs just fall off and I rarely have to use my windshield wipers unless it dumping buckets. It's a lot of work, but it's only twice a year and then just regular washes once a month. Also helps to have a little brother who wants that gas money :)

Trev.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I ceramic coated everything, paint, glass and plastic. Bugs wipe off easily, even after sometimes baking in the California sun. Bugs rinse off easily with just a hose.

OP
OP
JLFig9

JLFig9

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JLU)
Occupation
Railroad Engineer
Thanks for the input. I'm new to the Jeep world and want a nice looking rig and I want to take care of it. I appreciate the help.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just hooked my winsdhield washing switch to the aux 4 switch and added a 5 gallon tank of windshield washer so I can run with the windshield washer on all the time.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
walmart had a closeout on a Stanley car pressure washer for $40 i bought one to get the bugs off and not have to goto the car wash every day it works like a dream.

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The silver lining is that it’s a very small windshield, and easy to wash.
Glass-half-full Joe
That's the ticket right there Joe. I was cleaning the guts of a suicidal flying bug off the windshield today, and said what the heck it's so easy I'll just clean the inside also. I never say that with my Corvette. You can't even get to the dang bottom of the glass inside of that thing. As far as bugs on a Jeep, I figure when you push something shaped like a brick with a windshield through the wind you gonna get some dead bugs. I'm taking mine to the Expel installer next week, and have the grill, and headlights covered. Can't have bug guts eating up the paint on my new baby don'tcha know.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
In all seriousness, what do you all use for bug gunk on the grill, fenders, etc.. (painted areas)? Is it as simple as water and rag/sponge? Or is their a safer better way? Thanks for the input. I just dont want bugs staining the paint
Cody, I use Stoner's Invisible Glass in the spray can for the bugs in the windshield. Out of the can it foams up, and I let it sit a bit to soften the mess up. On the front I use Meguiar's Ultimate waterless wash, and a micro fiber towel. It's a synthetic polymer, and leaves a beautiful shine. (I use it, and the rest of the Meguiars Ultimate line on all of my vehicles.) Great stuff. Both can be had at your local Wally World if you're interested.

BTW, can I drive your train sometime? :)

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I was reading an article about automotive paint a few months back (yea I know, exciting life!) and the author swears that the more chemicals that get added to windshield washer fluid to make it work better the worse it is for our clearcoat and paint, makes sense to me. He claimed paint damage and peeling like in the picture are most likely caused by windshield washer fluid. I just use the blue cheap crap, but i pay special attention to clean and rewax where it goes that's not on the windshield on a regular basis. I'm not 100% sure of his claims, but did you notice how many paint jobs that peel start right at the edge of the windshield or on the hood around the spray nozzles?

thumbnail_zpsgbgrvtmh.jpg

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I was reading an article about automotive paint a few months back (yea I know, exciting life!) and the author swears that the more chemicals that get added to windshield washer fluid to make it work better the worse it is for our clearcoat and paint, makes sense to me. He claimed paint damage and peeling like in the picture are most likely caused by windshield washer fluid. I just use the blue cheap crap, but i pay special attention to clean and rewax where it goes that's not on the windshield on a regular basis. I'm not 100% sure of his claims, but did you notice how many paint jobs that peel start right at the edge of the windshield or on the hood around the spray nozzles?
I don't know if the studies correct, or not. But, I quit using the windshield washer years ago. In my small, burned out old mind I figure if the stuff cuts through bug guts and other stuff it can't be good for the paint. But, I'm just a simple person with simple thoughts. ;):)

Sponsored

Notasuv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Without a doubt this is the worse year for love bugs....and we have been thru decades of bugs......

OP
OP
JLFig9

JLFig9

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroad Engineer
Jim thanks for the great info. I'll be out looking for some of that stuff this weekend. As for the train...sure bud anytime! I never mind BUT...my company may. Only if we get caught! Working a route right now that starts at 9pm M-F, sleeping most of the day. Kinda getting in the way of my quality time with my 2 week old Jeep! NOT FAIR

OP
OP
JLFig9

JLFig9

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroad Engineer
DAMN...I retract my statement and will keep my mouth shut.
Sponsored