Sponsored

Bolt-on Quick disconnect sway bar recommendations

spies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
That is absurd, Swaybar links should be disconnected only when needed at lower speeds, otherwise just wait till you have to do a quick maneuver at at highway speeds and lose control because of it. There is plenty discussion here about the risk of being disconnected as daily driver.
I mean no offense by this because you have nice cars, but looking at your list of vehicles, I would absolutely expect you to say that. I'm not telling you or the OP or anybody else to run without a front bar. I'm suggesting you try it and see what you think and make your own decision. In my experience a JK or JL with stability control, no lift, and just a rear sway bar will still handle in a safe and predictable fashion. No it won't be a tesla or an infinity but it never was in the first place. Try it and make up your own mind and don't listen to FUDs on the forums. Myself included.

This is also not correct, if your tires top out before your bump stops your flex is also limited by that which is where a lift comes into play as well as mentioned above wheel offset, if you wheel are to recessed they will rub before you get to the stops thus limiting the travel.

Be careful not to install too small of a lift and later regret and then up size later (like I did, 2 months later), that is an expensive mistake
Raising your ride height has no effect on tire interference because you are still going to fully compress your suspension on obstacles. Now if by "lift" you mean "a lift kit that comes with jounce restrictors" then that makes more sense. But adding lift springs and jounce restrictors to keep your tires out of your fenders seems like a really dumb alternative to just replacing the fenders in the first place.
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The JKS quick disconnects we had on my wife's sport were great and fairly easy to install. You need a saw to cut off one of the tabs on the bottom right mount, but it was well worth it for us :beer:
20180908_133215_resized.jpg
20180908_135552_resized.jpg
Can you describe how they work? Do you disconnect the top and let them rest forward on the tie rod?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Can you describe how they work? Do you disconnect the top and let them rest forward on the tie rod?
The JKS Links do not have a stowage solution you need to be creative to tie the open end to keep it from swinging. You should look at the Rancho Links, they provide a frame mounted post that when you disconned the linle they swing uo and attached to the post, this keeps them neetlt stored when disconnected. I was going to install the JKS until I look at this issue, the Rancho is simply a better system plus there is not cutting or modification needed for the Rancho unlike the JKS

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The JKS Links do not have a stowage solution you need to be creative to tie the open end to keep it from swinging. You should look at the Rancho Links, they provide a frame mounted post that when you disconned the linle they swing uo and attached to the post, this keeps them neetlt stored when disconnected. I was going to install the JKS until I look at this issue, the Rancho is simply a better system plus there is not cutting or modification needed for the Rancho unlike the JKS
The JKS links come with a Stud mount that bolts to the upper spring perch. Nothing creative needed, just disconnect them from the axle, flip them up and attach them to the studs.

You disconnect the bottom of both links then swing them up and attach them to the included studs that mount to the upper spring perch. No need for storage like the JK variation.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
The JKS links come with a Stud mount that bolts to the upper spring perch. Nothing creative needed, just disconnect them from the axle, flip them up and attach them to the studs.

You disconnect the bottom of both links then swing them up and attach them to the included studs that mount to the upper spring perch. No need for storage like the JK variation.
Thank you I stand corrected when I installed mine in Nov 2018 that was not an option with the JKS, nice to see they have re designed that into their links.

Sponsored

Dirtydan12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Air Force
I just ordered skyjacker quick disconnects. Cheap and bolt on with no cutting. I'll get some from JKS later on down the road.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Thank you I stand corrected when I installed mine in Nov 2018 that was not an option with the JKS, nice to see they have re designed that into their links.
Do you realize that the JL sport has almost the same clearance as a JK Rubicon? (it is off by like .3in). The JK Rubicon had disconnects... also, installing a rubicon JL suspension on a JL sport will lift the sport to the same as the JL Rubicon (often even more). Disconnects do help on a stock sport a bit, and they help even more if it has a rubi suspension.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No that is not correct. Ride height ("lift") has nothing to do with flexing. Ignoring driveshaft interference and control arm bind, flex is determined by your bump stops and shock lengths.

Now with that said, the stock sport shocks are pretty short, picking up a set of rubicon shocks or some aftermarket 0" lift shocks would be a solid upgrade.

Back on topic... before investing money in sway bar disconnects, see how your jeep drives with your sway bar disconnected. Every SFA truck I've ever had I ran without a front bar. Including JK and JL. It also smooths out the ride a bit by reducing your effective front spring rate. If you like it, then just take the whole bar off, then you don't have to worry about tire interference.
The JL does not handle highway speeds well with the sway bar disconnected.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Rock Krawler makes great bolt-on disconnects that don't require any cutting/drilling.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you are not doing at least a 2" lift why waste the $$$ on Q/D links? There is a reason there are limited options for under 2" Q/D links.
Disconnects are a great first upgrade to a factory sport/sahara. There's plenty of room to get more flex out of the suspension before anything rubs. There are guys running Rubicons with 37s and no lift. There's more room in the JL fenders than there was in the JKs.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Quick disconnects are on my list when I get a lift, but honestly it only takes a few minutes to disconnect manually.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hell it pisses me off to have to get out and pull a pin and strap up the link.
So basically “ok boomer”. I’m actually gen x but i get it. Like i said i will get them when i put on my lift but in the meantime doesn’t seem like it’s worth it. And not many options when you don’t have a lift. Just JKS and you have to cut the tabs.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So basically “ok boomer”. I’m actually gen x but i get it. Like i said i will get them when i put on my lift but in the meantime doesn’t seem like it’s worth it. And not many options when you don’t have a lift. Just JKS and you have to cut the tabs.
It's not so much the disconnecting part, it's the reconnecting after getting coated in a little NW clay. I solved the issue this week though with the RK no limits links.
Sponsored