Sponsored

Borla Climber Touring notes

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Installed the Borla Climber last Friday. First test drive was rattle free, then went on a 2 hour trip and it drove me nuts with rattles, clunks and assorted noises. Inspection showed the rubber isolaters pushed towards the rear of the vehicle. Had to trim 1.75" off the muffler to shorten it and get the tail pipe location correct. Quiet and rattle free now. Tucks up WAY tighter than the Dynomax muffler delete.
Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring notes 20211017_144738_HDR
Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring notes 20211017_144754
Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring notes 20211017_144701
Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
This one is definitely on my short list. I’m sure it cleans up the boat anchor quite nicely as well.
Did you put any heat shield or insulation above the muffler and the body?

OP
OP
RedundanT

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Muffler sits where the resonator was, so I didn't add anymore thermal barrier. Didn't see the need.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
How quiet is it compared to stock? I’d love to do one like this but don’t want something really any louder than stock

OP
OP
RedundanT

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How quiet is it compared to stock? I’d love to do one like this but don’t want something really any louder than stock
Little rumble at cold start up. Deep throaty growl above 4k RPM but daily drive is like stock. Probably too quiet for most folks.

Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I have that same exhaust and it melted my rear storage compartment. I contacted Borla and let them know. They said the had a JL onsite and sent it to their engineers who confirmed that they "could see how that could happen". They told me that they were going to send me a heat shield of some sort. That was about 14 months ago now. I emailed them a few more times and they kept saying they were going to send me a heat shield of some sort, but never did. So you may either want to make your own or find a different manufacturer to buy from.

IMG_20200809_144218.jpg

OP
OP
RedundanT

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Plenty of clearance after adjusting length of pipe coming out of muffler. If installed as is out of box then I MIGHT see that happening. Questioning Borla quality tells me you haven't seen crappy quality. They are among the best in the business.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of clearance after adjusting length of pipe coming out of muffler. If installed as is out of box then I MIGHT see that happening. Questioning Borla quality tells me you haven't seen crappy quality. They are among the best in the business.
Not questioning their quality, I'm questioning their customer service. I did send them photos of how I installed it and they said it was done correctly. I had no fitment issues. They had the chance to have a customer say nice things about them, but chose not to. I wasn't asking for anything more than the heat shield they said they would supply. I didn't even expect them to fix or replace the part that was damaged. This is their responses (below) to my emails. As you can see they were responsive to my concerns and professional about it, they just didn't follow through. I still have it on, and don't plan on taking it off, but I do need to come up with a better heat shield, the reflective tape I used, isn't enough. When it melted, I was going over the Sierras pulling a small trailer (in photo) in about 100 degree weather, So I was definitely pushing the Jeep, and creating some heat.

"I apologize for the delayed reply and I am sorry to see that your Jeep was damaged! I just forwarded your pictures to our R&D team to review, this is the first time this has happened as far as I know but at first glance your system appears to be installed correcting and you are not missing any heat shielding. We happen to have a Jeep in our shop right now that we will use for comparison, I will follow up later today to let you know what we find and how we can help." 8/13/20

"Thank you for the details! After looking at the Jeep in R&D we were able to see how this might happen in specific scenarios and we would be glad to send you some extra hear shielding to help. We don’t have the shield available right away but I should be able to send you something soon! Please just let me know where you would like us to ship it." 8/13/20

"I apologize for the wait on this, I was under the impression we would have one much sooner. I just checked in with R&D and it looks like we expect to have them ready in the next couple weeks. I have a reminder set for you so we make sure you get one as soon as they’re ready." 10/28/20

Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring notes image003

Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring notes image005

Jeep Wrangler JL Borla Climber Touring notes IMG_20200725_162007

Foulness

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have this same kit and had to shorten the pipe to get it to sit properly on the hangers. I thought it was because I added the afe y-pipe at the same time. Once trimmed, I haven't had any issues

Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
What pipe are you all trimming? I see multiple threads about the trimming. Just making note for when I get mine. Easier to cut off while not under the Jeep.

Foulness

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The tail pipe where it mates to the muffler section. If I remember correctly, the muffler section is the one that has to be trimmed since it slides into the tailpipe.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Seems ridiculous that you pay for premium exhaust (brand named Borla), and really? You have to modify it for it to work properly? I have a Borla S-Type exhaust (non-climber, and stainless finish) and it fits fine and sounds great. Unfortunately.. the reports of the black finish flaking and now the problems with the climber series make me wish I had not supported a company that let's that shit happen, then hangs their customers out to dry. :mad:

Maupar

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I have the borla installed as well. yes it did melt my rear compartment, fitment isnt the best
Sponsored